The Smart Watch Thread

I have the Microsoft Band 2. It has some nice features that make it good for work and recreation, though the golf score tracking feature could use a bit of work.

I've been looking at smart watches lately. My only problem is that I can't wear it in any of my labs at work, so I would constantly be taking it off and locking it up when I go in a lab, then unlocking and putting it back on when I come out. it seems like too much of a hassle for something that isn't really a necessity.

My biggest problem when looking at smart watches is I really need two. I want one that looks nice enough to wear to work and around town, something like the Huwai. But I also want one to run in, so it needs to have built in GPS, like the Sony Smart watch. But A, the good looking ones don't have GPS, and B, the Steel watches aren't ideal for running.

So it looks like I'll be running with my phone and wearing my analog watch a while longer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Garmin Fenix 3 looks good and has GPS built in.

Or go with one of the Chinese imports. Many of them have GPS built in, can be had for a song and they have more models to choose from than just about anything else out there.

Or go with one of the Chinese imports. Many of them have GPS built in, can be had for a song and they have more models to choose from than just about anything else out there.
Know of a good place to check out the Chinese watches?

The Fenix is cool, I need to check it out in person.

Know of a good place to check out the Chinese watches?

The Fenix is cool, I need to check it out in person.

In person? Beijing
Online? I would probably say GearBest or even Amazon (for some models)

Like check out the Oukitel A29. I believe that has a GPS (dont quote me on it).

I'm guessing most of the Chinese watches run Android Wear? Or are they more along the lines of the Pebble?

I had the Fenix 3 for a while, until the Mrs. got me the Apple Watch. I absolutely loved the Fenix, and if I had not gotten the Apple Watch, I would still be using it.

In person? Beijing

is that the one we were talking about out in California? I looked at it briefly and it looked pretty good.

I'm guessing most of the Chinese watches run Android Wear? Or are they more along the lines of the Pebble?

Some run Android Wear. Some run MediaTek. Some run Fundo.
The OS is never going to be as good as those brought stateside. But they come out fast, usually work decently well as far as notifications and such. And are far and away ahead of what is here already, because they release 4 times a year instead of once a year or once every 2 years.

Interesting - this isn't a space I've looked into that much - there's a lot of compelling choices out there. Especially for the prices I've seen browsing GearBest.

Interesting - this isn't a space I've looked into that much - there's a lot of compelling choices out there. Especially for the prices I've seen browsing GearBest.

The downfall of course being that its almost always going to be buyer beware. The company is going to offer you virtually no service or interaction or many updates.

The downfall of course being that its almost always going to be buyer beware. The company is going to offer you virtually no service or interaction or many updates.

I think that's the nice thing with the watch - it's not a necessity so I'm willing to tinker. The phone on the other hand is essential so support is important.

I was about a click away from getting a Moto 360 Gen 2 watch. Then I saw It didnt fix the flat tire issue with the bottom of the screen, which essentially renders the bottom 10th of the screen useless as its not used. Then I started to really look at other alternatives. For me I wanted something that looked like a watch so the Apple didnt have a chance with me, but it was why I really liked the moto 360. If i was going to buy one it would be the Huawei smart watch as it looks amaing the display is about the best out there.

Another consideration I had was length of use. Just based on my timeline with phones software and hardware on things like these will be about spent in give or take 3 to 4 years (if not less) So the idea of spending 300 to 600 on a watch that will about useless or maybe ready to "upgrade" in the that small time frame really turned me off. Its possible with updates they might last longer, sure, but I know I can find a pretty decent mechanical actual watch that will outlive me. Hopefully the price will begin to drop as the tech gets better and smaller, becasue for around 100 I think I would pick one up.

In person? Beijing

It doesn't look like it does. Both that model and the Bluboo Uwatch look like fantastic deals for watches that look good and run Android Wear. I've only found a couple that have GPS, and they are over $100. So many of the Chinese models can make voice calls and function without a cell phone, but few have GPS still.

So I gave my wife her watch today and we've ran into the first problem already...it only shows her phone numbers and not the contact name. I've searched all over Google and can't find a thing to fix this.

Anyone else run into this problem?

So I gave my wife her watch today and we've ran into the first problem already...it only shows her phone numbers and not the contact name. I've searched all over Google and can't find a thing to fix this.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Has she imported her phone book?

Has she imported her phone book?

Yeah. They were all there earlier and then it updated and broke it. I've thought about doing a factory reset and just not allowing the update...

Unless we're missing something on the import side. It imported everything when we set it up. She has a list that looks like "favorites" and that has names. But if I call her it only shows my number and no name

Curious if anyone has or knows anyone with the Tag connected watch

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was an early Android Wear adopter, so I bought the Gear Live. I really liked it for a long time, but with some policy changes at work concerning bluetooth devices, I can't wear it to work anymore. It works well with a few golf gps apps, so I do wear it on the course quite a bit, but being one of the first Android Wear devices, it's a little large and bulky compared to the current crop. I've been thinking about going with the ASUS Zenwatch 2 lately, it's cheap and quite a bit thinner than the Gear Live.

Curious if anyone has or knows anyone with the Tag connected watch

No, but I researched the crap out of them. Still too limited for me with 1st generation.

I want to get the first gen pebble smartwatch to see if I would actually like one...anyone have any experience with it? Any problems with it? Thanks.

No, but I researched the crap out of them. Still too limited for me with 1st generation.
I was kind of feeling the same way. I love the idea and look though. I hope they continue to improve on them a bit and will continue to read up on user reviews. If anyone gets one or the Breitling Connected let me know your experiences

Well, another factory reset and it's back to working. That's two resets today. This isn't starting off well for the Smart Watch era in my household

Back