that new trophy design alone makes its not the 5th major. its awful. like an emmy award for golf. or 3rd place in the pinewood derby

that new trophy design alone makes its not the 5th major. its awful. like an emmy award for golf. or 3rd place in the pinewood derby

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the new trophy.

Even if it wanted to be a major, would Augusta ever let it happen? I think there's no doubt the influence that Augusta National and The Masters has on the game and the history of the game. Currently, Augusta National is the only major venue that is played each and every years. The other three majors all rotate of just scatter to different areas.

It is possible that Augusta wouldn't want to share that with TPC Sawgrass?

Ask the players if they would rather win the PGA Championship or the Players. You may be surprised.
I'd be extremely surprised if The Players would win out on the vote.

Not a major. When you have to announce who committed to the event, that’s not something a major championship would ever have to do.

Not a major. When you have to announce who committed to the event, that’s not something a major championship would ever have to do.

when you think about not playing in the event becuase you aren't sure if the course is for you, then yes, not a major

when you think about not playing in the event becuase you aren't sure if the course is for you, then yes, not a major

Didn’t Lee Trevino say that about Augusta?

Didn’t Lee Trevino say that about Augusta?

Trevino had issues with Augusta's Chairman, that's why he skipped it a few times.

"My problem wasn't with Augusta," Trevino said. "My problem wasn't with the golf course. I made it that simply because I didn't want to tell the truth. My problem was I couldn't get along with Cliff Roberts.

"Cliff Roberts and I locked horns the first time I was there. I took a disliking to the man and he took a disliking to me. I stayed away from there because I didn't want to have anything to do with him."

Trevino had issues with Augusta's Chairman, that's why he skipped it a few times.

I didn’t actually know that. I remember hearing him say in one of those big-4 round table discussion things on golf channel a few years ago that he thought it was a bad venue because low ball hitters couldn’t win there, or something along those lines.

Say what you will, but we know where Toulon lands in the issue. God I love this cover.

4cbe91e53bece621e552404ac7deb95b.jpg
521f192d93f9275cf0e6032defdd1b89.jpg

Say what you will, but we know where Toulon lands in the issue. God I love this cover.

4cbe91e53bece621e552404ac7deb95b.jpg
521f192d93f9275cf0e6032defdd1b89.jpg

It’s definitely very abstract.

I didn’t actually know that. I remember hearing him say in one of those big-4 round table discussion things on golf channel a few years ago that he thought it was a bad venue because low ball hitters couldn’t win there, or something along those lines.
He really didnt like the culture at Augusta and the chairman. He had a few comments on the whole if I wasn't a pro golfer they would never talk to me.

He also didn't like the course to much either since it strongly favors a draw, the ability to hit the ball high, and stop a ball quickly from way out. All of those not being Lee Trevinos game.

I think he stopped going first because of the course then because they hated each other. He then I think went back after a few years but yeah there was some ugly history to it.

Q School.

Or Sawgrass.

Quite simply No. It just doesn't have the history of the other 4 Majors. The others began so long ago when golf was in its infancy.

British - 1860
US Open - 1895
PGA - 1916
Masters - 1934

Players? Didn't start until 1974

The Western Open started in 18 something & doesn’t exist anymore that I know of. Just saying if age matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other thing I’ve been thinking about. I like that Augusta is the lone major that repeats the course. I don’t think sawgrass is anywhere near the same level of prestige.

I'd be extremely surprised if The Players would win out on the vote.
Tour players do consider the Players to be equal to the four majors. It terms of quality of tournament and importance, it sure is the 5th Major.

Other than the media calling it a "Major", what makes the PGA Championship one of the four top tournaments in the world? Why is the PGA Championship still a major? It was the premier event of the Tour players at one time, but it hasn't been that in over 50 years. The Players Championship is the premier event of the PGA Tour so it certainly should have the same regard or more as the PGA Championship.

One other thing I’ve been thinking about. I like that Augusta is the lone major that repeats the course. I don’t think sawgrass is anywhere near the same level of prestige.
No tournament anywhere has the same level of prestige as the Masters. It is by far the most popular and most-watched tournament in the world.

The Western Open started in 18 something & doesn’t exist anymore that I know of. Just saying if age matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Players has as much history now as the PGA Championship did when it ceased being the top tournament of the tour players.

Not for me. I'm actually leaning the other way, where I feel like there are 3 real majors (Masters, US Open, British Open). After that, a handful of really strong second tier events like the PGA Championship, Players, and WGC events.
I can go along with this. The PGA Championship is clearly the 4th least of the four currently called "majors."

For the sake of comparing players form past eras (majors won being a critical metric) I say no it is not a major and should not be unless it was switched out with another major. That said I don't think it should take away from the prestige of the tournament.

I say no. There is no need for another major. It is prestigious enough that it stands very well on its own.

As global as the game is getting, If (big if) there was to be another major, it needs to be outside the US.

I say no. There is no need for another major. It is prestigious enough that it stands very well on its own.

As global as the game is getting, If (big if) there was to be another major, it needs to be outside the US.
Why? The US is still by far the largest golf market in the world.

This conversation has to be linked to the PGA Championship. Should the Players be a 5th Major is one question, but more on point is should it take the place of the PGA Championship as a major?

Nope, I am a four major guy.

Golf is a game of history, and tradition. No reason to change that history, and tradition by prostituting it with a 5th major.

What do you say to those multiple Major winners who only had 4 a year to play? If they make it a 5th major do the past winners of this tournament get retroactive number of majors won added to their resume? Nicklaus would have 3 more majors, and Woods would have 2 more iirc

It's the Players Championship. It's for the players. Leave it at that. Let it stand on it's own competitive value.

No if we are going to have a 5th major, lets add all the WGC events into the mix also. I mean "World Golf Championship" sounds like a major, right? Lets have 9, or 10 majors every year.

Last edited:
When thinking of whether to make The Players' the 5th major, the phrase "Change for the sake of change" comes to mind. There's absolutely no good reason to do it, yet certain people wanna see it done.
The reason is that the Players Championship is the premier championship event of the tour players. The real question is why is the PGA Championship still a major, as it used to be the championship event of the tour players, but hasn't been for over 50 years.

Back