EXPERIENCE The 2020 Grandaddy of em All with Callaway Golf

Okay Grandaddy hopefuls, here’s a little snippet that maybe gives you some insight on the fittings.

For the 2018 GD fitting I had my F swing. I was fitted into the Epic Flash SZ (big surprise, I’m not a high SS guy) set to +1 to reduce spin and N.

At my lesson today I hit maybe 3 shots with D. My instructor says “you are virtually maxed out on what you can get out of a club with your swing speed. The only way you are going to get more distance is to find more swing speed.” My numbers on an outdoor Trackman:

SS: 94.8
Spin Loft (?): 11.6
Launch Angle: 14.8
Ball Speed: 140.9
Smash Factor: 1.49
Spin Rate: 2476
Height: 90
Carry: 233 (TM Optimal = 235)
Total Distance: 256 (TM Optimal = 261)

The fittings can go fast. You can feel like you aren’t sure about certain things. But the fitters are literally experts - trust them.

Last edited:
It is amazing and just blows peoples minds. Played league at a different course the other night and a couple guys and one commented on my bag and noticed it was all Callaway. So told the story, didn't believe me. Showed him some pictures, had one with @JasonFinleyCG and @jeffneubarth @JMB3 all together, he recognized Jason Finely somehow. Then it was full on story time. Told him about THP and all.
Not sure that is a good thing!

Okay Grandaddy hopefuls, here’s a little snippet that maybe gives you some insight on the fittings.

For the 2018 GD fitting I had my F swing. I was fitted into the Epic Flash SZ (big surprise, I’m not a high SS guy) set to +1 to reduce spin and N.

At my lesson today I hit maybe 3 shots with D. My instructor says “you are virtually maxed out on what you can get out of a club with your swing speed. The only way you are going to get more distance is to find more swing speed.” My numbers on an outdoor Trackman:

The fittings can go fast. You can feel like you aren’t sure about certain things. But the fitters are literally experts - trust them.
This is so true! I've had some of the best golf since being fitted! Trust the fitters. Also, don't be afraid to tell them what works for you, like you prefer heavier shafts, etc. They will take what you say with true seriousness and apply what they know and are seeing and combine the two. This isn't aimed at you Frank. Just saying for the group.

I can not wait to get a driver fitting with these guys!

I can not wait to get a driver fitting with these guys!
I’m in serious need of a driver fitting. The one I got on the internet without ever swinging before is a little inconsistent. Can’t wait to see what these guys can do to help me!

I’m in serious need of a driver fitting. The one I got on the internet without ever swinging before is a little inconsistent. Can’t wait to see what these guys can do to help me!
I wouldn’t be surprised if you picked up 20 yards from your current driver. Maybe even more. They will also help you bring the dispersion in a lot too.

Let's bump this thread back up. Realized I never posted a picture of the amazing Grandaddy memorabilia from @radiman 's giveaway since I hung it up. Great piece here in my home office I get to enjoy, and something that gets me daydreaming about this experience!

20200629_150854.jpg
20200629_150914.jpg

Played the Grandaddy Chromesoft on a few par 3's today. Here's the first shot with it, which led to a par.
View attachment 8947579
what was the fate of the GD ball? gone forever or safely survived the round?!

Do I see a green surrounded by water behind that hole?!💦💦

what was the fate of the GD ball? gone forever or safely survived the round?!

Do I see a green surrounded by water behind that hole?!💦💦
I only used it on 2 par 3's :ROFLMAO:. I was nervous about any hazards, and how safely I'd be able to navigate them, so I chose 2 safe par 3's. Maybe one day I'll get a little crazy and hit driver with it :unsure:, maybe not....

I got to play with my brother and 2 of his neighbors yesterday. I hadn't seen the 2 neighbors since Labor Day of last year. That was right before I went to the THP Championship in CDA. They asked me about the trip and I got to tell about that awesome experience and I was winding down telling them about that and that is when my brother chimed in and mentioned the trip I won for the Grandaddy. They were floored. By the end of it they asked if Phil would be there? I said I highly doubt it but I may get fit by the guy that fits him every year.

I got to play with my brother and 2 of his neighbors yesterday. I hadn't seen the 2 neighbors since Labor Day of last year. That was right before I went to the THP Championship in CDA. They asked me about the trip and I got to tell about that awesome experience and I was winding down telling them about that and that is when my brother chimed in and mentioned the trip I won for the Grandaddy. They were floored. By the end of it they asked if Phil would be there? I said I highly doubt it but I may get fit by the guy that fits him every year.
You never know. If Tom Watson can get involved, why not Phil?

Nearing the 500ish day mark until the 2020(1) Grandaddy! I’ve been working on my team celebrations, but my practice has been hindered by social distancing and the fact that my buddies and I don’t often hit shots that merit celebration.

Not to worry, I expect my fist pumps, chest bumps, and secret handshakes to round into form by the time I need them.

Nearing the 500ish day mark until the 2020(1) Grandaddy! I’ve been working on my team celebrations, but my practice has been hindered by social distancing and the fact that my buddies and I don’t often hit shots that merit celebration.

Not to worry, I expect my fist pumps, chest bumps, and secret handshakes to round into form by the time I need them.

Cant wait to see what 500 days of preparation will give us!

Cant wait to see what 500 days of preparation will give us!
I hope you’re not expecting Bryson-like gainz! I don’t think I have it in me even with 500 days of prep!

Celebrations must 100% become the most practiced part of the game.

Celebrations must 100% become the most practiced part of the game.
The club twirl is absolutely the weakest part of my game. I’ll definitely need to lean on teammates for a group celebration.
1594835110007.gif

The club twirl is absolutely the weakest part of my game. I’ll definitely need to lean on teammates for a group celebration.

This is the video that changed my life, and what I practice on the range more than any other instruction I have ever seen on YouTube.
Gotta go with the right hand flick, FYI.

I hope you’re not expecting Bryson-like gainz! I don’t think I have it in me even with 500 days of prep!
I meant celebration only, the real golf isnt nearly as important...is it? :unsure:

Back