The Jordan Spieth Thread

How are you 2 holes behind and not face some kind of penalty.

It was a major and he was in contention or was the leader. They have rarely penalized guys in normal tournaments and they sure wouldn't decide a major by doing it.

A great point about Jordan's current game by Hank Haney this morning on his radio show: Spieth is currently 166th in GIR (greens in regulation)!!! The fact that he still had a chance having doubled SIX holes (if u count the quad as two) and with around 5 or 6 three-putts during the week, is crazy! But, 166th in GIR means he's scrambling a LOT and his putting is saving him. Iron game isn't where it needs to be for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And all that scrambling weighs on your nerves, especially with all the hype of Augusta and all the media.

It was a major and he was in contention or was the leader. They have rarely penalized guys in normal tournaments and they sure wouldn't decide a major by doing it.
He (and others) won't speed up until penalties are assessed.

He (and others) won't speed up until penalties are assessed.

I totally agree! Why have the rule if it's not going to be enforced?

Here is a stat to chew on - Spieth had 22 birdies in the Masters this year. Justin Rose had 19, but no one else within 6 of the winner had more than 17. Danny Willett totaled 13 birdies for the week.
yeah, and and last night on Live From The Masters, one of the guys mentioned the fact that he had 7 birdies yesterday. if you had told everyone before the round, that Jordan would have 7 birdies, you'd have thought the result wouldn't have even been close.

It's funny, I spoke to my mom this morning and she said Jordan was a sore loser. Said his butler cabin display was poor. Tripping over chair and lack of smile was disappointing to her. I found myself defending him but now I think he should have manned up a bit more. I think this hole experience will make him a better golfer and person. He knows what he did right and what he needs to work on. His light will continue to shine brighter and brighter.

I am not a huge Spieth fan, but boy, that kid can play some seriously good golf. Even when he doesn't have his A game he is there or there abouts in most comps.

Folks are banding the old 'choked' word around. I don't think he choked at all. Simply played a couple of poor shots at the wrong time and then he was playing catchup. Once Danny knew what the situation was he seemed to alter focus a bit more from trying to play for second to making sure he stayed ahead of the pack. Good on him for that. Was a great win, and no one can take it away from him and he will be a major force for future English golf.

I know that Speith made those mistakes that cost him, but what I noticed at the presentation was that he looked like the little school kid who had just had his favourite sweet stolen from him. His facial expression at that point sure as hell didn't do him any favours.

He will bounce back, but that one will hurt as he was not playing his best and was still up there.

Would be great if him & Danny play each other in the Ryder Cup.

It's funny, I spoke to my mom this morning and she said Jordan was a sore loser. Said his butler cabin display was poor. Tripping over chair and lack of smile was disappointing to her. I found myself defending him but now I think he should have manned up a bit more. I think this hole experience will make him a better golfer and person. He knows what he did right and what he needs to work on. His light will continue to shine brighter and brighter.

I think lack of smile is valid and he also didn't really congratulate Danny. But it's not like he tripped over the chair deliberately haha

I missed the butler cabin display. But I tend to think expressing frustration at losing is quite understandable and even healthy. I see it as part of the competitive fire that helps to drive people like Jordan to be so good. I can't even imagine the emotions he felt. He had it and lost it. I don't know how a person can turn that off. At some point I think we need to turn off the cameras at times and give these guys a little space to work through the initial emotional response and regroup. He's human like everyone else. Watch out US Open. He has unfinished business.

He's gotten worse than last year and it's troubling to see. It appears to be his mind and he just can't stop fidgeting. The fight seems to be within. All those times this weekend he would step away and asking questions like, "what's the wind doing now" or "what was it to the bunker again" sort of things, it wasn't him really wanting to know those answers; it was him uneasy about the shot, whether the grip felt different or his body didn't seem aligned right, etc.

I thought he was a disaster waiting to happen all weekend long. It just didn't feel right watching him. His short game kept him in it the whole time. But his head is starting to take over and I don't know whether it's the pressure starting to mount or he's just young and still working through what it takes to get through a year on the PGA tour with high expectations. But he's got some work to do to snap out of this.
I think it was the ball striking. As a guy who relies on scrambling a good bit too (all be it at an entirely different level) I felt like I could relate to what he was experiencing. It can be a downward spiral when you don't have any confidence over the ball and something is on the line. You know you can't keep leaning on your short game and you have to start hitting shots. Frustration and doubt starts building and leads to too many thoughts - where's the trouble, swing thoughts, etc. I suspect his pace will pick up when he works through these swing issues.

I think people were hoping for the impossible from Spieth. Yes I would have liked to see him congratulate the winner as most have done in the past, but the kid was awesome considering what just happened. He handled himself well and took the time to discuss the loss with the media, where many other before him have said no thank you.

Im not sure what people want, but if you look at the two sides of the spectrum he was pretty darn awesome. Last major sporting even to me was the Super Bowl. Compare the two losing stars.

I know that Speith made those mistakes that cost him, but what I noticed at the presentation was that he looked like the little school kid who had just had his favourite sweet stolen from him. His facial expression at that point sure as hell didn't do him any favours.
I honestly don't know what people expect. You're leading ALL WEEK from the first tee up to nine holes to play, and then your game suddenly falls apart. And then you're asked to crown the winner who benefited from your collapse to take what could have been yours. I don't know many people who would be able to be all smiles in such a situation, and if they were ... I'd almost question their desire. If losing the Masters doesn't bother you ... what will?

I think people were hoping for the impossible from Spieth. Yes I would have liked to see him congratulate the winner as most have done in the past, but the kid was awesome considering what just happened. He handled himself well and took the time to discuss the loss with the media, where many other before him have said no thank you.

Im not sure what people want, but if you look at the two sides of the spectrum he was pretty darn awesome. Last major sporting even to me was the Super Bowl. Compare the two losing stars.

^This X1000. I mean, what in the world do the naysayers want Jordan to do in the Butler cabin? Stand there with some grin on his face and applaud? Seriously, tell us all you Emily Post etiquette experts. What are the appropriate facial expressions and body language, posture, etc...for that situation. Good grief. I think he probably tried to be as unobtrusive as possible, to not distract attention from the champion (ie not say a lot, stand in the background).

Some people just can't be pleased.

I get that Jordan didn't congratulate the winner on camera, but there is also a chance he congratulated him when the camera's weren't on him. Not only that, but I can only imagine everything that's going on in his mind and perhaps he simply forgot to do it. His mind had to be racing at that point.

I'm a fan of Spieth and I think he's a really good human being. He is a human being though and not a robot and to me it's understandable he wasn't smiling after that type off defeat. If he would have been smiling and congratulatory he probably would have been criticized too, it's a lose, lose situation for him where he couldn't have made everyone happy.

He really only played good for one day and a short stretch on Sunday, wasn't enough too win. For the sake of a good Masters win, I'm glad Willett shot a good round on Sunday for the green jacket and not Jordan playing just good enough to stay in the lead. The Masters was there for the taking for a lot of players, especially when the wind laid down Sunday, it was nice to see someone step up and take it. I think Jordan will learn a lot from this tournament and come back a stronger player, he's got a lot of excellent golf in front of him still.

He was good with the press JB, as are many of the guys these days. Some of them are like robots in the sense of telling the press what they want to hear though.

In any sport, you can never know how to win with grace until you know how to lose with dignity. Hopefully this kid will have learned a good life lesson this weekend.

Totally agree, I think we're all just nitpicking at this point.

I'm not a huge Spieth fan (no real reason, just like the guys he keeps beating more) but I'm tipping my hat to the guy.
He handled everything post-round better than I would have so I'm in no position to call out from my soap box.

I think lack of smile is valid and he also didn't really congratulate Danny. But it's not like he tripped over the chair deliberately haha

No he didn't, that would have been silly. But his head wasn't in the right place. That's was the point.

The Jordan Spieth Thread

Danny Willett is on record as saying that Jordan Speith congratulated him during the jacket ceremony. That is good enough for me. To basically walk off the 18th after throwing away a 5 shot lead at the Masters, have a microphone stuck in your face, then being frog marched to the Butler Cabin to put the jacket on the guy that just beat you, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

He's gotten worse than last year and it's troubling to see. It appears to be his mind and he just can't stop fidgeting. The fight seems to be within. All those times this weekend he would step away and asking questions like, "what's the wind doing now" or "what was it to the bunker again" sort of things, it wasn't him really wanting to know those answers; it was him uneasy about the shot, whether the grip felt different or his body didn't seem aligned right, etc.

I thought he was a disaster waiting to happen all weekend long. It just didn't feel right watching him. His short game kept him in it the whole time. But his head is starting to take over and I don't know whether it's the pressure starting to mount or he's just young and still working through what it takes to get through a year on the PGA tour with high expectations. But he's got some work to do to snap out of this.

This is how I felt during the tournament. He played great on Thursday, then appeared to fight with himself over everything the rest of the week. He wasn't hitting the shots he wanted to, he called in his swing coach on Saturday night, he backed off of everything two and three times. He was clearly a man who was not at peace with his game. How many 3 foot putts can you back off of? A lot of it was the weather, but as you said, a lot of it was his head and the outer factors were an excuse to cover whatever was going on inside. It was masked because he scrambled like a champion, and the weather made scoring difficult for everybody.

That's what I thought until birdied four in a row on the front on Sunday. At that point it seemed as though he steadied the ship, and with the wind down and the lead it seemed safe to presume that he'd sneak away with it. A Tiger-esque performance to win a major walking away with your (at best) B game.

Then he completely imploded for three holes. Whatever was going on in his head with his decision-making and his apparent distrust of his swing overcame him.

We all presume that he will bounce back and continue to be a great player, because he's shown the ability and the nerves to do it. But, what if? The amount of indecisiveness he showed over every shot has to be concerning. I don't get to watch golf nearly as much as I used to, but I've gleaned from people who do that Mr. Spieth's indecisiveness as manifested in his pre-shot routine has been trending this way for a while. That has to be a concern because when a golfer loses it between the ears it can be more difficult to bounce back from than a physical injury. I reiterate that almost no one believes that Mr. Spieth is going to lose it, but there may be signs. If he doesn't regain his trust in his swing soon, and he starts missing some putts, it could go downhill fast.

My basic take away is that I'm concerned with the amount of backing off combined with double, triple, quadruple checking every minuscule detail that Mr. Spieth has been doing. These aren't things someone who has a lot of confidence and trust does, which is interesting because Mr. Spieth has shown previously to have a lot of confidence and trust. When you're backing off every single three footer, and double checking to see if the wind is gusting at 15 mph or 17mph, that's not healthy. These could be symptoms of a looming disease that isn't easily cured.

No he didn't, that would have been silly. But his head wasn't in the right place. That's was the point.

I think that's fair. That being said, I can totally understand how he'd feel a little dazed and shellshocked.

Think we can put the hand shaking issue to rest.

image.jpg

Well that's good to hear! Never a doubt in my mind he was a gentleman about the whole thing.

Back