TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

My pseudo unboxing from the other day. Had another range session with these and I just absolutely love them. Awesome ball flight and high trajectory. The ball drops so hard and fast that I can hear it hitting the ground from 175yds out. I also hit my 4i today. I have a 4 hybrid but got a 4i with the set for tougher lie shots. Holy hell, I can hit a 4 irons again it's magic. I did notice I had a slight fade but I was popping the 4i about 210 with a nice smooth stroke. The more my tempo and balance are aligned, the more these clubs will work for you.

Beautiful Mardin, I was wondering if you would post pics or a video. I know you will really enjoy them.

Well, another great range session! I moved to these clubs from Taylormade r7's in the hopes that I would get a more responsive and workable iron while still maintaining some forgiveness.

While my r7's were pretty much straight up GI irons, it comes as no surprise to me that the CBs are not as forgiving. Not to say you get severely penalized on miss-hits, but I am not getting anywhere near the distance or accuracy on poorly struck shots as I did with the r7's. But this isn't really a negative for me as I was looking for a club that would force me to tighten up my ballstriking. While I did get decent feedback from the r7's, the CBs give me fantastic face awareness and I know exactly where I missed right at contact.

Distance certainly isn't an issue with these babies! I have actually gained a full club on all of my irons. Not sure if this is a product of me moving to a properly fitted shaft or the clubhead itself. But either way, once I started grooving them I was absolutely pounding the ball.

In my post earlier today I commented on the ball flight I was getting and how I I didn't feel they were launching too high. Well, the ball did seem to be getting a bit further up today. Maybe because I was puring it? :D Now, I wouldn't say the flight is too high, but it's borderline. This is almost certainly due to my shaft selection. I got the standard DG S300 instead of the DG XP's in the hope that it would give me a lower, more penetrating flight. Compared to me r7 setup, it definitely did. Though ideally, I would prefer a bit lower flight. I can only imagine how I would be skying the xp's!

All in all, the CB is one hell of an iron and I am 100% pleased with my purchase. If you are looking for a club that can take you to a low single digit handicap without ruining day where you're a little off, this is the set.

More to follow!

So I had my first round with the CB's today and they are amazing. I had my best round of the year with this set today. Just amazing! I also found out I could hit a 4i again. The course I played had a few dog legs that required some conservative play and the 4i off the tee and deck proved phenomenal. When you hit these clubs solid they are so soft off the face.
My set all cleaned up after my round.

47fb9197-feb3-5e2a.jpg

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Glad you guys are loving the clubs. I do have the XPs but I am not finding the ball flight to be too high. I can see that being a problem into the wind but I have always lowered my trajectory ni those conditions so in the 2 times I have played in windy conditions I haven't noticed any negative performance differences from what I am used to as compared to a "normal shot". These clubs just look and feel so good to me> I look forward to every chance I get to hit them.

Since these clubs are a little bit lighter than my last set I found myself yesterday swinging them much harder than I had too. After a few range sessions under my belt all these clubs need are a good smooth swing. I have taken a lot more power off of my old swing and the ball in flying just the same distances as when I was wacking it before.

Other than a few bad distance reads yesterday these clubs proved to be spot on with my current distances, and now that I know I can hit a 4i again I have to figure out a way to work it into my repetoire. The 4i helped me reach the green in 2 on two long par 5's on two occassions yesterday. I only used my 4h once yesterday out of a bad lie.

I have the XP's and really enjoy the ball flight. The XP's are phenomenal in the shorter irons 7-PW. Even on a 3/4 swing PW shot yesterday the ball gets up in hurry and crashes onto the green, stopping a few feet from the divot.

Mardin:

Are those DGXPs the stock shaft or do these irons come with DG s300 like the MB and MCs do? One last question, is the entire head forged on this club or just part of it? I am looking for a new set of irons to replace my Scratch combo set. I want some irons with a bit more forgiveness built in without having to go the Burner 2.0 route. I currently play DG s300 thats why I ask about the shafts.

Mardin:

Are those DGXPs the stock shaft or do these irons come with DG s300 like the MB and MCs do? One last question, is the entire head forged on this club or just part of it? I am looking for a new set of irons to replace my Scratch combo set. I want some irons with a bit more forgiveness built in without having to go the Burner 2.0 route. I currently play DG s300 thats why I ask about the shafts.

The XP's are stock and the face is forged, not the entire head. I'm sure you could order them with the DG S300's if you wanted.

I got to take these out for my Saturday afternoon round. On a well struck shot these felt pretty good. On a bad shot they definitely hurt. These guys have really covered all basis in this thread though haha.

I really wish I had more info but my iron striking was not there. But that was probably a good thing. Definite reality check and a good reason for me to stick to what works rather than get something harder to hit. Really you have to be pretty much on when hitting these from my short experience.

Thanks TC. Do you think there would be any problem bending these heads 2 or 3 degrees flat?

Thanks TC. Do you think there would be any problem bending these heads 2 or 3 degrees flat?

I would order them that way to be honest. You'd be safer that way.

I didnt play with these the first day in Florida and man I wish I had, my iron striking that day was poop. I missed my CB's. I did game them the rest of the time at the outing and man they performed as well as I could ask. There may have been a round that I was playing badly though

Honestly dude, you hit some beautiful shots. I liked watching what these could do with a good swing. The sound these produce when you're watching someone hit is sweet.

I didnt play with these the first day in Florida and man I wish I had, my iron striking that day was poop. I missed my CB's. I did game them the rest of the time at the outing and man they performed as well as I could ask. There may have been a round that I was playing badly though

Honestly dude, you hit some beautiful shots. I liked watching what these could do with a good swing. The sound these produce when you're watching someone hit is sweet.

thanks buddy! I have a lot of work to do on my game before August

I didnt play with these the first day in Florida and man I wish I had, my iron striking that day was poop.

Just curious... if you were hittin the ball like poop why do you wish you were playing the CBs? Were you playing something less forgiving or just to see how you'd survive a bad swng day with them?

+1 on TC's comment. Just go and figure out your specs and order them that way. If you have trouble with ball flight like I did I would get the XPs.

i Hit the range with these yesterday and I cannot stress enough how much a solid tempo works with these clubs. A nice and easy tempo will make the ball fly long and strong. If you have an erratic or incosistent tempo these clubs may not be for you. I had a tough uphill lie that threw my swing out of wack on Monday I topped the ball and it ended up going probably 20+ yards shorter than normal. At the range I noticed that I can work the ball with my 8-9-PW. I can work the ball??? Holy Hell! The great thing about these clubs is you know when you've hit a bad shot and you know when you've hit a solid shot. My favorite iron club in the set so far is a toss up between the 8i and suprisingly the 4i.

Just curious... if you were hittin the ball like poop why do you wish you were playing the CBs? Were you playing something less forgiving or just to see how you'd survive a bad swng day with them?

I know my CB's, if I was hitting them I would have had no excuse. But this way, I can blame something other than the indian.

I know my CB's, if I was hitting them I would have had no excuse. But this way, I can blame something other than the indian.

What were you playing with?

What were you playing with?

Nike Pro Cavities. they are forgiving, and when hit on the screws felt nice. But the swing weight was different. I did hit some good shots with them, but I also hit some shots with them that I tend to not do with the CB's

They sounds like they were lighter than the CB's. A few grams of weight difference can be like night and day for some peoples swings. I know with my solid tempo a different weighted club would throw my swing off for easily a few holes.

They sounds like they were lighter than the CB's. A few grams of weight difference can be like night and day for some peoples swings. I know with my solid tempo a different weighted club would throw my swing off for easily a few holes.

They could have been, I dont remember the shafts that were in them.

They could have been, I dont remember the shafts that were in them.

I thought they had S300's in them, which would make them heavier than your CB's.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I think the Pro Cavities have the Dynalite shafts.

I think Marcawesome may be right here. Not sure though.

Back