The Official 2015 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One week into training camp & we already need a RB.... Why do I feel like this is going to be a long year

steven jackson on line one.....steven jackson.

Dude I can run faster than that guy right now..... Dare I say it.... Ray Rice on line one???

Raiders will cut Trent Richardson pretty soon, there ya go

Dude I can run faster than that guy right now..... Dare I say it.... Ray Rice on line one???

Should be an interesting Hard Knocks first few episodes! Speaking of, doesn't that start tonight?

Should be an interesting Hard Knocks first few episodes! Speaking of, doesn't that start tonight?

Tuesday the 11th

What that article doesn't take into account is the probability of a career ending or season ending injury when comparing the contract of a baseball player to that of someone in the NFL. It also doesn't take into account that there is a hard salary cap in the NFL, and this helps work around that so they still have money for other players, while the MLB doesn't have one I don't believe.

In the end...Russel Wilson still just made $31.7 million dollars this year and is on track to be making nearly $13 million for the next few. And that's not counting endorsements he has. I think he'll be just fine.

What that article doesn't take into account is the probability of a career ending or season ending injury when comparing the contract of a baseball player to that of someone in the NFL. It also doesn't take into account that there is a hard salary cap in the NFL, and this helps work around that so they still have money for other players, while the MLB doesn't have one I don't believe.

In the end...Russel Wilson still just made $31.7 million dollars this year and is on track to be making nearly $13 million for the next few. And that's not counting endorsements he has. I think he'll be just fine.

The entire article is not only flawed in logic, but lacking actual correct information in a number of instances. Another area that is missed, is for all the bashing the NFL takes from hacks like this, they are the healthiest organization in sports by a landslide. Maybe that makes the case that they have it right and the jokes that are MLB and NBA are incredibly weak.

Its typical in this day and age however, to want to say "screw the people that take all of the risk" (league and owners), and give everybody else the money. Reminds me a lot of this country as a whole. Dont worry about the business owners, just because they take all of the risk, make sure the employees "gets mine" first.

The entire article is not only flawed in logic, but lacking actual correct information in a number of instances. Another area that is missed, is for all the bashing the NFL takes from hacks like this, they are the healthiest organization in sports by a landslide. Maybe that makes the case that they have it right and the jokes that are MLB and NBA are incredibly weak.

Its typical in this day and age however, to want to say "screw the people that take all of the risk" (league and owners), and give everybody else the money. Reminds me a lot of this country as a whole. Dont worry about the business owners, just because they take all of the risk, make sure the employees "gets mine" first.
I am very much with you on this sentiment as it relates to business in general. So many people want to b*tch about not getting theirs. Well, if you think it is so easy to get people to pay for a service or product - and do so at a profit - go out and start your own business. That said, I am not sure how much this line of thinking applies to NFL owners, as they are in the very unique position of facing virtually zero financial risk.

I am very much with you on this sentiment as it relates to business in general. So many people want to b*tch about not getting theirs. Well, if you think it is so easy to get people to pay for a service or product - and do so at a profit - go out and start your own business. That said, I am not sure how much this line of thinking applies to NFL owners, as they are in the very unique position of facing virtually zero financial risk.

Nothing has zero risk. The owner of the business and the league are always the ones responsible. Criminals get convicted of crimes and because they are employees, who takes the brunt? Not the player, they get back in all the time if the skill is there. The owners and the league get lambasted.

The entire premise if guaranteed contracts in sports is ridiculous. Sign your max NBA deal, stink and then sit back and sink a franchise for a decade. MLB, even worse. One league (now two with NHL) got it right, and of course they are bashed because of it. Every deal in the world should favor the owners over the employees. It does not mean the employees should not be rewarded, because they should be, and frankly are in a huge way. They also have no risk. Play a game well and you get paid well. Dont want to or are not good enough, you will not get paid well. Its as simple as that. Its no different than any other job in the world when you break it all the way down.

Nothing has zero risk. The owner of the business and the league are always the ones responsible. Criminals get convicted of crimes and because they are employees, who takes the brunt? Not the player, they get back in all the time if the skill is there. The owners and the league get lambasted.

The entire premise if guaranteed contracts in sports is ridiculous. Sign your max NBA deal, stink and then sit back and sink a franchise for a decade. MLB, even worse. One league (now two with NHL) got it right, and of course they are bashed because of it. Every deal in the world should favor the owners over the employees. It does not mean the employees should not be rewarded, because they should be, and frankly are in a huge way. They also have no risk. Play a game well and you get paid well. Dont want to or are not good enough, you will not get paid well. Its as simple as that. Its no different than any other job in the world when you break it all the way down.

I agree with your overall point about business owners taking the risk, but I think it is fair to say NFL players (and other athletes take a fair amount of risk with their health.

I agree with your overall point about business owners taking the risk, but I think it is fair to say NFL players (and other athletes take a fair amount of risk with their health.

So honest question. A developer is building a neighborhood. Should the roofer get paid more than the developer? Should he have a guaranteed 5 year contract even if he cant work? Or should he get his own coverage, because while the owner will a plan in place should an injury occur, it might not offer or pay out what he wants to live comfortably.

Again, when you break it down, it makes no sense. The other sports leagues, which dont hold a candle to the health of the NFL are what is being compared, which is funny really.

So honest question. A developer is building a neighborhood. Should the roofer get paid more than the developer? Should he have a guaranteed 5 year contract even if he cant work? Or should he get his own coverage, because while the owner will a plan in place should an injury occur, it might not offer or pay out what he wants to live comfortably.

Again, when you break it down, it makes no sense. The other sports leagues, which dont hold a candle to the health of the NFL are what is being compared, which is funny really.
Again, I generally agree with your sentiment. But I just think sports in general are different. NFL owners have massive guaranteed income from TV deals for the next X years. They are pretty much guaranteed to turn a profit even if fans don't show up. Virtually no other business has that kind of guaranteed revenue stream. But hey, the players have a union and they agreed to the system, so it is what it is. I personally don't understand why they agreed to it - why not just go year to year? No charade of long term guaranteed money, the performing players still get paid, you don't lose control of future years to the owners. The biggest reason I can see that not happening is the current system benefits the owners - they get to lock in salaries for when the player performs and get out of the contract if the player doesn't. Good for them, smart business model.

Again, I generally agree with your sentiment. But I just think sports in general are different. NFL owners have massive guaranteed income from TV deals for the next X years. They are pretty much guaranteed to turn a profit even if fans don't show up. Virtually no other business has that kind of guaranteed revenue stream. But hey, the players have a union and they agreed to the system, so it is what it is. I personally don't understand why they agreed to it - why not just go year to year? No charade of long term guaranteed money, the performing players still get paid, you don't lose control of future years to the owners. The biggest reason I can see that not happening is the current system benefits the owners - they get to lock in salaries for when the player performs and get out of the contract if the player doesn't. Good for them, smart business model.

And again, the lack of understanding of the way the NFL works runs rampant in some of these articles. How do you think it gets determined what the salary cap is in sports leagues? A percentage of revenue is almost guaranteed to go to the players. How they choose to structure those deals is up to them. Again, when broken down, its like every other job in the world.

EDIT: I should add that right now in the NFL, players receive close to 50% of AR (all revenue).

I understand how the business side of the league works. I just found it interesting how huge Russ's contract seems, but gives the team a lot of control. That's all. I don't agree or disagree with it. Just that it's interesting.

And again, the lack of understanding of the way the NFL works runs rampant in some of these articles. How do you think it gets determined what the salary cap is in sports leagues? A percentage of revenue is almost guaranteed to go to the players. How they choose to structure those deals is up to them. Again, when broken down, its like every other job in the world.

EDIT: I should add that right now in the NFL, players receive close to 50% of AR (all revenue).
I was aware of the % but I guess I hadn't thought it all the way through from the player's perspective. I guess their rationale for agreeing to the system would be that if player X get cut and loses his future money then players Y & Z presumably get paid more those years, so the money still ends up going to the players. I get it at the macro level but it still doesn't make sense on a micro level (for player X in my hypothetical).

Okay, back to day dreaming about events and equipment...

I understand how the business side of the league works. I just found it interesting how huge Russ's contract seems, but gives the team a lot of control. That's all. I don't agree or disagree with it. Just that it's interesting.

Oh it's definitely interesting. Wasn't directing my comment at you at all. I just thought it was funny that he compared one league's contracts, which has a hard salary cap and high risk of injury, to another league which has a low risk of injury and no salary cap. Two different sports worlds IMO.

Yes, they do take that risk, but at the end of the day they shouldn't be making as much (collectively) as the owners.

I was aware of the % but I guess I hadn't thought it all the way through from the player's perspective. I guess their rationale for agreeing to the system would be that if player X get cut and loses his future money then players Y & Z presumably get paid more those years, so the money still ends up going to the players. I get it at the macro level but it still doesn't make sense on a micro level (for player X in my hypothetical).

Okay, back to day dreaming about events and equipment...

I guess my thought is that is no different than any other job. If player X gets cut, it means he is not worth the salary demanded. Just like most employers, the reason will justify. If they perform, they get paid.

I guess my thought is that is no different than any other job. If player X gets cut, it means he is not worth the salary demanded. Just like most employers, the reason will justify. If they perform, they get paid.

Or have strange owners who reward players for sub par performances a la Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton haha.

...or anyone the browns have pretty much ever signed.

Reports are that TY is looking for $14MM per year. Shewww weeeee... Freaking love him, but not at 14 a year. No chance, no way!

My Cowboy pants are beginning to get excited for this year now. Training camp reports, daily social media and just that time of the year. Can not wait. I will have my Cowboy game by game summary and record predictions done before the start of the season. #RomoWeTrust

My Cowboy pants are beginning to get excited for this year now. Training camp reports, daily social media and just that time of the year. Can not wait. I will have my Cowboy game by game summary and record predictions done before the start of the season. #RomoWeTrust
I need to find a picture of Jordan Spieth wearing a Cowboys hat. That may send you over the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back