The cream cheese was a little much. The other one was fried shrimp topped with spicy crab. The favorite for both of us.

Cool. Similar to a volcano done in some places. Looks good.
Thanks for the pics.

Perfect time for this thread to come up.....I have a lunch date tomorrow and she wants to go to this sushi place she likes.....I haven't really done sushi before

I need help! What do I order.....a) so I don't look stupid and b) so I don't puke

Perfect time for this thread to come up.....I have a lunch date tomorrow and she wants to go to this sushi place she likes.....I haven't really done sushi before

I need help! What do I order.....a) so I don't look stupid and b) so I don't puke

Safe bets
Mexican Roll - Fried Shrimp
Japanese Bagel - Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese

Both of these are at most places and are safe bets to dip your toes in.

Safe bets
Mexican Roll - Fried Shrimp
Japanese Bagel - Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese

Both of these are at most places and are safe bets to dip your toes in.

Thanks JB, I appreciate the advice

The cream cheese was a little much. The other one was fried shrimp topped with spicy crab. The favorite for both of us.

The fried shrimp with spicy crab has my attention.

The cream cheese one is easily the largest percentage of cream cheese that I've ever seen in sushi. Wow.

Tempura shrimp roll is usually pretty safe as well as california rolls. tuna and salmon nigiri are usually tolerated well if you like either fish in general. Albacore tends to be served partially cooked and with ponzu (citrus soy sauce) which isn't too bad for someone new to sushi. Unagi, fresh water eel, is served cooked and is really tastey, but the texture can be tough if you have an issue with textures.

Really, I would say, don't be afraid to try anything and worst case spit it out into your napkin if you don't like it haha.

Ask your date for suggestions too

For a first date I would go with cooked rolls AKA shrimp tempura rolls. They are solid, most people really like them. You can also try vegetarian rolls just to get used to the textures. If all else fails, go to some sort of chicken teriyaki plate. A great newbie roll is the spicy tuna roll. They are usually great and not too much raw fish is involved.

FOR THE RECORD: the cream cheese up there ^, is pretty gnarly. I couldnt hang with that roll!

I thought that was fish, not cream cheese when I first saw those pics. I can't do cream cheese in rolls. It's just wrong. and OMG that is sooo freaking much cream cheese. how would you not get sick from that?

That's a lot of cream cheese, Deano.

Thanks for all the suggestions gang.....she is a sushi pro....I confessed to her tonight that I was a sushi newbie and she promised to be gentle with me....hehe

TBT, if you're not familiar with wasabi, it's the green paste served with sushi. It's Japanese horseradish, and it can be incredibly spicy. I'm a big fan of it, but a little goes a long way.

I hope I don't come across to pompus but I have been working in kitchens for almost 30 years and 12 as a Sushi Chef.
I believe cream cheese has no place in sushi it belongs on a bagel with smoked salmon or whitefish. That Said.....
You get what you pay for in life and the same applies to Sushi restaurants the cheap ones serve cheap fish and most of time lie (mislable) the fish they serve you. The main culprits are serving imitation crab, tilapia as snapper, anything labled white tuna as there is no such fish and usually it's escolar which can act like a laxative if you eat to much or you are sensitive to it.
Sushi means served over seasoned rice or is called nigiri
Sashimi is raw fish
Maki refers to rolls and depending on the shape of the roll they have different names
I currently work as a private chef/caterer but my last salaried position was as Executive Sushi Chef and I made a slide show of some of my work. YouTube removed the Stevie Ray Vaughn music from it but here it is. Oh yeah good sushi is hard to beat and rivals any meal. Japanese culture and cuisine is remarkable,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jJ6OSggk0<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jJ6OSggk0" target="_blank">

Ah, guess who got elected to cook @ next outing :D

tappin from my big as note2

That's a lot of cream cheese, Deano.

when I used to go their for lunch when I worked around the corner, they used to have the cream cheese wrapped inside instead of having it on top. I was a little surprised when it came out like that. Still tasted good to me.

got introduced to sushi around 1991 when I had just finished high school and was working at a sporting goods store that had a great sushi place in the same parking lot. I'd go with other guys from work on Friday nights and the owners were really cool, let me drink Sapporo with the guys and we had a great time. They had me try just about everything over the course of our visits, so I figured out what I like and have been a connoisseur ever since. Not a big fan of lots of sauce on my sushi and I don't really care much for the spicy sauce most places use. I love good salmon, yellowtail, tuna, ahi, butterfish, green muscles, even the flying fish eggs if I'm in the mood. I feel lucky that we have a good place close by that serves all-you-can-eat for $20 and makes it to order for you.

Doc just shot me a text asking if I wanted to go get sushi tonight. Love that woman.

But, now I must choose, Sushi or golf. Oof.

TBT - May I suggest NOT getting Eel. Eel sauce is great, but Eel itself not so much, I think it's an acquired taste. Also stay away from Octopus, it's super chewy, if you enjoy munching on a rubber band you might like it. I agree with others, go for the cooked stuff to start with, Mexican roll is always a good choice, Volcano roll if they have it is also always good. And PLEASE listen to ATLGolfer, the wasabi will clear your sinuses in two seconds, use sparingly. It's not spicy like hot sauce, it's horseradish.

how much does a higher end quality plate of sushi run?

how much does a higher end quality plate of sushi run?

Completely dependent on location in my opinion.
We have gone out with War Eagle to dinner and our foursome might cost $200.
Other times we have gone out and our table of four might cost 90.

Completely dependent on location in my opinion.
We have gone out with War Eagle to dinner and our foursome might cost $200.
Other times we have gone out and our table of four might cost 90.

Or that one time the two of you went out together and your bill was $170...that was a lot of sushi haha.

Back