TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Very tue hawk, very true. What kind of shafts would deliver a lower flight, project x's?

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Typically, the Dynamic Golds are going to be lower than the X's, but the best bet would be to get with a fitter.

Very tue hawk, very true. What kind of shafts would deliver a lower flight, project x's?

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I agree with Hawk...get with a fitter. Shafts will perform differently for everyone

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

+2.... I agree with Hawk and 1-T

I agree with Hawk...get with a fitter. Shafts will perform differently for everyone

**I workabilitied that post using Tapatalk**

I got a round in yesterday with my CB's, it had been a full week and I was dying ot play some golf. the 2nd hole at the course I played is a short par 4 but its a hard dogleg right. if you dont hit it enough you have to go under trees. I played my 5 iron, and man I pured it, the hole reads 350, with a little downhill, I had 103 to the pin. That shot will stick out in my mind for days. the feel of a pured shot off these ions is something you will remember.

on a later par 4, thats 292, I played my 7 iron....its a hard dogleg left. I hit it solid leaving myself 106 to the pin. again....the shot felt so good. These are the things you want to remember and write about...haha

So I am at work and got a call from a random #.

Me: "Hello"
Lady: "Is this Martin"
Me: Yeeeessss???
Lady: Well I have your golf clubs.

At this point in time I'm picturing an old lady holding my clubs hostage.

Me: Does the box say TaylorMade on it??
Lady: Yes, the UPS guy just dropped them off at my house but I didn't order them.
Me: UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So basically UPS delivered the clubs to a different address (address # 3214 like my address) and this woman was kind enough to give me a call and let me know she had them. I told her I'd give her a call after work and come pick them up, she said that was fine.

Now I'm picturing an elderly lady chipping with my CB PW in her backyard. How can I work now????

Needless to say UPS is getting a verbal bomb of destruction dropped on them tomorrow.

That's a great story Mardin. Good luck with all that. You're fortunate that the lady doesn't seem to be a fan of gardening. Because she could do a lot of hoeing with a 6 iron!

So I finally got my CB's today they are perfect. They are the right length, lie, shaft, just beautiful. I was so busy tonight plus it was raining so I haven't even had a chance to give them a full swing. Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow and I can hit the range. They are just so gorgeous looking and will look perfect next to my R11.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

So I finally got my CB's today they are perfect. They are the right length, lie, shaft, just beautiful. I was so busy tonight plus it was raining so I haven't even had a chance to give them a full swing. Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow and I can hit the range. They are just so gorgeous looking and will look perfect next to my R11.

Nice!!! Let us know how the first few rounds go....

Congrats Mardin. I know you've been waiting awhile, so it has to feel sweet to have them in your hand.

Congrats Mardin. I know you've been waiting awhile, so it has to feel sweet to have them in your hand.

Its rather surreal. I've been so busy tonight I haven't even had a chance to really play with them. I have a tee time for this weekend and a match on Monday so I need to get at least two range sessions in this week to get my feel and some numbers dialed in. I'll post some pictures and possibly a video later.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Excellent! Congratulations on the new CBs! I'm looking foward to the video and hearing how your play goes.

Ok so I have had my CB's since launch date, no pun intended. Overall grade: A

Here is why. After having some old hand me downs a few year ago, I moved to the R9. I got demos and they were great. I had the fluke chance to go to the range in-20c and they had all three new irons almost two months ahead. I drooled over the mc's and never thought about the cb. I than hit them and it was like, ya these are The clubs. I have played with them a few times and really was disappointed with my swings. These do not have the 2.0 forgiveness, for sure. After numerous bad shots, in was ready to trade em. Alas, I found my swing again, sneaky and fickle thing. When hit pure, these just give me the tingles. I am very confident with these now. My lust for irons may just be cured.

Thanks to thp and forum testers for helping me with Genuine reviews. These clubs rock

Mardin, congrats on finally getting your clubs, your last story was just icing on the CB cake

Ok so I have had my CB's since launch date, no pun intended. Overall grade: A

Here is why. After having some old hand me downs a few year ago, I moved to the R9. I got demos and they were great. I had the fluke chance to go to the range in-20c and they had all three new irons almost two months ahead. I drooled over the mc's and never thought about the cb. I than hit them and it was like, ya these are The clubs. I have played with them a few times and really was disappointed with my swings. These do not have the 2.0 forgiveness, for sure. After numerous bad shots, in was ready to trade em. Alas, I found my swing again, sneaky and fickle thing. When hit pure, these just give me the tingles. I am very confident with these now. My lust for irons may just be cured.

Thanks to thp and forum testers for helping me with Genuine reviews. These clubs rock

I am happy your CB hangover has been cured. These are great clubs, I think people need to swin gthem with confidence and it sounds like you are.

I've been reading through this thread the last few weeks and you guys have done a great job detailing your experiences with the CBs. I've been playing the Lynx Blackcat tour irons for about a decade and decided it was about time I consider getting some new sticks. I'm not a big fan of clunky looking clubs and while I don't try to "work" the ball I do like to vary the trajectory for windy days or getting out of trouble etc. so IMO that ruled out all the SGI and many of the GIs as well. So after a couple of visits to the local Golfsmith and hitting several sets of irons I decided to get the CBs at the end of April. The good news for me was that after my fitting, I was standard all the way around and the DGXP S300 seemed to be a good fit and they were in stock so I pulled the trigger and have been very happy so far with the choice. As many of you have described, these clubs look great and the feel of a well struck shot is just incredible. The CB lofts are slightly stronger than my old clubs so there is no issue with distance loss. If anything I am a couple of yards longer with these and the higher ball flight is allowing more control when the ball hits the green. What I expecially like is that I don't feel the need to attack the ball with these irons. I focus on making good contact and the ball just seems to go. My tempo has definitely slowed a bit but its gotten smoother. I really do think that relates directly to the feel of the club. Mis hits are punished on distance loss but again not as badly as my old irons so to date there is not a single thing I don't like about these irons.

I've been reading through this thread the last few weeks and you guys have done a great job detailing your experiences with the CBs. I've been playing the Lynx Blackcat tour irons for about a decade and decided it was about time I consider getting some new sticks. I'm not a big fan of clunky looking clubs and while I don't try to "work" the ball I do like to vary the trajectory for windy days or getting out of trouble etc. so IMO that ruled out all the SGI and many of the GIs as well. So after a couple of visits to the local Golfsmith and hitting several sets of irons I decided to get the CBs at the end of April. The good news for me was that after my fitting, I was standard all the way around and the DGXP S300 seemed to be a good fit and they were in stock so I pulled the trigger and have been very happy so far with the choice. As many of you have described, these clubs look great and the feel of a well struck shot is just incredible. The CB lofts are slightly stronger than my old clubs so there is no issue with distance loss. If anything I am a couple of yards longer with these and the higher ball flight is allowing more control when the ball hits the green. What I expecially like is that I don't feel the need to attack the ball with these irons. I focus on making good contact and the ball just seems to go. My tempo has definitely slowed a bit but its gotten smoother. I really do think that relates directly to the feel of the club. Mis hits are punished on distance loss but again not as badly as my old irons so to date there is not a single thing I don't like about these irons.

excellent first post! I am happy that you have made the switch and are finding it to be helpful. You made a pretty big change in technology, I am sure it is night and day

Welcome to THP!

I hit these fine clubs today at the range. After changing out the grips, it is like night and day. I have found that nice fluid swings give great results. I was cracking em today with a bit of wind. Did not notice any balloon action going on. I had a case of the S**** today for my warm up. Cured that and was bombing these things. Easily hitting as far or further than my R9's. I like having the inverted cone tech in these. I noticed that my toe hits were still getting some distance and would have been very playable.

One-T is totally correct, go hit these. I feel you would be doing yourself an injustice by not doing so. I would even have a few 'pops' whilst hitting these on course now. That says a lot. I have a stag this weekend and am playing in the rain (forcast). So I am really looking forward to posting my review then.

Welcome to THP!

I hit these fine clubs today at the range. After changing out the grips, it is like night and day. I have found that nice fluid swings give great results. I was cracking em today with a bit of wind. Did not notice any balloon action going on. I had a case of the S**** today for my warm up. Cured that and was bombing these things. Easily hitting as far or further than my R9's. I like having the inverted cone tech in these. I noticed that my toe hits were still getting some distance and would have been very playable.

One-T is totally correct, go hit these. I feel you would be doing yourself an injustice by not doing so. I would even have a few 'pops' whilst hitting these on course now. That says a lot. I have a stag this weekend and am playing in the rain (forcast). So I am really looking forward to posting my review then.

Sweet bro, cant wait to see what you have to say after your wet round. But hey, at least your golfing...:)

Thanks for the welcome guys. Looks like I stumbled on a cool site. Defintiely a big change in technology for the better. The lower COG makes this club substantially more forgiving than my old irons. When first hitting them and feeling a thin shot I would look up expecting to see a low liner and insted be surprised at a reasonable ball flight. Don't get me wrong.. you can hit a low liner if contact is bad but on marginal thin contact they respond much better than my old clubs and the feedback is not nearly as harsh. A big benefit I have achieved with the slower tempo I ahve developed with these clubs is a much improved punch shot whihc comes in handy as my home course is tight and I am not the straightest with the big stick. At times my draw has a tendency to turn into a hook so I have found myself in some interesting spots on the course.

mark as far as playing in the rain goes its a stag aprty so have at it. I played about 7 holes in a deluge this past Sunday and had no real issues other than you had to really pick the ball cause the ground got really soft and I found the leading edge was digging way too much so I just choked down a bit and picked the ball the rest of the way. Although I am not dialed in as much as I would like I love the way these feel chipping around the greens even more than the full swing.

I had not even considered digging in yet. Thanks for the refresh. I know that I will be somewhat giddy, but I have to crush my buddy who stated technology is a marketing tool for golf fools. I know that these clubs cut through turf quite well so I will try to keep that in mind. At least wetness will help me clean my clubs. If I miss, then I will look good doing it.

I had not even considered digging in yet. Thanks for the refresh. I know that I will be somewhat giddy, but I have to crush my buddy who stated technology is a marketing tool for golf fools. I know that these clubs cut through turf quite well so I will try to keep that in mind. At least wetness will help me clean my clubs. If I miss, then I will look good doing it.

Go out there and crush your buddy with the CB's. Ridiculous bets among friends make victory even sweeter. i.e. Loser plays their next round in a skirt. Or the loser must play 9 holes with opposite hand clubs.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Don't sweat the digging too much. I was playing in VERY soggy conditions. Go kick some butt!

So.....after such a long wait I had even more of a longer wait because it has rained every single day for an entire week out here in PA. But today was gorgeous and sunny so I decided to hit the range with my CB's.

My first few shots were tough. I hit a few horrible shots where I took way to much of a divot. I also hit a few shots on the toe. Since these clubs are 2+ upright and 1/2''+ longer length than my last set I had a few swing/set-up changes that needed to be made. After about 20 shots I started to feel my groove and started grooving irons shots. The ball jumps off the face of this club and climbs in height. I love the high trajectory and it was working perfectly with the 7-8-9 iron shots. I can't wait to step up to shorter par 3's with these clubs. They explode off the face and just fall like a rock.

I also hit a few thin shots as well, I noticed that thin shots did not lose to much distance, the only thing they suffered from was the higher trajectory. I hit a few toed shots as well that did not suffer from accuracy issues, rather they lost about 15-20 yards. All-in-all a solid first range session with this set. I have a round set for Monday afternoon so I will report back afterwards.

Just gamed my new CB's yesterday. Love em! I got them with the standard DG S300 (not the xp) so I didn't notice any issues with high ball flight. I had a nice low penetrating flight. Are the xp's supposed to give a bit higher launch than the standard dg's? I'm off to the range for session two. Will report my findings.

Played yesterday and crushed my buddy. That is till the forth hole when I got really thirsty. My misses with these were not so bad. I loved the ball flight and balls just drop from the sky. Still very happy.

Back