JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We asked a while ago about stimpmeters and quite a few were unaware of how they worked.

Very good information! I will admit that I am mostly naive to the stimpmeter (i knew what is was, in terms of measuring green speed, but no clue to the scale or the implications), and it is something that I may have to pay more attention to. An eye-opening moment occurred on both days of the grandaddy when first, the five-time club champion read a few putts for me including stimp info varying on the undulation, grain, and time of day... then, Matt Wood, the PGA pro from the Hideaway did the same thing day 2. Both are very good golfers and process a lot more information per shot than i do. This got me thinking that I should bump up my golf IQ and quit being a 'golf-neanderthal'. Thanks for the helpful post!

Pretty cool, had no idea how they calculated that.

Yeah never knew how they did what they did.

So much wind!!

Interesting though ...I never knew that. Now I know how it works...I still don't know what to do with that information.

Something that always sounds far more technical than it is. Sometimes a simple tool is the best for a job.

Saw this happening last weekend on the practice green. Turns out it was the superintendent showing the new greens staff how to measure the green speed.

Not so scientific, more of an approximation... And good luck getting greens at significantly different elevations or those with different degrees of shade cover to read consistent.

I love when a course knows their stimp reading. Helps me get in the right mindset for putting

I love when a course knows their stimp reading. Helps me get in the right mindset for putting
I just like to see what they are so I can compare them to the greens everyone else talks about.

There is a notch in them that only releases the ball when it hits a certain angle correct? Is there anywhere to buy them that doesn't cost $80?

I learned about this while watching tour officials do this when I volunteered in Greensboro at the Wyndham.

Had no clue how this was done until now. That was a pretty cool video!

It's amazing that with modern technology that it is still done this way. I guess if it's not broke why try to fix it!

Pretty cool....I wish more courses posted their speeds and worked to keep their greens the same speed

Between the wind and the leaf blower you think they would have re-shot the video. I guess "they didn't knew that".

I learned something today! Thanks!

JM

Really cool, I've never actually seen how they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was really interesting. I had no idea how they calculated it and that was fun to watch.

Nice video, had no idea how they measures that before

Awesome video. I knew of the Stimpmeter, but didn't know exactly what went into it and how they determined it.

Very good video. I was actually talking about a stimpmeter New Years day prior to our round. The practice green was rolling incredibly fast and we could not stop a down hill putt close to the hole.

Back