The Food Truck Thread

Playdough

Hi.
Reaction score
Handicap
This is something that is dear to my heart as this is a dream of mine. The dream is to own a Food Truck. Theres just something I find special about them. The Food Truck scene has blown up in Indy in the last 3 years. I wish I was in a better postion to get in on it 3 years ago. We have a pretty large selection of Trucks here in town, everything from comfort food to Indian to Perogis. One of my favorite trucks (and friend of ours) in town is called Scratch Truck. He makes modern comfort food and drinks. He has his core menu, but then every week offers some special items. He was recently voted one of the Top 50 new and influential Food Trucks in the country.

Whats everyones thoughts on food trucks? I know they are much bigger in some areas than others. I also know they draw the ire of brick and morter places because they are mobile and can pick up and move around. I personally don't see the issue as they are constantally evolving their menus and pushing out new and exciting ideas that brick and morters wont try or do. Do you eat at them? Ever tried one? Or do you still assoicate the "roach coach" term to food trucks?

I really enjoyed that Food Truck reality TV contest show!

I really think it's great to have around. It really opens opportunities for those who have a means and the will to get into the food industry. Definitely not the same as opening or running a restaurant but I think that's the beauty of it. It creates more opportunities for those who may not be traditionally trained but more home grown.

The only food trucks I have seen around here are nasty.

Down south we found some amazing ones though going through GA and Alabama on the bike.

Fort Wayne is becoming a pretty big player in the good truck market. There are quite a few around town and all of them are pretty dang good. I really haven't eaten many times at them since I am not out of the house much, but the little experience I have had with them, I really like what they have to offer.

We have a huge food truck community in Orlando. I catch the rally once a month in the milk district. Some have been featured on the cooking channel and have some amazing food.

im like you Keygan, I want to have my own food truck as well. I've been researching a small food cart for local festivals and get my food out there.

There are some amazing food trucks in Atlanta. From Korean BBQ, to Cajun/Creole, to just plain awesome burgers, there's a lot of variety and a lot of really excellent food.

I love food trucks! Every year Houston has a big event called "Haute Wheels Houston" where dozens of the local trucks all meet in the same area. It is a blast and the abundance of different types of food is awesome!

Columbia, MO has one that runs around town that I've been wanting to try. People rave about it. Ozark Biscuit Co. or something like that.

Calgary's food truck culture exploded a few years ago with a large onslaught of trucks after the initial pilot project. They're mostly all trying to be haut-couture and that means the food is really not what you'd expect/want in a food truck. I don't really want to leave a food truck with almost a $20 tab for lunch and they're not quick. While I appreciate healthy ingredients and fresh cooked quality, some of them are really out of line.
When I was in Montreal this past summer, their trucks had apparently only been around for a year and their trucks eclipsed Calgary's. They had everything from a nice cheap $4 burger or classic poutine to a lobster roll to foie gras poutine.

This is a huge deal in the Twin Cities, I have yet to have the opportunity to eat from them so far though. They only do the downtowns for lunch and I am not close enough or have the time to get down there. Many people rave about them and I know a couple have turned their large following into restaurants.

One of my dreams as well is to own a food truck. I love cooking at home, but not enough to do it for a living in a restaurant, for among other reasons, having to cook the restaurants menu. The thought of having my own menu, cooking my own things, and really only needing to work at it for the most part Friday and Saturday nights, is a HUGE dream. Sadly I'm not in a good place, or have the start-up capitol, to start my own food truck. Plus Elkhart, IN isn't exactly the prime place to start one, which would require a move.

There are some amazing food trucks in Atlanta. From Korean BBQ, to Cajun/Creole, to just plain awesome burgers, there's a lot of variety and a lot of really excellent food.

I second this comment for the Atlanta area as there is a food truck park off of a major exit of I-75 that serves lunch and dinner with a variety of trucks that will come at either offering. There is also a food truck night in Smyrna on either Wednesdays or Thursdays at a park in the community. I am not sure of the schedule during the winter months but i have attended both places on a few occasions and have enjoyed them. They have been well attended when I have been there and the food offerings have been vast and tasty. I like the idea of food trucks.

I am lucky we have amazing food trucks here

DFW has quite a few. Best I had was Gandolfo's, a smaller food truck. I had a turkey, cranberry sauce and stuffing on a kaiser roll, thing must have been 6 inches tall and delicious!

Some really good food trucks here. My favorite is the Bahn Mi truck.

I love them. We have a couple even here in Lincoln. But I love to visit them in the larger cities I travel to.

I try and scope out the food truck scene anytime I go somewhere I haven't been. There's a show on Cooking Channel called Eat St. The host is a goof, but it visits some of the country's best food trucks. Good show to check out.

Never have had the pleasure

I go to a taco stand that's kinda like a food truck at work. It's a mom and pop kinda place authentic Mexican it's so good.

Man! Food trucks rule! (for the most part)except there was a seafood truck in San Diego back when I was in the navy that was no bueño!

Columbia, MO has one that runs around town that I've been wanting to try. People rave about it. Ozark Biscuit Co. or something like that.

I haven't had that one Jeff, but the one that runs around Moberly isn't bad his catfish is pretty good. I like food trucks I went to New York a couple years ago and I had some really good food out of their trucks.

I haven't had that one Jeff, but the one that runs around Moberly isn't bad his catfish is pretty good. I like food trucks I went to New York a couple years ago and I had some really good food out of their trucks.

Yeah. Catfish Heaven or something. It's usually sitting up at the auditorium downtown.

Dan, my buddy that owns the Scratch Truck here in Indy makes an amazing Poutine Fries. So, so, so good.

Back