The Jordan Spieth Thread

probably the best tweet I ahve read all year

I hope DLIII plasters that tweet all over the American locker room Ryder Cup week. #Motivation

I watched Jordan's entire round Thursday on Masters.com, in a feature group, and most of the rest on the broadcasts. What I saw, even in the 66, was a golfer fighting his swing the entire tournament, and with a short game so prolific that he got and held the lead most of the way. If Jordan can come this close in a major playing with AT BEST his "B" game, and remembering that now he has been in the mix to the very end in the last 5 majors, I believe we can expect many more thrills watching Jordan Spieth.

probably the best tweet I ahve read all year

Hell, if it had been Kevin Na he could have painted the whole house!

I watched Jordan's entire round Thursday on Masters.com, in a feature group, and most of the rest on the broadcasts. What I saw, even in the 66, was a golfer fighting his swing the entire tournament, and with a short game so prolific that he got and held the lead most of the way. If Jordan can come this close in a major playing with AT BEST his "B" game, and remembering that now he has been in the mix to the very end in the last 5 majors, I believe we can expect many more thrills watching Jordan Spieth.

i agree. something is going on with his path where it's just too far open to the target. he's either going to block the crap out of it, or hook it. if he had ss like dj or rory or day, no way he was anywhere near the top because his misses would have been amplified.

When JS put it in the drink twice then long into the bunker all I could do was hit the shower for my tee time, I couldn't watch this melt down any more. My wife was cursing out the tv. I didn't pick JS in my pool but no way I wanted to see a melt down like that, no one deserves that, especially in a major. I didn't get to watch the rest as I had to go play so when I get the chance I'm sure I'll find the after round interview etc for more comments.

Heard on the radio this morning about his coach flying in saturday night to work with him sunday morning, I think there might have been a few extra thoughts in his head on sudnay, more thinking about the swing than the shot.

I completely agree with this.

I need a reminder from those who know. I don't remember Spieth being a particularly slow player last year or even during Kapalua this year. In fact, I seem to remember comments about how refreshing it was that he just went up and hit the ball last year.

Am I off, or is the speed of play issue new and likely due to the uncertainty of the swing issues (and at least for this week the gusty winds he was trying to wait out)? He was clearly slow this week, and it was tough to watch at times, so not excusing it regardless.

I need a reminder from those who know. I don't remember Spieth being a particularly slow player last year or even during Kapalua this year. In fact, I seem to remember comments about how refreshing it was that he just went up and hit the ball last year.

Am I off, or is the speed of play issue new and likely due to the uncertainty of the swing issues (and at least for this week the gusty winds he was trying to wait out)? He was clearly slow this week, and it was tough to watch at times, so not excusing it regardless.
Somewhere in the Masters thread someone quoted the BBC broadcast (?) which determined he took an average of 10 seconds after addressing his ball at last years tournament and 16 seconds this year.

Somewhere in the Masters thread someone quoted the BBC broadcast (?) which determined he took an average of 10 seconds after addressing his ball at last years tournament and 16 seconds this year.

You are right, I had forgotten that quote...good, I'm not crazy.

I honestly can't say I've seen a golfer handle themselves better after such a disappointing finish than Jordan Spieth did after the Masters.

People are talking about him being a poor sport, but I just didn't see that at any point during the presentations. He did what was expected of him as a previous winner. You can't expect anybody who went through what he just did to be all smiley and laughing. Can you imagine having to be the one to present the trophy after a tournament in which you lost it on basically 1 hole? I know I personally would just want to get away from the course as fast as I could, let alone have to be the one to hand over what I was fighting so hard to win.

I've always been a fan of Jordan, even if sometimes I've been critical of him, but after yesterday I'm more impressed with him as a person than I've ever been.

He's gotten worse than last year and it's troubling to see. It appears to be his mind and he just can't stop fidgeting. The fight seems to be within. All those times this weekend he would step away and asking questions like, "what's the wind doing now" or "what was it to the bunker again" sort of things, it wasn't him really wanting to know those answers; it was him uneasy about the shot, whether the grip felt different or his body didn't seem aligned right, etc.

I thought he was a disaster waiting to happen all weekend long. It just didn't feel right watching him. His short game kept him in it the whole time. But his head is starting to take over and I don't know whether it's the pressure starting to mount or he's just young and still working through what it takes to get through a year on the PGA tour with high expectations. But he's got some work to do to snap out of this.

2nd.
1st.
2nd.

Seems like we know what's coming for JS in 2017.
And he's only 22, he's got years ahead of him, when it's all said and done, I bet he has one heck of a career.

Jordan is smart with PR. He knows what to say and pulls it off with class. But he also has a fierce competitive fire. I like that there is an erupting volcano under that polished exterior. He's going to win a lot of golf tournaments.

And I've said before this fan doesn't mind the slow play. If the PGA wants to actively and consistenly address slow play, great. If not, whatever. More time to post and tweet during tournaments ...

And he's only 22, he's got years ahead of him, when it's all said and done, I bet he has one heck of a career.

I think the vast majority of professional golfer's would take what Jordan has accomplished already as their entire career. I would be very shocked if Jordan didn't win another Master's or two before his career is over.

He's gotten worse than last year and it's troubling to see. It appears to be his mind and he just can't stop fidgeting. The fight seems to be within. All those times this weekend he would step away and asking questions like, "what's the wind doing now" or "what was it to the bunker again" sort of things, it wasn't him really wanting to know those answers; it was him uneasy about the shot, whether the grip felt different or his body didn't seem aligned right, etc.

I thought he was a disaster waiting to happen all weekend long. It just didn't feel right watching him. His short game kept him in it the whole time. But his head is starting to take over and I don't know whether it's the pressure starting to mount or he's just young and still working through what it takes to get through a year on the PGA tour with high expectations. But he's got some work to do to snap out of this.

Good assessment Nate.

For what it's worth, which is probably nothing. I was so happy to see him stripe the drive on 13 and make a great up and down for birdie (especially after seeing Smylie go into the creek from the same spot). Making those two birdies and the tee shot on 16, I think shows he'll be fine in the long run.

But I do agree with the amount of nervousness and stepping off this year. I hadn't really seen him in an event prior to this so, i thought maybe it was due to the conditions on Friday and Saturday.

This was really an odd tournament from start to finish. Spieth hasn't had his A game in quite a while, and seemed to post scores the first 3 rounds 6 strokes better than he was actually playing. Its a shame how it caught up to him, but I think it was just destined to. His maturity off the course is absolutely fantastic, I have no criticisms to offer there, but I think it is his on course behavior where he is losing ground this year. His pace is awful, it has to be something he's not confident in with his setup which is just making his problems worse. The biggest thing I've noticed about him is that I didn't really see him having fun out there this week. He had a few good reactions when a putt dropped or he got a good kick, but going back to the Valspar and the SHO he gets frustrated, throws mini-fits, arguing with his caddie, and seems to suck the life out of his fellow competitors as none of them really do any leaderboard climbing when they're with him on Saturday or Sunday rounds. I think he's putting himself under way too much pressure and is trying to be perfect on every single shot. It has to be wearing on him, he needs to get back to having fun out there with Greller.

Good assessment Nate.

For what it's worth, which is probably nothing. I was so happy to see him stripe the drive on 13 and make a great up and down for birdie (especially after seeing Smylie go into the creek from the same spot). Making those two birdies and the tee shot on 16, I think shows he'll be fine in the long run.

But I do agree with the amount of nervousness and stepping off this year. I hadn't really seen him in an event prior to this so, i thought maybe it was due to the conditions on Friday and Saturday.

I think us Jordan followers wanted to believe it was the conditions on Friday and Saturday but then it was the same on Sunday. When you see a player step back once or twice during a round it's usually because something did change and they want to take a minute to see. Jordan was doing it on every hole and almost every shot. It's his head that he needs to get right. He just needs to figure out how to calm the demon inside which will allow him to hit those shots with 100% confidence. I fully expect he'll snap out of this habit but just don't know how long it's going to take.

Just seeing his interview after the round yesterday and I like this kid even more than I did before. He is owning it and man this is going to make him much better going forward.

I was impressed how he handled that post round interview.

He looked so uncomfortable during the interview with Willet, Dechambeau, The Chairman and Nance and the jacket presentation, and that was before he almost fell over.

I was talking with my brother last night about Jordan. We both agree that for as young as he is and as strong as his short game is, he's going to be there in most Majors. I agree with Nate though, he doesn't seem committed to his swing. If that's in his head, or maybe he's still trying to groove his swing for the year and doesn't want to admit he wasn't 100% ready for the tournament, I don't know. It's not very often we see someone chunk a shot like he did on 12 after the drop. As soon as it came off his club, I said to myself, no he didn't just do that. He dropped back to a number he SHOULD have been comfortable with, that doesn't happen 99.9% of the time when you swing and head is right.

Here is a stat to chew on - Spieth had 22 birdies in the Masters this year. Justin Rose had 19, but no one else within 6 of the winner had more than 17. Danny Willett totaled 13 birdies for the week.

I think its definately a mental issue right now.....look at the late collapse on Saturday on just 17 and 18....two bad drives, 2 decent recovery shots that left him fairly routine pitches for someone with his short game and he basically "chunked" both of them leaving them well short...in any normal circumstance I think he gets both of those up and down and takes a huge 4 shot lead into Sunday.......heck the 3rd shot after the drop on 12....if he hits it to the center of the green and 2 putts for a 5 I think he still wins.

But I agree with Nate....it seemed like the wheels were ready to come off all weekend

A great point about Jordan's current game by Hank Haney this morning on his radio show: Spieth is currently 166th in GIR (greens in regulation)!!! The fact that he still had a chance having doubled SIX holes (if u count the quad as two) and with around 5 or 6 three-putts during the week, is crazy! But, 166th in GIR means he's scrambling a LOT and his putting is saving him. Iron game isn't where it needs to be for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back