The Poutine Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread needed a new name since it has become the Poutine Thread. To talk all about delicious poutine meals.

Last edited:
The A&W/KFC closed down here in Jax. Sounds like an interesting meal!

I've had the real poutine before and its quite tasty.

However, KFC gravy is fabulous so that is a must try in my book!

LIES!

there is no such thing as a poutine outside the province of Quebec

I do like Poutine, but fast foot poutine? Sounds kinda sketchy.

KFC/A&W = Poutine (sort of).

To get this entry, you'll need to go to a joint KFC and A&W location, one of those increasingly common fast food mergers where they've built both restaurants into the same building. They're not that easy to find; the last time I saw an A&W "All American Food" was somewhat ironically in Malaysia.

Still, it's really worth it in a greasy, hate-yourself-the-next-morning, I-just-slept-with-my-best-friend's-wife sort of way.

This fast-food poutine is a serving of A&W French fries smothered in gravy from the KFC counter right next door. This isn't the traditional way of serving poutine--up in Quebec they serve the dish smothered in cheese curds as well as gravy--but it's also not typically served up in a small, orange box either. What it lacks in cultural accuracy, A&W's secret menu option more than makes up for in flavor. This one is well worth trying.

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/top-10-secret-menu-items-at-fast-food-restaurants-191422214.html

I was flipping out until I read the bold part... Man, I am in dire need of the poutines. I may go find some cheese curds and create my own using five guys fries or something magical like that.

• Admin
LIES!

there is no such thing as a poutine outside the province of Quebec

Man, wouldnt Quebec be screwed if great things was limited to where they originated. :D

• Admin
I was flipping out until I read the bold part... Man, I am in dire need of the poutines. I may go find some cheese curds and create my own using five guys fries or something magical like that.

While true, that gravy will still make the fries mightily delicious.

While true, that gravy will still make the fries mightily delicious.

A&W in Canada makes some mighty glorious poutine, there's no denying it. Then again, KFC serves actual fries in Canada... So does Taco Bell for that matter. The fries supreme there is insanely good. I can't make this stuff up.

tacobell_friessupreme_v-2.jpg

You know what makes me laugh every time I go back there? New York Fries. Last I checked, there isn't one anywhere around me here, and yet they are all over in Canada, making unreal poutine. It's a sad, desperately disappointing fact, yet one I have learned to live with.

I'll be on the hunt for this next time I am out.. Not sure there's an A&W+KFC mashup anywhere local though.

If there is, I want pictures of this glorious thing. If nothing else, KFC gravy is delicious on any potato product.

Man, wouldnt Quebec be screwed if great things was limited to where they originated. :D

this is so true, for quebec and for most regions/countries for that matter but i've tried poutine in a few other canadian provinces, states, south america, europe and even in africa, and none came even close to Quebec's poutine.

Fries'n Gravy posing as Poutine?? SACRILEGE!
If you guys can track down some poutine with squeaky cheese curds, duck fat fried french fries and a proper gravy, you'll be in seventh heaven (who knows, maybe your heart will actually give out).
Looks like I'll have to drive to Canmore this weekend to get some legit Quebec poutine. I haven't had any since I was in Montreal last month and I'm on a bit of a withdrawal.

If there is, I want pictures of this glorious thing. If nothing else, KFC gravy is delicious on any potato product.

Eric Cartman agrees...

cartmangravy.png

Last time I was in, of all places, Kuwait City, there was a KFC/A&W. A magical place full of fried chicken and root beer in frosty mugs.

Fries'n Gravy posing as Poutine?? SACRILEGE!
If you guys can track down some poutine with squeaky cheese curds, duck fat fried french fries and a proper gravy, you'll be in seventh heaven (who knows, maybe your heart will actually give out).
Looks like I'll have to drive to Canmore this weekend to get some legit Quebec poutine. I haven't had any since I was in Montreal last month and I'm on a bit of a withdrawal.

There are many places to get it in the US.

I still getting past the fact that there is still A&W restaurants. I haven't seen one of those in years! I am surprised I don't see more Poutine here in the Rochester area considering that a Lake separates us from Canada. Then again we smother everything in Buffalo sauce including French Fries so maybe that is our version.

Mmm, buffalo fries sound good too

Burger King has them in my neck of the woods and they're pretty good! Canadan if you pull off a Five Guys poutine, I'd be insanely jealous. It's one of my must visits when I'm in the States, add poutine-style to the mix, just wow.

Now i might have to eat some foie gras poutine tonight...

Burger King has them in my neck of the woods and they're pretty good! Canadan if you pull off a Five Guys poutine, I'd be insanely jealous. It's one of my must visits when I'm in the States, add poutine-style to the mix, just wow.

There are a couple local places that sell cheese curds... There are also lots of substitutes, like the kraft crumbles or whatever they sell at the grocery.. I'm sure I can make it work!

poutine schmoutine

poutine schmoutine

While poutine sounds good I must raise the bar with some green chile cheese fries!

They have a Poutine stand at Saratoga race track. I waited too long Saturday and when I got to the counter they were out of gravy. So just fries and cheese curd.....? Devastated.

There are a couple local places that sell cheese curds... There are also lots of substitutes, like the kraft crumbles or whatever they sell at the grocery.. I'm sure I can make it work!

Make it happen, pictures are mandatory!

Back