NEWS The USGA Distance Insights Project

It's all about exponential decline and percentages, folks. Swing speed is the average player's friend in this case.

Of course, we will know more once the report is released.

God I wish I played on fairways that did that. I'm usually getting 75-100cm of roll.
Well you Floridians have to rely on all carry .... drives that back up in the fairway :D

**** the USGA.

Effed up the belly putter and they should do bifurcation with pros and regular Joes, but they hate the general golfing population.

Grow the game my ass

They didn't distinguish themselves with the 2010 groove rules either.
Disagree with bifurcation, though.
The rules and the courses should be made for recreational players, and if the elite players break sixty, who cares?
Certainly not I.

What? You don't like fairways hard as a rock that give you 75 - 100 yards of roll? :eek:
I'd still only get 15, but that's better than tee shots spinning back.

If they come out and say hey, it can't be any longer than it is now, then it's not as big of a deal. If they start saying we need to roll anything back, that's ridiculous. I mean granted I don't think the majority of golfers are going to do a darn thing about it.

Report will be out later today, but there this was sent out by Mike Johnson just now.

If this occurs, and they roll back product, it will shatter my perspective of the game.

There is only one place this is even sort of a problem, and it's not anywhere that I play.

There is a huge gap in what is impacting the professional world of golf vs the average player's world of golf. In many ways, the problems are opposite. It will be interesting to see which thing the USGA attempts to fix with their "needs to be addressed". I can tell you I hit the ball farther than 9o% of my league which has 300 members. None of them are complaining that the course is to short because of all the new technology. None of them are overwhelming courses with 330 yard drives. For them, a good portion of them play to far back on the tees which drives incredibly slow play and disheartened scoring. That's the biggest issue our small little league deals with. Driving par 4's isn't an issue.

The ball sure ain't going to far for me! Another reason I am not longer a member of the USGA.

Final report today

distance.jpg

This is the best time for a rollback, if that is what is recommended. We have the technology to control almost any aspect of design, including the use of artificial intelligence, to minimize the impact on the average golfer.

The distance report will come out showing a decrease this year. That is why it is late. They wanted to run the numbers again because they are not fitting their agenda.

Report will be out later today, but there this was sent out by Mike Johnson just now.

Here we go, roll back the ball is coming.

If this occurs, and they roll back product, it will shatter my perspective of the game.

There is only one place this is even sort of a problem, and it's not anywhere that I play.

Golf definitely needs a rival to the USGA as a sanctioning body.
They care too much about elite golf and not enough about recreational golf.
And that impacts how recreational and social players should care about them.

Given the number of scrapers vs. elite players at our club, I can see us aligning with a new sanctioning body easily.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This is going to be a total cluster f**k!

Put the clubs and the balls aside - today's PGA pros are athletes - they are getting bigger, faster and stronger just like athletes are in every other sport out there.

I use to be a huge USGA supporter but have completely done a 180. They like to be the story instead of making the game better for everyone.

I'm really looking forward to 250 yard drives on TV.

Just remember...

Golf definitely needs a rival to the USGA as a sanctioning body.
They care too much about elite golf and not enough about recreational golf.
And that impacts how recreational and social players should care about them.

Given the number of scrapers vs. elite players at our club, I can see us aligning with a new sanctioning body easily.

Couldn't they allow recreational golfers to use all this new tech but the pros to use simplified clubs, cutting back some distance and relying on accuracy, good swings, etc

I mean its a fantasy world but almost have to handicap the pros but allow the average joe to get better

Why is the USGA worried about the entertainment value that is provided by the Pros hitting long bombs?

If they are going to rollback the ball, then it needs to be for only the higher levels of tournament play. To do it to the average Joe would be pretty disheartening.

It's all about exponential decline and percentages, folks. Swing speed is the average player's friend in this case.

Of course, we will know more once the report is released.

Because some blogger (not you) says so? Penalizing amateur golfers that are not hitting it too far now, because of a select few is absurd.
You said yourself, people are playing from too far...So the solution is to make the ball go shorter to force them to move up? That is the single dumbest idea I have heard regarding rules and golf absolutely ever. I still love you though.

This is the best time for a rollback, if that is what is recommended. We have the technology to control almost any aspect of design, including the use of artificial intelligence, to minimize the impact on the average golfer.

So in other words, you are 100% for, an organization creating rules only because the top tiniest percentage are impacted and everybody else has the potential to be penalized? Groove rule, belly putter, the list is endless of knee jerk reactions by an organization that clearly doesn't travel and see where and how golfers play the game.

The USGA needs to stop making rules because of the pros. Can you imagine if there were associations out there making rules for all basketball based on what a super-human can do in their sport? Where would the 3 point line be for HS and college if they based it on Trae Young? How high would the hoop be for everyone if they looked at the elite in the slam dunk competition?

While I am not really a fan of Geoff Shackleford. I do read his blog as sort of a see it from the other side kinda thing.

Here are his well known and unchanged opinions.

This is completely ridiculous. If they say we need a rollback then what? All the people who spend thousands of $$ on new equipment are screwed if they want to be legal? Eff the USGA

Back