TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

I am still pondering these irons. I just love the looks and feel they have.

Tapatalkin

Do it man! I know you will be very pleased!

I know, I just don't want to fork out the money right now. Haha. I might just go after it soon.

Has anybody compared the TM MC 3/4 iron with the Nike VR Pro Combo 3/4 iron? Thoughts?

My TM are still in the bag, my Nike vr are mostly in plastic. Only by a hair though

I went the MBs because when I did my fitting I hit them the best, I was going to go the whole set Mb but decided at the last minute to get the split set. I have not actually had the pleasure to see any other irons apart from the six. Still have another three weeks to wait for them to actually get here, would like them to hurry up!

Aesthetics and workability (oooh, that word), at least for me. I like the look of the smaller head for my short irons.

You my friend can get what ever you like! At a +1 I am pretty sure you could beat everyone on this forum!:D

Collected my full set of MC's this morning! Been waiting 9 weeks for them to be built, so pretty hyped to finally receive them at last!:banana:

The spec was:- 1" longer; std lie and lofts; DG S300 SL soft stepped once; New decade grips, 2 layers of tape. Got a couple of ZTP wedges in same spec, too, 52 and 58 degs.

Hit a few balls straight away at the range and was so-so. Felt like i was hitting the mat with the toe first - ball strike was pretty central but flight wasn't very good, lack of power/distance. So spoke to the assistant pro at the club i bought them from and he said not to worry, try them on the course during the week and see how they feel/perform, if you're still not happy they would adjust them for me.

So, fair enough, took them out on the course for 18 this afternoon to check them out a bit more. Well, what can i say but amazing! Hit some fantastic shots, particularly with longer irons - knocked a 4 iron to around 10ft from 220yards; nearly outdrove playing partner using my 4 iron, him using a 3 wood!; short par four played 5 iron to lay up short of ditch, nearly reached the ditch about 250 yards from tee(although a little downhill and downwind)! Im never usually long with my irons at all (although quite long with driver) but these babies just fly when caught pure.
A little bit of a downer with the short irons - found i was pushing them 5-10 yards right, which i think is due to the toe clipping the ground first, so still think i will need to nip the lie up 1/2-1 degree, maybe only in the short irons (7-LW).

The weight of the clubs feel very nice and much lighter than my last clubs (which swing weighted at about D8-9!), maybe that's why i'm getting a better strike with the long irons as they are easier to control.

Last edited:
Has anybody compared the TM MC 3/4 iron with the Nike VR Pro Combo 3/4 iron? Thoughts?

I have briefly looked at them both. I will get back to you on their differences as soon as I can get a free moment.

My Taylormade TP MC Revew (Vs. my old cally x-22's)

My Taylormade TP MC Revew (Vs. my old cally x-22's)

Ok so yesterday was X-mas for me!!! Got a call around 1pm from my local Golf Galaxy that my new sticks were IN!!! :clapp:

198757_10150254422424051_569809050_7662576_2892527_n.jpg

REFUSE!?!?!? You guys NUTS?!?!?! :banghead:

Backstory:

I got fitted for these clubs a week ago from today. I hit a whole MESS of clubs, with different shaft combos. Honestly, the kid that was helping me EARNED his money that day :good:. I hit the CB, MC, and MB heads; for me, the CB's felt a little too much like my old x-22's (not that its a bad thing, but i want to improve as a ball striker, not have the club do the work for me on mishits). Then i went to the totally opposite end of the spectrum and hit the MB. HOLY CRAP DO THEY DEMAND YOUR ATTENTION ON A SHOT! You really gotta have a dialed in swing to get the most out of these clubs. On mishits, they were straighter than my old Cally's, but the distance loss was miserable!

Being that i work with my hands for a living (Electrical Contractor), i expect a certain feel from my tools (BTW sorry Klein, Knipex kicks your butt in the hand tools category hands down!). I summarized that i should expect the same from my new clubs. So with that, i had the kid at GG mock up a MC 6i head with the PX 6.0 shaft.

Going from a stock Callaway Uniflex to a PX 6.0 was night and day (not in a good way either). These things felt like swinging solid iron poles with club heads attached for me. To get them to load right i suspect that you really HAVE to pound the ball into the ground.

Next, I decided to hit the same head with a Nippon 950 GH in stiff. WHAT A GREAT FEELING SHAFT!!! It felt similar to my Uniflex shaft and loaded wonderfully. I hit a few with the KBS tours and was impressed as well! But i went back to the Nippons. They didnt have a trackman at the GG in Paramus so the kid read me the numbers out loud after every shot. The nippons felt like the ball was coming off a sling shot!! So i ordered them with the Nippons in standard L/L/L and went home waiting for the week to hurry up and pass (A lot of Driver and putter practice this week! :act-up:)

That night i did some reading on the nippons vs. the kbs tours and thought about it a good long while. So that sunday i went to another GG (The paramus one is closed due to Bergen County Blue Laws). I had the same head with the nippons made up for me and got to hit shots for an hour on a trackman. This is when i discovered a problem (for me). Every shot was ballooning WAYYY high, and marginal misses on the clubface sent the ball WAAAYYYYY right!!!!

So i had the salesman change the shaft to the KBS Tour in Stiff and proceeded to hit this set up for an hour. After about the 5th shot, i knew THIS was the proper shaft. I could see the ball flight was more penetrating and misses had a MUCH tighter dispersion for me. All though the KBS's load differently than the nippons they feel soooooo nice. Come monday i went ahead and changed my order (got a 60 dollar credit as the KBS's are a FREE upgrade with TM vs. the nippons!!!) Moral of the story: Sometimes having the salesman walk away is the BEST thing that can happen to you!!!!

I decided i needed a shaft that plays truer to flex, because as i'm improving my SS is going up (smooth transition) and i wanted something i can grow into as opposed to something im going to grow out of.

284090_10150254424894051_569809050_7662598_7207271_n.jpg

205964_10150254448539051_569809050_7662950_3980300_n.jpg

281421_10150254449059051_569809050_7662959_5150285_n.jpg

262398_10150254449999051_569809050_7662974_4724684_n.jpg

So, after all the excitment of unwrapping i took them to the range!!!

I hit my two new Vokey's and immediately fell in love.....such nice clubs!!! Ditched the 2H in my bag for a 52.

Next i grabbed the 9i, and on my very first shot, PURED the hell out of it!!!! 120-130-140-150.......155!!!! WTF?!?!?! This cant be right!!!!! I dont swing that hard, and these are supposed to be "dead" range balls. I chalked it up to a fluke and took another shot.......160!!!!! My old x-22 8i was only 150-155ish!!!! I know A LOT of THP'ers explain what it feels like when you hit this, or any other forged iron in the middle of the face, but honestly i can only say its like hitting a ball made of butter with a hot club wrapped in velvet......such a positive sounding click and feel when the KBS loads.....ugggghhhhhhh. So proper!

On a good day with a good swing my callaway x-22 9i went 140-145 MAX!!! 10-20 yds longer per club with a tighter dispersion? YES PLEASE!!!!

I proceeded to go thru the entire set PW-4i and found the same deal......every club (on center, or near center) hits was quite a bit longer for me!! Now i gotta go back and re-learn alllllll my yardages, woe is me i guess :angry::D

Now, for the mis-hits, ITS UGLY!!!! The hands dont sting as bad as the MB's but man the yardages fall away like fat kids at boot camp. The one thing i like on mishits is that even tho the ball goes 100 yds less its still relatively striaght! The old SGI X-22's just amplify the errors and keep that ball SAILING. The distance is appreciable, but damn!!!! Im playing $44/box balls!!!! Can we keep SOME?

As you can see in the pictures, the profile of the club is very "blade-ish". To me this is a good thing, it makes me mindful of my posture, pre shot routine, and it absolutely DEMANDS focus and proper mechanics. Not that the callaway's didnt do the same, but having a smaller club head in front of you subconsciously tell you to be mindful of what you are doing.

ive only been playing for 2 years and this is my first set of forged "blade-like" irons, and i dont think im going back to GI,SGI, or UGI irons ever again.

If i could do it all over again, i would drop the grand in a heart beat!!!!

-D-

Glad you are liking these! The MCs have been the best iron I have ever played. I am not seeing your distance gains, but we have very different shafts. The love fest is just going to continue as you get more comfortable with them. Congrats!!!

I've gotten quite a few rounds in with these irons since I received them. To give a quick recap for those who haven't read the whole thread. I was playing MP32's from Mizuno and was looking for something with a bit more forgiveness that still maintained the look and feel of a blade iron. I am in a bit of a slump right now and battling my swing out on the course perfect test to see if the added forgiveness would help me, and unfortunately I must report these irons aren't doing anything to help bail me out. I think these irons can help with subtle miss-hits but I mean subtle. My swing unfortunately doesn't produce subtle miss-hits, I either hit it great or like crap. When it's great I can just hit my old irons and enjoy everything that comes with playing a blade iron. When it is producing crap it still produces crap.

Don't get me wrong though if you need/want new irons these sticks are fantastic. They just didn't help me the way I hoped they would.

If I could go back in time I'd have just re-gripped my old irons and spend the money on something else. (Putters most likely)

The morale of the story for me at least is: it's the wizard not the wand.

I hope others continue to enjoy theirs.

Great unboxing pictures das! It is of the utmost importance that you take a picture of the "Do not refuse!!!" sticker. I am glad you are liking these as they are by far my favorite irons.

I have been having a unique problem. When the ball is sitting up in this Bermuda rough, I have a tendency to miss slightly high on the club face. This has been interesting to me as I lose a bit of distance on those type hits. It has made me really concentrate on how I hit the ball in that situation. These still go straight on that miss, but I would be nervous about trying to reach a green protected by water.

The more I play these, the more I am convinced that these would not do any justice for someone who was not at least decent at ball striking. They are more forgiving than they look, but they are not as forgiving as a GI iron.

Sent from my iPhone, so please ignore my horrid spelling mistakes.

I have been having some major issues lately. Before I moved, I was playing 5-6 days a week, but now I am playing about 3 days a week and I am not taking lessons anymore. When my swing is not clicking, these irons are a disaster for me. If you look back, I lauded these irons for being surprisingly forgiving, which is true if your ball striking is already good, but if you have a little trouble one day, these irons can spell disaster. I am not the best ball striker, but I was consistant and I even bagged the 3 iron for a while and was pretty decent at hitting it, but now I have become inconsistant and on bad days, these are hurting my game. I attribute this to my move and inability to practice as much as I would like. The good news is that I pounded it out in the grass last evening and I was hitting my 4 iron very well.

I have been having some major issues lately. Before I moved, I was playing 5-6 days a week, but now I am playing about 3 days a week and I am not taking lessons anymore. When my swing is not clicking, these irons are a disaster for me. If you look back, I lauded these irons for being surprisingly forgiving, which is true if your ball striking is already good, but if you have a little trouble one day, these irons can spell disaster. I am not the best ball striker, but I was consistant and I even bagged the 3 iron for a while and was pretty decent at hitting it, but now I have become inconsistant and on bad days, these are hurting my game. I attribute this to my move and inability to practice as much as I would like. The good news is that I pounded it out in the grass last evening and I was hitting my 4 iron very well.

Sorry to hear that. I saw that too, but I haven't hit these in a while due to The Morgan Cup. I never really could hit the 3 and 4 iron and would struggle with the 5. However, even with the Callaway irons that are in the bag for TMC, I still struggle with a 5 iron. I think these irons helped me concentrate a little more on my ball striking, because you had to be a little more precise to get great results.

I think my CB/MC combo will be finding a new home soon... These are just too punishing for me. I want to make golf easier, not harder. RAZRX Tours, Cleveland CG16 Tour, Srixon ZStars, R11, Burner 2.0s, or the reg. Cleveland CG16s will be in my bag in the future I think.

These things kick my @$$ when I don't hit them right on the money.

Sorry to hear that. I saw that too, but I haven't hit these in a while due to The Morgan Cup. I never really could hit the 3 and 4 iron and would struggle with the 5. However, even with the Callaway irons that are in the bag for TMC, I still struggle with a 5 iron. I think these irons helped me concentrate a little more on my ball striking, because you had to be a little more precise to get great results.

What is weird is that I didn't struggle at all with them for many months. I hit them well most days, but the bad days are very bad. Nothing feels better when I am hitting it well.

What is weird is that I didn't struggle at all with them for many months. I hit them well most days, but the bad days are very bad. Nothing feels better when I am hitting it well.

I couldn't agree with you more on this

I am playing a 5 CB and 6-PW MC and love this combo! I am so glad thought that I decided to get the 5 and4 iron in the CB, but even still I ended up dropping the 4 iron. I just hit a hybrid more consistently. I love my MCs though! Sorry to hear that things arent going smoothly for you lately.

I agree that when u are struggling these do not offer the most forgiving shot. Although I believe that for the four bad shots, the one good one blows me away. I use a 4 and five and can count on my distance being consistent. Oh the feel of a good shot is preventing me from looking at other clubs. It took a bit to get so comfortable with these. Once I settled in I love playing em.

I am playing a 5 CB and 6-PW MC and love this combo! I am so glad thought that I decided to get the 5 and4 iron in the CB, but even still I ended up dropping the 4 iron. I just hit a hybrid more consistently. I love my MCs though! Sorry to hear that things arent going smoothly for you lately.

Well, I straightened it out at the range last night. I was crushing my 4 iron after a tweak to my posture. It is amazing how such a little thing can affect ball striking. My move really affected me I think and not having lessons every other week also allowed me to get sloppy. I am trying to own my swing, but that is not easy to do.

Edit: I agree with the consistent distance thing. I have never owned a set of clubs that were as consistent distance wise on shots. Shots missed high tend to go short and I have had one flyer out of the rough with a 7 iron that flew to 190 yards. Luckily I was laying up to a distance on a par 5. I used my range finder and it told me that I hit it exactly 200 yards, but I am guessing that 10 yards of that was rollout.

Just want to say I really enjoyed reading through all 100 pages of this thread.

I own a se of MC's and just wrapped up a GREAT range session at lunch. Standard Loft/Lie with DG S300. The range I went to faces the coast (i'm pretty much on the coast) so there's a constant head wind. My 7 iron "smooth" swing carried about 150ish but ballooned up due to the high wind.. Put the ball position further back and "hooded" it resulting in a really nice mid trajectory shot of equal distance.

Coming from the R9's this club feels a lot "truer" if that makes sense. The R9 was ridiculous springy and the ball usually lauched of the face. The MC's felt more "consistent" for me if that makes sense.

Additionally, I think the biggest improvement for me was the weight. These sticks feel like the PERFECT weight for me. I've always felt my previous irons were all too light weight feeling. I'm a pretty "husky" guy and I think the added weight provides me more feedback and control and helps me with tempo.

In either case, I know I made the right choice leaving my fairly new R9's and transitioning to these clubs.

I share the same thoughts^^^. I also played r9 and felt that these in the low irons felt right. Swing weight is awesome, I feel confident putting a hit on the ball.

What I have been noticing lately after break in, is the sound. After learning what good shots sound like it has helped to adjust to what I do wrong in the swing. Feel off the hosel is obvious but learning sound has been important to gaming these too.

These are about a club shorter then my r9 and a tad shorter then my old cb's. I can deal deal with that cause the accuracy is awesome when I am hitting good. This is happening in my 4&5 pretty often. I am not having many problems and these are go to clubs 210 ish to 180. They stop and drop on greens and in the long stuff. This is good as mid hits hurt but not that much.

Shafts are kbs tour stiff and they give me a nice ball flight. Next year maybe some c-series. Sold on kbs big time

HI I am new to THP but i've read about half of this thread. Everyones thoughts and views have been great. I recently was at golf smith looking and the TM TP MC and the Mizuno MP63. I was comparing just the demo clubs they had on the floor so only one type of shaft. I hit both of them well but i just found that the TM TP MC's just had a better weight and had a much better flow with my swing. There was just something in the MP63's that just didn't work with me, but when you properly hit the ball they do feel great. The consistency with the TM's was just amazing and i ended up putting a little black circle on the center of the TM's face just because the balls in their indoor driving range are so dirty.

Any way i plan to buy these irons and i plan to love them they are amazing.

Glad to see the love still coming in for the MC's! I have been struggling mightily with ball striking lately, but I had some beauties on the course yesterday! Nothing is better IMHO when you are striking the ball nicely. I have never been able to imagine a distance and then make the club go that distance almost every time! I knocked a few stiff this weekend.

Back