The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still working on the putting. I like it!

Pretty much every night. Last night was the first night in a week I didn't hit a putt.

Pretty much every night. Last night was the first night in a week I didn't hit a putt.

Good for you man. Are you still going left hand low?

Good for you man. Are you still going left hand low?

Oh yeah, 100% commited. No turning back. And it looks like my Si2 will be staying in the bag. I just enough arc that the toe hang of the Si2 really seems to square up quite nicely. I've tried rolling my FGP and it just doesn't seem to the fit my stroke as well. I'm still thinking about swapping the grip and putting a SS Slim on it and seeing how I like it, but right now I'm going to stick with the Si2.

Right on man. I probably need to fit some more time in for some putting practice every week, but I only have so much time.

The Si2 is basically the same as the X2 I've been using and it'll be my main putter this year. I'll probably still toss the Tycoon in the bag at times, but the 2 shape fits my eye and stroke perfectly.

Right on man. I probably need to fit some more time in for some putting practice every week, but I only have so much time.

The Si2 is basically the same as the X2 I've been using and it'll be my main putter this year. I'll probably still toss the Tycoon in the bag at times, but the 2 shape fits my eye and stroke perfectly.

Its hard to find time sometimes, I'm a little lucky in that my G/F usually gets home after me, so I roll'em before she gets home or if theres a show on she wants to watch, I'll roll'em them. On my days off through the week, (retail job means weekends at work) is when I put in the heavy work, 2 to 4 hours at time.

I really liked that X-series insert when I rolled it at Ohio Tour Van stop. I've been keeping my eye open for one to turn up somewhere..

Man, I love that insert. It's a firm and gives a little more click than the real softies. Not to mention that the finish is ridiculous.

I don't get to go out as much as I want so I just swing over and over in the yard. Is that totally useless without seeing the result of the swing? Or can I actually get something accomplished making dry swings in the yard?

I don't get to go out as much as I want so I just swing over and over in the yard. Is that totally useless without seeing the result of the swing? Or can I actually get something accomplished making dry swings in the yard?

I had a couple drills that I did that involve swinging without a ball. One is what my teacher calls a core swing and is mainly used to get me used to the feeling of rotating by body instead of tossing my hands at the ball. Just back and forth over and over and over again. The other one is similar to an impact bag drill. Both are useful to me, but I need to hit balls too.

45 minutes of practice last night. Hit some irons, but really wanted to keep working on the driver swing. It was pretty good, though it took me a bit to get where I wanted. Just going to keep pounding it in my head and maybe it will become a little more natural like the iron swing seems to be doing. I've been doing some exercises/stretches/whatever over the last couple days as well. One of them involves sitting in a chair, so it's right up my alley. Mainly to help my upper body learn to move without my lower body. It's effing cold here.

Rolled another 30 minutes worth of putts last night. One thing that I'm noticing that is getting better is my alignment and squareness to the target line is almost perfect without aid. I feel I'm doing a much better job of getting aligned to the target then I did before. I always had a tendency to set up open with my feet, and then try and square my shoulders up, not always consistent. But now I'm doing a much better job of getting my feet and shoulders squared up to the target line.

I too plan on putting this weekend. Pretty much all I can do. However, I make take a ride to a heated range tomorrow that is about 30 minutes from my house if I have time. Hopefully.

Do it, Tim!

I went to the range last night for another 2 hour practice session. I only worked on full swing wedges the entire time. That is one of the worst shots in the bag. Once I get below aP wedge, all kinds of weird things happen. But, I believe all that is behind me now. The last 3 sessions have been devoted to wedge work and I believe it is finally coming together. I was able to hit the 46, 53, 54, 56, and the 58 very well last night. Just for clarification, the 46 and 54 are the P & S wedges from my iron set. The 53 & 56 are my original Cleveland 588s and the 58 is one I got at Jim Mcleans a couple of years ago. The 56 has a KBS Tour shaft, which I was testing for myself and the 53 has the dry tac grip on it that I wanted to test.
The results of my swing are looking very good, but I have no clue as to the distance I am getting from them. The range had no markings, just flags out in a field. I plan on getting on the course soon to start checking yardages. The only problem I had last night was the practice green was too crowded to put on. I had to bypass that lay night. That was my only issue.

Good to see your prep for the TX invite afwcardinal!

What issues do you have with full swing wedges, afw?

I think I'm going to try to get 9 holes in after school today. Not trying to score, but working on making my swing a bit longer while still hitting it solid. Trying to add some distance as that has been lacking from my game lately.

I went to the range last night for another 2 hour practice session. I only worked on full swing wedges the entire time. That is one of the worst shots in the bag. Once I get below aP wedge, all kinds of weird things happen. But, I believe all that is behind me now. The last 3 sessions have been devoted to wedge work and I believe it is finally coming together. I was able to hit the 46, 53, 54, 56, and the 58 very well last night. Just for clarification, the 46 and 54 are the P & S wedges from my iron set. The 53 & 56 are my original Cleveland 588s and the 58 is one I got at Jim Mcleans a couple of years ago. The 56 has a KBS Tour shaft, which I was testing for myself and the 53 has the dry tac grip on it that I wanted to test.
The results of my swing are looking very good, but I have no clue as to the distance I am getting from them. The range had no markings, just flags out in a field. I plan on getting on the course soon to start checking yardages. The only problem I had last night was the practice green was too crowded to put on. I had to bypass that lay night. That was my only issue.

Where are you practicing?

Willow Springs golf course over in Haslet.

I have been practicing on my new BirdieBall indoor putting green. I like the results so far, feeling a much better rhythm to my putting stroke. Working primarily on 3', 5' and 7' putts. To freaking cold here to go out for any extended range time, though I need to get out as we have the first club tournament in 2 weeks time. I have been swinging the Momentus 7i in the office every day, working on setting my back swing and rotating all the way through the swing.

What issues do you have with full swing wedges, afw?

My right hand was way to weak on the grip. That has been an issue for a while, yet I never thought or did anything about it. Now that I have strengthened my grip, no problems at all. I just need to get on the course and check distances.
It also made me look at the clubs I have and I realized that I have a big gap in my wedges. I go from 46 to 53/54. That is to big of a gap. No wonder I had an issue with abutting below the P wedge.

It was nice to get on a launch monitor today and see that the drills I have been doing over the winter seem to be working.

It was nice to get on a launch monitor today and see that the drills I have been doing over the winter seem to be working.
AWESOME! We're holed up for a long time in the winter, it's great to hear you're doing some work on the game buddy. You are going to slay people this year!

I had a great lesson today, I am so excited after seeing what my ball will do after a good swing and solid contact. I'm tired of playing the got it and lose it again deal with my iron game. Very excited to keep working hard on my game for a while and seeing how things are coming along at the THP Invitational in March.

AWESOME! We're holed up for a long time in the winter, it's great to hear you're doing some work on the game buddy. You are going to slay people this year!

I had a great lesson today, I am so excited after seeing what my ball will do after a good swing and solid contact. I'm tired of playing the got it and lose it again deal with my iron game. Very excited to keep working hard on my game for a while and seeing how things are coming along at the THP Invitational in March.

I'm right there with you P4B. I'm so glad that I finally swallowed my pride and asked for lessons.

It's always fun to see a little post-lesson high. Nice work, Jake!

Howzat, what have you been doing that is paying off for you?

We are going to eat some faces Jake. If only it would warm up 100* so we could hit the course.

It's always fun to see a little post-lesson high. Nice work, Jake!

Howzat, what have you been doing that is paying off for you?

Just getting back to basics. I have been using the Orange Whip and working on my swing mechanics. From nowhere last year a bad habit lead to an OTT swing and flipping the club thorugh impact. I have been working on my stance and weight shift as well but with not place to actually hit balls I had no idea if any of the work I was doing would help. Get on the launch monitor today and to see nice baby draws and consistant distance has me smiling from ear to ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back