TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

If you're swinging 105-108 w/ a driver, I'd say you're around 86-88 mph w/ a 6 iron.

That was my guess as well. WHich means he would have been fine to game the stock 2.0 shafts

When you go to Golfsmith see what it is with a 6 iron

Will do. Hopefully they don't have a problem moving the machine around for a lefty :)

That was my guess as well. WHich means he would have been fine to game the stock 2.0 shafts

Yeah, I have a driver swing speed avg of 111 mph, and a 6 iron avg of 91 mph and I have ZERO issues with the stock, stiff shaft in the 2.0's. In fact, you're probably well aware of that.

Yeah, I have a driver swing speed avg of 111 mph, and a 6 iron avg of 91 mph and I have ZERO issues with the stock, stiff shaft in the 2.0's. In fact, you're probably well aware of that.

I spoke with 2 separate club pros and they both said that 85g's just isnt enough for that club speed. If your not having any problems then thats fantastic but thats just their opinion.

Are you playing the RAZR X's or the 2.0's? And have you tried the CB's (sorry if there is a post about it)

And obviously your doing well hahaha your handicap tells the tale

Last edited:
I spoke with 2 separate club pros and they both said that 85g's just isnt enough for that club speed. If your not having any problems then thats fantastic but thats just their opinion.

Are you playing the RAZR X's or the 2.0's? And have you tried the CB's (sorry if there is a post about it)

I'm playing the 2.0's, but have Razr X Tours coming. Read over this thread and let me know what you think about the data concerning a plethora of iron shafts and how the 2.0 iron shaft held up:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?18418-TC-s-Day-of-Club-Fitting

I am also a lefty and I haven't even seen any CB's in Left Hand yet, so I haven't hit them.

I spoke with 2 separate club pros and they both said that 85g's just isnt enough for that club speed.

Really? That is kind of shocking that they would say that. In our testing 85g can hold up to that with very little issues. It will depend on swing of course and more factors other than just club head speed. I wonder what those same pros would say about the Miyzaki 39 shaft.

I'm playing the 2.0's, but have Razr X Tours coming. Read over this thread and let me know what you think about the data concerning a plethora of iron shafts and how the 2.0 iron shaft held up:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?18418-TC-s-Day-of-Club-Fitting

I am also a lefty and I haven't even seen any CB's in Left Hand yet, so I haven't hit them.

Impressive, I couldn't imagine carrying a ball 200+ with 6 iron but thats just me. The 2.0 shafts are specifically built for each club though correct? What made you switch from the 2.0's? Hopefully I'm not making a bad decision getting these CB's but I don't think I am.

Really? That is kind of shocking that they would say that. In our testing 85g can hold up to that with very little issues. It will depend on swing of course and more factors other than just club head speed. I wonder what those same pros would say about the Miyzaki 39 shaft.

Yeah these pros said it along with the guy at Golfsmith. Maybe it is just my swing but it is the reason why I am no longer getting the 2.0's

Yeah these pros said it along with the guy at Golfsmith. Maybe it is just my swing but it is the reason why I am no longer getting the 2.0's

Perhaps a swing. I cannot believe a fitter would ever say something like that in a general thought. Well I guess I could but they would be incorrect.

Impressive, I couldn't imagine carrying a ball 200+ with 6 iron but thats just me. The 2.0 shafts are specifically built for each club though correct? What made you switch from the 2.0's? Hopefully I'm not making a bad decision getting these CB's but I don't think I am.

Well, I don't carry a 6 iron 200+ yards on a golf course, where there is wind, warm air/cool air, but I don't have a problem pulling it out of the bag for a 185-190+ yard shot. Yes, the 2.0 shafts a specifically built for each club. For example, when I had the 3 and 4 iron in the bag, they didn't launch near as high as the 5 and 6 irons.

I am switching to the Razr X Tours for The Morgan Cup. I have a 14 club deal with Callaway Golf and those will be the irons I'll be using for the competition.

As far as your decision to go with the CB's, I really can't answer that as I haven't hit them, but from everything I've read here, the 2.0's are far superior in the area of forgiveness. I like forgiveness.

Put in another quick range session today and I still can't get over how much I love the 4 iron in this set. It's long and strong! It's slightly shorter than my 4h but it's more accurate. I also worked with the 8-PW and these are very accurate clubs. The PW has easily saved me a few shots in my last two rounds.

Put in another quick range session today and I still can't get over how much I love the 4 iron in this set. It's long and strong! It's slightly shorter than my 4h but it's more accurate. I also worked with the 8-PW and these are very accurate clubs. The PW has easily saved me a few shots in my last two rounds.

I hit that at the demo day and thought it hit great too. When I demoed some clubs on the Champion course I hit a beautiful four iron in to a 190 green. I was all over the flag with it. To bad the greens were hard as rocks and it rolled off the back.

I hit that at the demo day and thought it hit great too. When I demoed some clubs on the Champion course I hit a beautiful four iron in to a 190 green. I was all over the flag with it. To bad the greens were hard as rocks and it rolled off the back.

My four iron is about 185-190 and I put a good shot on a ball on Sunday. The ball crashed onto the green and a false front made it just rolled off the front of the green. After chipping onto the green I found my divot mark and it was a crater hole. I'm finding most of my approach shots are sticking on the gree like never before. The higher trajectory of the DGXPs are making the ball get airborne quickly and falling to the greens like a rocket. A few of my iron shots on the green are not skipping or rolling on the green.

Have I said I really really like these irons? I think I have!

Here is some of my verdicts

Forgiving- enough for me
Flight- Mid to high, balls drop from the sky
Feel- Awesome, cotton ball when pured.
Distance- I am more than happy.Consistent when my swing is. I am hitting these as long as my old R9's (great clubs).

Gripes- Stock grips needed to be changed out.
Paint fades quickly in the numbers.
Might need to switch to a lower shaft at the mid season point. I just need golf stuff to buy.

Rating after todays round 9/10.

Had a poor ball striking day with the CB's. I just could not find my stroke. A big portion of it is me pulling my head off the ball. The only clubs that proved successful today were my 9 and PW. I read an article in Golf Digest about golfers with "thrower" swings and I think this type of swing would be perfect for this club. I'm going to the range this week to see if I can incorporate some aspects of that "thrower" style swing into my current swing. I have a round on Thursday and will report back afterwards.

Had an inconsistent day with these today. My swing was off and my main miss (out on the toe) was in full effect on the front 9 and these clubs let me know it. Not much distance or forgiveness to speak of when you don't catch these correctly. On the back 9 I made a conscious effort to stand a little closer to the ball and as my ball striking improved so did the shots from the CB's. When you swing with an easy tempo and really focus on ball first contact these irons really reward you with predictable ball flight and accuracy. The minute you try to go after a ball or lose your focus these irons don't let you off the hook and will keep you there until you make some adjustments

How are everyone's CBs holding up in terms of durability? Finish, dents, dings, rust, that's out of the ordinary?

How are everyone's CBs holding up in terms of durability? Finish, dents, dings, rust, that's out of the ordinary?

I've only had mine for a few weeks and three rounds but they look good as new. I use iron covers so that helps. I have noticed a lot of grass and dirt gets stuck in the cavity sometimes but no biggie.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I have played them since launch on the range or on course. My AW looks like it's been used, paint is rubbing away on the bottom. 4i has the same. My 9-AW are the only clubs with some scratchs to the face. I am playing em again in the am if the rain docent close courses

I havent had a set of clubs rust...ever. I clean mine after every round though. They hold up just fine

Had a poor day today. I was fighting with these all morning. I did have some nice shots though. That kept me happy. It was wet and soggy and sometimes these dig pretty good. Still happy after 3 months. These have contributed to the best round I have played. When struck pure, these are long. If I could only get a consistent swing, hehe

I think its funny that several of you jsut posted about not having a good ball striking day cause I didn't either yesterday lol. My tempo was off and I wound up hitting a lot of shots lower on the club face than I would like. The irons did a good job of letting me know without being overly punishing in the feel dapartment. The good news is that my shots didn't suffer all that badly. The trajectory was lower and I lost a few yards of carry which for the most part was ok though I did land in 2 bunkers fronting the greens. I will be hitting the range today to work on the tempo and hopefully get myself back into the groove I ahd going with these irons. I msut say the despite the off day I am still loving these irons and am very satisfied that I bought them.

Greetings...

My MCs should be here next week. Can't wait to get out to the range and bang a few buckets to get them dialed in!

I think its funny that several of you jsut posted about not having a good ball striking day cause I didn't either yesterday lol. My tempo was off and I wound up hitting a lot of shots lower on the club face than I would like. The irons did a good job of letting me know without being overly punishing in the feel dapartment. The good news is that my shots didn't suffer all that badly. The trajectory was lower and I lost a few yards of carry which for the most part was ok though I did land in 2 bunkers fronting the greens. I will be hitting the range today to work on the tempo and hopefully get myself back into the groove I ahd going with these irons. I msut say the despite the off day I am still loving these irons and am very satisfied that I bought them.

The CB's must have talked to each other and decided not to work yesterday. I am also still loving these clubs, I'm heading to the range sometime this week to put in a good session before I play a few rounds on thursday and Sunday.

After dealing with a number of neck and back issues recently, where I could not hit much of anything, I actually put my CBs away and played my GI irons the last few weeks. After some PT, I'm feeling better and took the CBs to the range today. Using a tip I learned on another thread today, I concentrated on a shoulder turn during takeaway, and not so much on the arms. The combo of my back feeling better and the takeaway has helped. I hit some nice shots and was happy with the results. I'd say a full 60% of my shots were something I was fairly proud of, and much better than the 20% mark I'd been hitting with these irons the past few weeks. Length is an issue right now, but I'm not hitting ANYTHING as long as I'd like. I hit my 4 hybrid to a 195 yard pin from the tee on a Par 3 last week- beautiful arcing fade heading right to the pin. And the shot fell 25 yards short of the green. I just don't have any power right now due to my back being out of whack. But the CB irons, I'm enjoying. You have to hit them "right", but they do reward you.

Back