The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit the range last night. Hitting the ball a little better with the irons and the 3 wood. However, the driver is still a problem. Last night, I was only hitting maybe 4 out of 10 in the direction I wanted it to go. The rest were really really bad slices.

Took a day off yesterday for the most part. I ended up doing a few drills and hitting a handful of balls for about 15 minutes, but nothing really focused.

I'm heading out today to work on shortening my backswing; seeing the Dana Quigley swing clip in another thread really enlightened me.

Drills and balls for an hour after work. Felt pretty good. Not my best day, but not bad at all. Really working on being smooth right now. I can get that feeling about 1 out of 5 times it seems, but when I do, good things happen. Tough to just let myself be loose after a few years of trying to steer the ball.

Figured something out at the range (indoor) today while testing the Razr Fit Xtreme and my numbers went through the roof!

Had a long range session this morning mainly working on iron accuracy. Felt pretty good all in all but would love to get a little more height on my lower irons.

Had a nice practice 9 today. Played multiple balls and really worked on a consistent tempo. Ball striking was good for the most part.

I went to the range Sunday to work on some short and mid range clubs. Started out with the 7 iron and I was hit the ball better than ever. Nice high bombs that I dont hit, I usually have a mid ball flight, but Sunday they were launched really high and definitely pounded down there. I dont think I have ever hit a 7i that far before and it was consistant on every shot. Next I turned to the sand wedge, which is always a problem for me when taking a full swing. Not sure what the deal is here. Well, after about 5 crummy swings, I stopped and thought about what I could be doing and came up with what I wanted the swing to feel like, versus what I was feeling. I took a couple of practice swings in slow motion, dropped a ball down and proceeded to crush the sandwedge for the next 30/40 minutes. Absolutely beautiful shot after shot nice high ball flight directly at the target. I was extremely excited to finally feel some confidence with th sandwedge in my hand.
Then I went to the chipping/putting greenand work on some things with the 56*. All I can say is I wish I had been on the course that day. I was hitting it inside 2' every single time and I was doing it from every distance to multiple holes. Complete amazing for me.
Next I broke out the putter and played around with it for about 30 minutes. Lag putts were dead on. Short putts were dead on. Not sure what happened to me, but this was the best day I have ever had practicing. Never before have I had eveything working perfectly throughout a practice session. Definitely one of those days that you cant wait to get back to the course.
Then Monday came around. I went after work for a little range time. Comlete opposite from Sunday. Could not hit a single shot. Putter through the 7i were garbage. It was on of those days that you wonder if you have ever played this game before. Maybe today I can bring it back together.

Figured something out at the range (indoor) today while testing the Razr Fit Xtreme and my numbers went through the roof!

What did you figure out? Grip? Stance? What?

Been working in the house on the left hand low putting. I'm getting very comfortable with it. Been rolling putts every night with it. I'm finding my SI2 with my Super Stroke Slim grip is the best combo for me for theleft hand low grip and to get my thumbs pointing down the shaft.

Once I got used to the balmy 17F weather :)angry:), my range time was spent concentrating on shortening my backswing. I'm not sure how successful I was with that endeavor, but I did start to notice how pathetic my release is - - after watching a few dozen balls fly out to the right, I focused on going "toe-up" to "toe-up". The last few balls I hit doing that were the best I hit all session! If it warms up as forecasted tomorrow, I might have to trudge out and hit a few more.

Nice work, JMann62. Sounds like you found a little something positive to take with you next time.

Dang cold here today (28* F). Weather not looking much better for at least a week.

Tonight I started out by taking short practice swings and then hitting about 30 balls with the exercise ball between my legs. Point there is to focus on the turn and not on the sway. Basically staying centered and rotating. After I was feeling good there, I did a couple other short swing drills before I went to full iron swings for about 30 minutes.

Still not sure what the deal is, but I cannot generate the same power, rotation, swingpath, or really anything with a driver in my hands. Not in comparison to where I feel I am with the irons at least. It's a bit frustrating, but we never ended up having time to work on it in my last lesson. For now, I'll deal with mediocrity there I guess. Hopefully I'll have made progress on the iron swing enough that he feels the need to give me some driver help at my lesson next week. Not a huge hurry, but I don't like the big divide in ability I'm seeing between driver and basically everything else. I'll be happy with the good progress I've seen for now and plan to work hard on whatever it is that he has me working on when I start in on the big stick.

I was back at the range today. A little wooried Iwhat see what I saw yesterday. Warmed up with the 7i, not the usual club I start with, and it started out ok. Nothing bad but I was not making completely solid contact. I hit about 30 balls and the shots were not much better. Went to the sand wedge, which is what I really want to work on, and the results were similar to the 7i. Just not hitting it solid. I believe it is my back. I think that it mught be that I have not swung the clubs in almost 2 1/2 months. My lower back was really tired after just about 10-15 swings. I will try again tomorrow, then rest through the weekend. I have other obligation Thursday thru Sunday, so no swing if any clubs.
I did make it back over to the chipping/ putting green for about an hour. The results were tremendiously better than yesterday, but still not anywhere near as good as Sunday. I hope I can find that swing again.

Good luck, afw. Sounds like you are easing back into it and things will pick up with more practice.

I got a pretty lengthy practice session in earlier in the day. It was bound to happen, but today was pretty blah to start. I ended up deciding not to fight it, so I just went and worked on two drills until I was hitting the ball solid regularly.

The biggest thing for me in terms of 'feel' at the moment is my back shoulder rotating down and forward on the downswing. At least that's what I think I'm feeling. The thing is, when I'm hitting the ball well, it's just a split second move that comes together rather than some laborious and slow thing.

Drills I worked on were the same ones. Stability ball between the legs and core swings and using the medicine ball as an impact bag.

Second one is sort of like this. Just a little move.

I've been working on fundamentals and contact lately. Indoor practice hitting into a net tonight, and I think a couple things are really clicking.

Focus has been on stance and address primarily, with work on weight shift. Looking at video showed me that things this has helped improve were obviously balance, but also that my swing plane just sort of fell in line on its own. Also, my back swing rotation is much better, with bracing against my right leg and no trouble getting to/near parallel at the top. But I did notice that on my downswing it looked like at impact my body position was nearly identical to address. That was surely robbing power and contributing to blocked shots. I still felt like a lot of my swing was with my arms.

Once I realized I was doing some of those things right, and most importantly was able to get them out of my head, I decided to work on initiating the downswing by firing my lower body so that I could use the coil. This is where the click happened tonight. Contact felt much better, maybe even crisp.

I like to hear that, SharkHat. Keep up the good work dude.

I was out with AFW yesterday getting some range time in. For not playing in a while I was pleased with 90% of my shots. I am only working on my swing right now and not my short game. I will work on that in a few weeks. Just need to get back to the swing I had last summer and hope I have it all together by the outing!

Good to hear you got out there tbd.

I was out with AFW yesterday getting some range time in. For not playing in a while I was pleased with 90% of my shots. I am only working on my swing right now and not my short game. I will work on that in a few weeks. Just need to get back to the swing I had last summer and hope I have it all together by the outing!
Get R Done!

I practice for about 90 minutes. Hit balls for an hour of that and then I went down putted for 30. Felt pretty good tonight. Better than last night from the start and to the finish.

I went to the range today, and hit about 200 balls. I am trying to work on coming from the inside, and starting the down swing with the lower body. I am making some progress with my swing by coming from the inside, but I am still struggling getting the downswing started with the lower body. It feels so weird which it should, but I can not seem to make any progress with it.

Spent about 2 and half working on putting. Worked on a couple of different things. I'm 100% to committed the left hand low putting at this point. Worked on alignment, getting the ball started on the correct line using a lazer through the center of hole and worked on keeping my left elbow from pulling in. Took a towel and trapped it between my elbow and my side to keep my elbow from pulling in and pulling the clubhead off line. Made some great strides today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back