The Car Shopping Thread

E85 provides better resistance to detonation and has cooling effects that make it provide more power over E10. For this reason you see big gains in forced induction application but even with the stock tune a N/A engine will see 2-3%hp gain with a stock 87 octane tune. However, it will lose more than that in MPG and really it's going to be hard to really "feel" the difference. It's a lot easier to see it on the Dyno or the strip vice on the street.
But if you don't do anything to take advantage of the detonation resistance how will it help? I remember time and time again people thinking running race gas with a stock setup would improve HP, only for dyno to prove it doesn't.

I have looked for a stock dyno comparison with no luck.

But if you don't do anything to take advantage of the detonation resistance how will it help? I remember time and time again people thinking running race gas with a stock setup would improve HP, only for dyno to prove it doesn't.

I have looked for a stock dyno comparison with no luck.

That is thanks to the SFS (Software FlexFuel Sensor) or equivalent. This sensor recognizes the type of gasoline in the fuel system and make appropriate changes to the Fuel and Spark tables.

That is thanks to the SFS (Software FlexFuel Sensor) or equivalent. This sensor recognizes the type of gasoline in the fuel system and make appropriate changes to the Fuel and Spark tables.
Very cool, had no idea about that. That makes alot if sense.

I was wrong.

Like rjb01camaross said, modern ECU's are very sophisticated and will "tune" for it, but you would see much bigger gains with tuning where you can advance timing. Engines with forced induction, can run a lot more of it with E85 and not have to worry about knock. Personally I'd look for gas stations that have non-oxy fuel. You get a little more power and a little more fuel efficiency granted its not as cheap as E85 but any car can run it.

No doubt you can achieve more HP in a NA car, but would you see anything in a stock tune? If the car is tuned for 87-93 I don't think you could gain anything by switching to e85, but I've been wrong before.
Its always been my experience that you lose performance with e85 because it doesnt yield as much energy as gasoline does.

Bow ties and SS Emble removed for painting. Will be re-installed on Monday. Updated pics then.

2013 BMW X1

Thoughts? I have a few deals available to me locally that have these at around 3,000 under retail. Excellent condition, single owner, clean car fax, etc. low miles (30k or less).

Bumpers. Anyone with any firsthand X1 knowledge?

Things are moving quickly so covering all "research" bases.

I used TrueCar to get an idea, but once I had an idea of what I wanted, I went through the internet sales guys at the dealerships around me and got them to give me their best out the door price. Then went to the one that was lowest to buy (last time we took the best number to the dealership near us and they matched it).

I can tell you that the price I paid with no haggling (just comparison shopping) was about $800 less than the TrueCar price, and allowed me to go in with nothing to negotiate other than my trade in amount.

I used Consumer Reports which uses TrueCar. Loved it. I hate haggling, I just want to know what they would sell the car to me for. I used CR just because I wanted input from their reports to go along with Edmunds and online video reviews. Once I decided on what I wanted I just put in a "Request for Quote" to get three quotes from nearby dealers (I had checked who those would be before doing a test drive). I ended up buying the car from the place I did the test drive just because of their reputation and the fact that the salesman actually told me to go out and test drive all different makes of the type of vehicle I was looking for when I mentioned the ones I was considering. Not once did he talk down any other car or dealer on my list. He just said there are a bunch of new vehicle dealerships within a one mile area and go out and drive all on your list and maybe add a few more.

Well, I picked up my '15 Honda Accord LX on Saturday. Great car. Im very happy.

Attachments

• 11390002_10204718415903698_7725913447226056612_n.jpg
    11390002_10204718415903698_7725913447226056612_n.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 0
The Car Shopping Thread

Well, I picked up my '15 Honda Accord LX on Saturday. Great car. Im very happy.

Bought my wife a '15 Accord Sport back in January. We have about 7k on it and it's been awesome. Love us some Honda! Now debating a second one or perhaps a Pilot.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434344407.358433.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434344407.358433.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
My wife and i brought our self's a new car last weekend. 2006 Mazda Axela facelift. Its from an old lady in Japan so we know it hasnt been thrashed, the dealer said it even came with some crocheted car seat covers haha. Its a nice white 2.0L with only 86,000km's on the clock and also comes equipped with a proximity key.

Okay, so the X1 is out of the question - just too dang small.

Heading to look this evening at the X3 & 328i. Any thoughts on these 2? Reviews online seem overwhelmingly positive. Curious about cost for maintenance and any unexpected repairs that may arise. Any other thoughts on these models is most appreciated as well!

Heading to look this evening at the X3 & 328i. Any thoughts on these 2? Reviews online seem overwhelmingly positive. Curious about cost for maintenance and any unexpected repairs that may arise. Any other thoughts on these models is most appreciated as well!

Fun fact, the X1 has less room than the new standard 3 series.

I used to work for BMW and have driven every single model they have. The new 3 series is awesome. The new 328 is actually about the size as the previous model 5 series, and has a lot of kick. I believe the 328 is a turbo I4 now, but it feels much quicker than the old models. It's a great car IMO and now actually has pretty decent gas mileage too. I like the X3 and all, but if I was going SUV id want the X5.

If you are going new, you have all oil changes and everything covered for the first 3 years, but after that maintenance and upkeep is kind of pricey I won't lie.

I've been battling the idea of leasing for a while now. Haven't been putting a ton of miles on the car over the last couple years and wonder if it's a better route, as I often enjoy changing vehicles after they are out of their bumper to bumper.

Pros and cons, anyone? Seems like for those who don't drive the tires off their cars, it's a great thing to do.

I adore my 328i. Very comfortable, extremely fun to drive, great gas mileage. I get 27-28 on a usual tank, with very little of that being highway, on roadtrips I have gotten 33+ cruising at 80-85. The motor is never lacking for power, torque everywhere. The 8 speed is far and away the best automatic I have driven. The biggest downside is trunk space, it fits golf clubs, but you either have to take woods out or put them in at an angle. I've had 3 bags in there but its not easy, its just narrow compared to some other vehicles. I'm still under 50K miles so I can't speak to costs, but outside of a seatbelt recall nothing has been done to the vehicle beyond basic maintenance through 30K miles.

I adore my 328i. Very comfortable, extremely fun to drive, great gas mileage. I get 27-28 on a usual tank, with very little of that being highway, on roadtrips I have gotten 33+ cruising at 80-85. The motor is never lacking for power, torque everywhere. The 8 speed is far and away the best automatic I have driven. The biggest downside is trunk space, it fits golf clubs, but you either have to take woods out or put them in at an angle. I've had 3 bags in there but its not easy, its just narrow compared to some other vehicles. I'm still under 50K miles so I can't speak to costs, but outside of a seatbelt recall nothing has been done to the vehicle beyond basic maintenance through 30K miles.

If you want trunk space...7 series FTW haha. The 7 series is such an incredible vehicle

I've been battling the idea of leasing for a while now. Haven't been putting a ton of miles on the car over the last couple years and wonder if it's a better route, as I often enjoy changing vehicles after they are out of their bumper to bumper.

Pros and cons, anyone? Seems like for those who don't drive the tires off their cars, it's a great thing to do.
I leased my Infiniti . First time leasing but I have a work vehicle so I put next to no miles on my personal vehicle. The payment is much much less the out the door cost was next to nothing. That said you have the milage to worry about and really need to make sure you calculate what you need correctly.

I ran the math on owning vs leasing including the equity I would get off a trade and it started paying to own a bit into year 4 any sooner than that and leasing was the better option. I think that really depends on the vehicle you lease and the deal they run vs buying it. Infiniti runs so aggressive lease offers. I also negotiated a good bit off their published price on my car.

Like you the main reason I went lease was no miles driven and I want something new every 2-3 years. It fit my lifestyle and needs but it is certainly not for everyone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you like to trade in every 3 years or so then leasing will typically be your better deal.

I am going to be leasing my next vehicle. I just set up my business as a Corporation and I can write off 100% of the lease payment, but not a purchase. No brainer in that respect! Now the question is how much do I feel like paying as a monthly expense and what should I get?

A lease fits my wants very well, new car every 3 years, lower payments, etc. The problem is the mileage requirements. I'm a traveler and put an average of 24k miles on a vehicle per year.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

A lease fits my wants very well, new car every 3 years, lower payments, etc. The problem is the mileage requirements. I'm a traveler and put an average of 24k miles on a vehicle per year.

You can technically lease at any milage it just gets less cost effective to do so. Which is really the biggest pro to a lease.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If you are going to get a BMW, talk to JRod as he has extensive knowledge of repairs.

I am going to be leasing my next vehicle. I just set up my business as a Corporation and I can write off 100% of the lease payment, but not a purchase. No brainer in that respect! Now the question is how much do I feel like paying as a monthly expense and what should I get?

Leasing a Ford Fusion is stupid cheap right now, especially if you do a low mileage lease...meaning 10,500 miles per year or less....even the most high end Titanium Fusion would probably be at or less than $350 a month for 36 months. Call me if you have questions.

The higher mileage would make your payments a little higher, but it could still be done. For Ford's, we do a max of 19,500 miles per year. After that (depending on the vehicle/cost) you would basically pre-pay for the number of extra miles you want. Those ARE refundable if you don't use it though. So, if you bought up to 25,000 miles per year, but at the end of the 3 years you only end up using, let say 70,000 (instead of 75,000) then you'd get a small refund. So that's good!

Back