TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

I have finally got my split MC MB set and I love it. Only played with them once on the course though and I was hitting my driver well so used my p wedge most which is one of my old clubs. All the shots felt good but only had about 15 hits with them so far. Looking forward to the weekend so I can play again!

I will be adding to this thread later today :). Thanks TM!

---
- Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

I have finally got my split MC MB set and I love it. Only played with them once on the course though and I was hitting my driver well so used my p wedge most which is one of my old clubs. All the shots felt good but only had about 15 hits with them so far. Looking forward to the weekend so I can play again!

Nice man! The MB's are so sexy as are the MC's, but there is just something about a muscle back iron.

I will be adding to this thread later today :). Thanks TM!

Now I <3 your length and your irons.

I finally got my irons feeling just right (6 weeks after I got them). MCs with Nippon 8950 stiff shafts cut -1/2 inch. Took the clubs to TM and had them adjust the swing weight back to a D2. Feels great! I love them!

I will be playing these this weekend. My cousin is coming up for my bach party, and isn't bringing his clubs. I told him he could borrow a set, I'm thinking the Razr X would be perfect for him. I'm looking forward to seeing how I hit them because it has been a couple of months as I prepared for The Morgan Cup.

I figure since the Morgan Cup is over and I've had these for a while that I'd chime in.
I like these irons, notice I said like and not love. I still need time to adjust to these before I say I love them. I think my biggest change is going to a 2* upright iron, this takes time to get used to. I went with different shafts (KBS tour vs DG s300) so again that needs time.

I hit these well during play at the MC, but I didn't find I had any real gain or loss in distance with the MC's vs my old Nike CCis. A pw is still 135-140 and the 9 iron is still 150 or so. That really was my plan with the irons I was going to use at the Morgan Cup, I didn't want something completely different.

Looks - these irons are pretty, but I am not a huge fan of the chrome(ish) as I find it does reflect the light more than my previous irons. This can be distracting, but it really is the only bad thing I can say about them from a looks perspective. The thin top line and the thin sole are exactly what I look for and am used to, so for me these are wonderful to look at and suit my eye.
Feel - I know this is totally subjective but I'll comment on it anyway. These feel great, when you hit it pure you know it, and when you don't you also know it, but it isn't painful like my old irons were. On mishits I am only losing about 5-10 y, and they stat mostly online.

Performance - these are great performers. From the Fw they are solid and go where you want. They have a nice sharp leading edge so that it can cut through the rough (I am there a lot) and when teed up, these are pure money. I am hitting these higher that my previous set, so wind really hinders my game, but I think that is the shaft more than anything. I am also getting more spin with the shorter irons than I was. This is likely new grooves vs 6 yr old and worn grooves though. I have noticed that I can not go after it with these. Again likely the shaft, but I have adjusted to this, I just club up and smooth it out there.

Overall - I believe these irons are highly under rated. TM has a great product here and I am not sure why they aren't selling as well as they should be. With the new r11 irons out, I am not sure that many will be drawn to these like I was.

I'll be back with more later on.

Belbs out.

Tap, tap, tap. Just tap it in Happy

Good stuff Belbs.

I remember when I first got these I thought the forgiveness was there and that I would lose only 5-10 yards, but as time went on I realized it just wasn't. You and I play a different game, but for me these irons worked out best when I took an extra club and made an easy swing rather than trying to go after it(which sounds similar to what you are saying too). The leading edge is sharp so the turf interaction is great, however it can lead to some ugly fat shots. Still they are solid performers that I would recommend hitting if you are in the market for something in demo.

great review Belbs! I have had some major issues with these when I moved, but now I have my swing grooving again and I absolutely have the distances dialed in. I think these are great for people who have a consistent swing like Belbs or Dean. IMO, nothing is better if you can hit the center or close to it every time, but they can cost if you have trouble striking the ball well with the irons.

Hi folks,

I agree with many of the statements said here. When struck poorly, these let you know via feel and ball flight and distance. I play these in my low irons, and have noticed that there is a slight distance loss comapring these to distance irons (i.e. R9 and 11). However, I point and shoot with these and have the confidence that and leakage is only going to be minimal. I get a great launch and ball flight out of the KBS I have. They stick on greens yet give me some roll out on the fairway. Turf interaction if good, yet, I can dig in with these with minimal effort. I took a nice chunck out of tee box the other day with my 4 on a bad swing/hit. It was a great laugh as the divot was perfect (later replaced, loath when people dont do that). As far as ball striking goes, these demand the best out of me. If it is an off day, I tend to stop keeping score and play for fun. However, when I am on, I cannot find a better substitute for accuracy and control. I know exactly how far these are going to go for my swing. Thin shots (what I hit most frequently for poor swings) provide an ok ball flight, the distance loss is salvagable and most times I am still in play. Having been very frustrated with these at some points, I could not find a replacement that would satisfy me more (I have hit many irons over the past year). I have found these to be very soft off the face and balls do come off hot. I think they look great and sound superb.

I agree that when you aren't exactly on it can lead to fat shots. I'll take this most of the time as I tend to have a fairly consistent swing. Also I don't care at all how far I hit what iron, it is all about hitting it where I want it. If my 7 iron was only 150 I'd adjust as long as it was straight.

My ball flight is kinda high for my liking,so I tend to take one extra club, like ddec, and take a little off. This seems to help. This is my first set with KBS shafts, as my previous sets have had DG S300s. They aren't totally different but it is noticeable.

If you want a great set of forged irons, with a bit of forgiveness (not a lot) check these bad boys out.

I agree that when you aren't exactly on it can lead to fat shots. I'll take this most of the time as I tend to have a fairly consistent swing. Also I don't care at all how far I hit what iron, it is all about hitting it where I want it. If my 7 iron was only 150 I'd adjust as long as it was straight.

My ball flight is kinda high for my liking,so I tend to take one extra club, like ddec, and take a little off. This seems to help. This is my first set with KBS shafts, as my previous sets have had DG S300s. They aren't totally different but it is noticeable.

If you want a great set of forged irons, with a bit of forgiveness (not a lot) check these bad boys out.

Nice initial thoughts Belbs.

Surprised how high you are hitting them... I agree that its probably the shafts. Have you considered dropping the DG x-100s in those bad boys? That's what I use and I love the ball flight. I'm getting.

Nice initial thoughts Belbs.

Surprised how high you are hitting them... I agree that its probably the shafts. Have you considered dropping the DG x-100s in those bad boys? That's what I use and I love the ball flight. I'm getting.

Those shafts were number 2 on the list. I decided against them because I didnt want to have to swing as hard as possible every time.

If I remember I hit your setup at the outing and I was still hitting moon balls. So I guess it doesn't matter what I hit. ;). It is the Indian, not the arrow.

I think I'll stick with the KBS for now and see how it goes. I'll compare head to head next outing. Lol. Plus I only have about a month left in my golf season. :(

Those shafts were number 2 on the list. I decided against them because I didnt want to have to swing as hard as possible every time.

If I remember I hit your setup at the outing and I was still hitting moon balls. So I guess it doesn't matter what I hit. ;). It is the Indian, not the arrow.

I think I'll stick with the KBS for now and see how it goes. I'll compare head to head next outing. Lol. Plus I only have about a month left in my golf season. :(

That's right, you did hit mine outrageously high on the bear trap if I remember correctly. 1 month left, that stinks. You should move state side my friend.

Naileditgolf.com has these on sale for 399 right now, they are new but stamped ARP. Thinking of finally pulling the trigger on these, you just cant beat that deal.

I was really happy to see you guys post here about your thoughts on the MCs since the Morgan Cup. I am still in love with these irons. I have said before that I am definitely about a half a club shorter with these BUT the distance control is really good, so I am fine with the loss of 5 yards. I feel like I really have my yardages down and when I just swing smoothly these go exactly where I want them to. I am still very happy to have the CB in my 5 iron as it just adds a little extra forgiveness. If I was to change anything about these irons it might be to put some KBS shafts in them and see if that might get me back a few yards, but 5 yards is not worth the price of new shafts.

Naileditgolf.com has these on sale for 399 right now, they are new but stamped ARP. Thinking of finally pulling the trigger on these, you just cant beat that deal.

What does ARP stand for?

What does ARP stand for?

pretty sure its a returned product to taylormade so they stamp them, could be a custom order that go sent back because it was wrong or something like that. not 100% sure on this but i think thats what it is. They also dont carry the stock warranty

Yes I looked in to this when I first found the website. ARP could be that it was an order that was returned, or it was an overstock item somewhere that got sent back. Other than that it is brand new. Naileditgolf specifies if there were any adjustments to the loft/lie. Most of their products are standard loft/lie. Naileditgolf also backs their products with a full warranty since the manufacturer does not warranty their ARP products.

The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on this set from nailed it golf is that it is 4-PW, and I currently play 3-PW and carry at 3 hybrid that goes about 10 yards further than my 3 iron. So if I go 4-PW and experience the yardage loss that Dr. Teeth has experienced then I will have a huge gap between my 4i and hybrid. I know I could always just get a 4 hybrid or something in the future but I wouldn't have the funds for that for a while.

Thanks for clarifying guys.

I had a mixed weekend with my MC's. Saturday I was not dialed in, it was one of those rounds. Sunday was a whole different story. I was dialed in, percise, and driving range long(er). I normally hit really well off the range and get some incredible distance (for me). Yesterday could have been the turning point for some reason (my swing just felt awesome). I was just ripping these straight and long. On par 4's I would not even pull woods out because I had so much fun playing the MC. Another reason I left the woods in was that these felt so darn good and the ball flight was awesome. I was enjoying the ride. The 17th was where I really ended my R11 club lust. I was beginning to question my distance with my irons and fell into the mindset that these were too "good" for me to play. I put that to rest and could not be happier. My 5i was helping me get some awesome 200ish follow ups. My 4i was bombing, according to sg5 I was hitting in the 215-200 area and dead straight.

Although I would like to ramble about the good, there are some observations from the 'bad' round. If my swing is out a tad, these frustrate me. It is a chunk or thin. The thin shots I can live with because they go. The turf interaction with these clubs is really good IMO. You need to hit well enough to not chunk them or you will be adding to your scores. Off the heel, these are not so bad, the toe kills my shot because it sprays out. When you lose confidence, these irons may help add to your frustration (I have learned to forget shots with these).

Back to the positive's

Feel of these when when struck well is sensational. Sometimes it is hard to tell that you hit the ball because they are soft. Distance is consistent, with my swing that day. So if I am only hitting my 4i 190, that is what I will hit that club all day. I now know I can rip these and may have been hesistant to give er throughout the year. Now I will get after it, next year. Key here is that at this point, these will be staying with me.

Hey Boys!

Its been a while since I visited this thread, mostly because the number of rounds that I have put on my MCs have been minimal at best (and abysmal at worst). However, Sunday I played in a yearly golf outing with some family friends and put these back into play- with almost a full months layoff from anything resembling golf. for me, this was a worst case scenario because I am not a great ball striker by any means... and rusty Gus is even worse.

Here is what I found-

1. These irons still draw "wow's" from people who have never heard them make contact with a ball. First hole requires an iron off the tee and it was a beautiful sound (and ball flight!).
2. The forgiveness with these is definitely lacking. I remember picking up my old clubs from dry spells and not having near the guessing game of ball flight and distance that I did sunday. I actually ended up being consistently long on most of my approaches, with a few weak fades (toe shots) thrown in.
3. My stamina is simply not there right now. By 16 I was making really poor/tired swings at the ball. I had played really well up until that point and I just let the round get away from me. The lack of forgiveness didn't help this.

However:
They passed the test. I managed to get my way through 18 holes, finished third in the net scoring, and broke my course record by 3 strokes. My driver and my hybrids were the culprits of most of my struggles Sunday- and very little can I blame on my irons. I went into the round expect sore hands and a crappy score and I came out impressed again by these irons. I am not sure how much I will get to golf in the foreseeable future, but now I know I can keep these in the bag and not hate the first round back with them. That is a big plus for me!

So I just sold the Burner 2.0's I was playing. I just could not stand to play them anymore. The big head and how they just sent the ball into orbit was a turn off for me. So now im strongly considering getting these. Its between these R11's and jumping the fence and hitting mizuno's mp-53. At my course we dont have taylormade demo's which sucks. But if anyone can give me insight and how these compare to the 53's if anyones hit both. Thanks

So I just sold the Burner 2.0's I was playing. I just could not stand to play them anymore. The big head and how they just sent the ball into orbit was a turn off for me. So now im strongly considering getting these. Its between these R11's and jumping the fence and hitting mizuno's mp-53. At my course we dont have taylormade demo's which sucks. But if anyone can give me insight and how these compare to the 53's if anyones hit both. Thanks

I have hit both the MC and the MP-53s. While the MCs aren't the most forgiving irons out the, they are far more forgiving and easy to hit than the MP-53s. One nice thing to take into consideration is if you go with the MCs remember that you can customize the set with the other TP models. This is something that I have taken advantage of and I couldn't be happier. I play the CBs in the longer irons, which add just a bit more forgiveness where you need it. If I was choosing between the MCs and the MPs I would (and DID) chose the MCs any day of the week. Hope that helps!

Thanks Dr. Glad to know their a little bit more forgiving than some of the other clubs of their type out there. I also been hitting the ap2 and that seemed like it had a little bit more meat on it to help you out. I guess im gonna pull the trigger and get the mc's.

Back