Tedfroop

One eyed and left handed
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 10.8
There are plenty of ways to needle and guys especially commentay guy and advice guy to throw them off their game a little and shut them up, like the old "do you breath in or out on your downswing?"

What are some of the best ones you know?

Last edited:
I'm sort of partial to waiting until they hit a good one, stepping up, and saying "that was a good ball! You know, for you".

I'm the kind of guy who will fart when someone is down wind of me. Doesn't always put people off but it's funny to see their face :alien:

I never try to throw them off their game. I will be as supportive as I can on the course. If somebody is laughing at themself, I may make a small joke. But I never try to "get into somebody's head". That sounds like a dick move.

I never try to throw them off their game. I will be as supportive as I can on the course. If somebody is laughing at themself, I may make a small joke. But I never try to "get into somebody's head". That sounds like a dick move.

I'm this way most of the time, but when I play with "commentary guy" I give it all back to them. I got a guy all pissy because I kept telling him "If you had hit it a little harder it would have got there" after he said it to everyone else the first five holes.

I'm this way most of the time, but when I play with "commentary guy" I give it all back to them. I got a guy all pissy because I kept telling him "If you had hit it a little harder it would have got there" after he said it to everyone else the first five holes.

I'm with you here. I don't usually rib anyone too much, especially if they are down, but we do have one guy that has to comment all the time, and sometimes we will say his own comments right back when the situation is reversed. He doesn't always get it though. :D

I'm with you here. I don't usually rib anyone too much, especially if they are down, but we do have one guy that has to comment all the time, and sometimes we will say his own comments right back when the situation is reversed. He doesn't always get it though. :D

This guy didn't have a clue. He kept telling the guy he was riding with (who coincidentally is the guy I play most of my rounds with), "Mike's kind of being an jerk today." hahaha

Jerry and I will say an "Ed-ism" once or twice a round now, just for kicks.

Yeah, I'm usually not one to give people a hard time - I enjoy seeing people play their best. But if they are giving me a hard time, I'll definitely give it right back to them. Funny how a lot of people who rib you on the course don't take ribbing very well.

I'm with blugold and Smallville. Don't be a dick until someone forces you. It would take repeated intentional comments to get me started.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't needle anyone I don't know. I just talk as we play and try and be supportive, Lord knows they will need to be supportive of my game, but if it is with my buddie I play with all the time, we have a good time giving each other a hard time. There is a line we do not cross when one of us is have a really bad day and not laughing at their game. That does not happen often as we just usually hit the "flask" a little more often and just light another cigar.

just the occasional, "Noonan....NOONAN!" on the putting green...

or just to taunt someone who has hit the gound behind the ball, "I love you Chunk"...

Yeah one time some guy I was playing with was like, you're aiming 1* too far left, like an idiot I adjust and hit a bunker. . .Finally on the last hole I tell him the same thing and haha into the lake it goes. . .

Yeah one time some guy I was playing with was like, you're aiming 1* too far left, like an idiot I adjust and hit a bunker. . .Finally on the last hole I tell him the same thing and haha into the lake it goes. . .

The guy I play with hits all his shots Jake Straight all day long, and this Ed guy will tell Jerry, the one time he hits it straight (on the 15th hole), that he should aim more to the middle of the fairway. This is after he has hit most of the fairways all day long!

The guy I play with hits all his shots Jake Straight all day long, and this Ed guy will tell Jerry, the one time he hits it straight (on the 15th hole), that he should aim more to the middle of the fairway. This is after he has hit most of the fairways all day long!

haha that's hilarious.

I needle just about everyone I play with. Mostly that's because I play with my friends, my dad, and my brother most of the time. I love messing with them.

I don't needle anyone I don't know. I just talk as we play and try and be supportive, Lord knows they will need to be supportive of my game, but if it is with my buddie I play with all the time, we have a good time giving each other a hard time. There is a line we do not cross when one of us is have a really bad day and not laughing at their game. That does not happen often as we just usually hit the "flask" a little more often and just light another cigar.

Same here (minus cigars) -- my regular group laugh at each other's expense, but not when someone is clearly having a bad day. Not usually any mind games, although last year, after a few great drives, my friend asked "what did you change in your swing?" I think it was an innocent question, but I topped the next two drives and was pretty pissed! However, pulled it together and finished with my best round ever at that particular course, so I had the last laugh!

Usually: no way. But if my buddy and I are playing against each other (as opposed to with each other) I will needle all round long.

I love this one....

I love this one....

Oh yeah, the guy shoots from 105-115 most of the time. I've seen him come close, but never break 100.

(I guess he used to years ago, but with injuries he can't hit the ball very far anymore)

Leave a putt way short and you might hear "I like that putter. Does it come in men's?"

Myself and the group of guys I play with on Sundays always have a few of them to toss out. One of my favorites is when someone leaves a putt way short, "You should put your purse on the other shoulder when you putt, then it wont get in the way." Which is ironic, because I am known to leave a putt or two short.

Someone hits a sky ball of the tee box? "Nice wedge" or "Should have tee'd it up a bit more."

Played with an old friend today who is the biggest (friendly) trash talker I've ever seen. He's not being a dick or actually trying to mess me up, but just having fun. So today we trash talked so much I shot a new PR.

"You're not gonna hit that green with a 5-iron!"
"You should go apply to that comedy club down the street cause they'd take you!"

"Hah! You're gonna miss this putt!"
"I heard they're was a vacancy at the insane asylum over there, I'll call them for you."

"It'll be easy to out-drive you here."
"There's a lot of easy things in life and out-driving me is not one of 'em!"

Those kinds of things.

I am supportive on the course as well. Call a good shot a good shot no matter what. I do not give people a hard time unless they do the same to me.

I was mostly thinking of last week on Sunday. I played with this guy who did stuff the whole round to piss me off. It started on the second shot of the day when he decided to move his power cart just as I started my downswing. No sorry, no oops nothing. I didn't say anything but it kind of went on all day, just stupid little stuff but really annoying. He also threw (litteraly) flag sticks on the green and I don't think I saw him fix a ball mark all day. I never said anything but I think the guy he was with did. I really wanted to say something to mess with him a little but all I though was if I ever see him on the tee again I'm going back to the clubhouse to ask to play with someone else.

I guess I titled the thread wrong and it should have included ribbing - which happens even with strangers, as long as nobody takes them self too seriously.

I played with these two guys a while ago and one of them never touched a flag stick all the way to about the middle of the back nine. His buddy finally looked at him and asked "how much do you thing one of these things weighs?" After his buddy replied he said "How would you know you haven't picked one up all day."

One guy who until recently was in our regular group (I'll no longer play with him for a VARIETY of reasons) was the notorious needler who couldn't take it when reversed.

He gets double bogey and he wants to go home, you get one and he says while smiling broadly, "sorry, but you gotta hit good shots."

One time while my ball was in the air and heading toward protected area, he proudly announces, "if it goes in there, that's a stroke."

"Sure is," I said. "Just like I'm sure you penalized yourself for rolling your ball in the fairway on the last hole and fluffing your lie in the rough." Money match afterall and each a cardinal sin.

He took his bag off the cart and left like a little baby. 48 yr old child.

I don't needle. It's just not my personality.

Kevin

Back