The Jordan Spieth Thread

Very few people would of been able to do that interview with the integrity that kid has.... He is younger than me, and I look up to him the way he handles himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kudos to his parents they raised a solid young man

That was a tough interview to do, but to now put the jacket on the winner, is even harder.

To me Jordan is a gentleman , is humble when winning and makes no excuses and would be the first to offer congratulations to the winner .. even in losing he is still a champion and will have many chances to win more majors

I feel like this could wreck anyone else, but he class and character that he has shown, I think he will come back even stronger, maybe not this year but I think over his career he will be better for it.

That was the classiest choke of all time, and I mean that completely sincerely and complimentary. It was a choke, but he handled himself in an amazing way given the circumstances.

That was the classiest choke of all time, and I mean that completely sincerely and complimentary. It was a choke, but he handled himself in an amazing way given the circumstances.

I think how DJ handled last years US Open choke was handled with class too. Hard to give that guy the benefit of the doubt but he said all the right things and talked bigger picture

Just watched the press conference and if I want already a fan, I'm hooked now. He understands he let this one get away and he tried to hit shots (fade) he hasn't been comfortable with all week. Kudos for him to owning his mistakes that cost him a major, but also answering all the questions with class and not giving canned answers.

I would be proud to have him for a son considering the way he has managed this situation!

I have seen so many athletes across the different sports say all of the right things in defeat, but the thing about Jordan that really resonates with me is this, I feel like he really means it. I think he would be just as classy and gracious even without the spotlight. His way of handling this loss has only made me think more highly of him. I hope he is able to rebound strongly from this.

I'd like to disagree a bit. In watching the green jacket presentation, I thought Jordan exhibited poor sportsmanship....I dont think he even shook Willet's hand.....he seemed very nervous today starting with the back 9 and seemed a bit off at the jacket presentation..perhaps the pressure has caught up to him. I agree that he is usually very gracious, but something was off in the jacket presentation. Will be interesting to see if he fades now a bit....I think his play was bound to catch up with him especially in a major. he always seems to hit some bad shots in final rounds, but seems to somehow get away with them....when water is involved thats a different story as evidenced today. his putting has overcome his deficiencies..until now. his miss seems to be that push block and that is a sign of nerves i think..

I'd like to disagree a bit. In watching the green jacket presentation, I thought Jordan exhibited poor sportsmanship....I dont think he even shook Willet's hand.....he seemed very nervous today starting with the back 9 and seemed a bit off at the jacket presentation..perhaps the pressure has caught up to him. I agree that he is usually very gracious, but something was off in the jacket presentation. Will be interesting to see if he fades now a bit....I think his play was bound to catch up with him especially in a major. he always seems to hit some bad shots in final rounds, but seems to somehow get away with them....when water is involved thats a different story as evidenced today. his putting has overcome his deficiencies..until now. his miss seems to be that push block and that is a sign of nerves i think..

Poor sportsmanship? The man lost the tournament from one disastrous hole, the ceremony was immediately after the tournament concluded and he was the one to put the jacket on Willet. All things considered I thought he handled the ceremony just fine. Handled the interview quite well in my opinion too as he seemed to be genuine and honest in all his answers.

Poor sportsmanship? The man lost the tournament from one disastrous hole, the ceremony was immediately after the tournament concluded and he was the one to put the jacket on Willet. All things considered I thought he handled the ceremony just fine. Handled the interview quite well in my opinion too as he seemed to be genuine and honest in all his answers.

Fair enough he had just lost his mastets title but i have always been taught that to be a good winner you need to be able to lose in good grace so to not shake Danny's had wasnt great, however, he's still young is all a learning process no matter how many titles you win. Wasnt a fan of Jordan at first but to see his interaction with the fans on his way to the first hole changed that. Many of the players just ignored them so good on you Jordan.

I have to add that, as a Yorkshireman, im so pleased Danny won as he deserved it, played really well and kept calm. Now he can go back to Sheffield and start changing those dirty nappies! :laughing:

+1.

That was gut wrenching just watching him put those balls in the drink.
I can't imagine the emotions going through his head during that time.

The kid's not even "wet behind the ears" yet, how many golfers could handle the situation as nicely as he did? After the round you could see the emotions behind his face - how disappointed he must have been, but he answered questions, and conducted himself with class. He's a "keeper," and should be around for a long while.

I think how DJ handled last years US Open choke was handled with class too. Hard to give that guy the benefit of the doubt but he said all the right things and talked bigger picture

He did. So did Rory when this happened a few years ago.

He did. So did Rory when this happened a few years ago.
And add in DJ handling of the penalty added after the 18th hole at Whistling Straits in 2009(?)

He came out of the locker room to talk to CBS, when I'm sure he could easily have slipped out without going on air about it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Its tough for TGC and TV trying to promote a ratings player (like Tiger), and this happens. I feel there should be no ratings players, but the top 10-20 that they spread equel tv coverage on. They pumped JS all week, over other players that were playing well.

Of course they did. The kid is one of the youngest stars on tour, a multiple major winner and was about to go wire to wire in back to back Masters, which had never been done before.

Its tough for TGC and TV trying to promote a ratings player (like Tiger), and this happens. I feel there should be no ratings players, but the top 10-20 that they spread equel tv coverage on. They pumped JS all week, over other players that were playing well.

Easier said than done. The top players get pretty well known, but the guys that are steadily middle of the pack aren't as well known because they don't get much airtime, because they're not well known....because they don't get much air time... and round and round we go. The broadcast companies are in a tough spot, if they don't show the favorites they get blasted, and if they don't show anybody but the favorites they get blasted. I think Callaway and some of the other companies are starting to get the idea that they (the sponsors) need to make stars out of the players in their stables and I think that might help. As more of these players get to be well known they'll get more air time I think and hope.

As for this tournament....JSloth played better than most anyone else. He only had the lead for most of 3 1/2 days. Then when he'd lost it, he was the only one on course that was close to catching Danny Willet. I would think that showing him was where the ratings were win or lose.

I have to admit, I have not been a huge Jordan fan. Mostly due to his whining on the course and his slow play. Instead of watching history be made, I found myself wanting him to falter just enough to make it a bit more interesting. However what happened I would not wish on anyone and afterwards I found myself actually rooting for him to make the comeback for a playoff. I cannot imagine a more difficult loss than that, not only losing the way he did, but to have to put the green jacket on someone else its just devastating. That would have been hard for anyone to handle let alone a 22 yr old. He handled it with class and dignity and for that I applaud him.

The kid has a ton of class off the course. I'm not nuts over his slow play it seems worse than it was before (maybe it is the increased air time) that said he more than makes up for it in my mind being the way he is off the course.

Honestly it was a heart breaking loss but I am surprised it took that long for the wheels to come off. He looked like he was fighting it all week never seemed to have the control he normally does.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Exactly, he was straight off the course without even time to freshen up.
The way it looked there was quite strict protocol to follow during the ceremony and as a 22 year old he handled it very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back