THP Range Test Results - Ball Flight

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
100 golfers tested at the range (over a short period) on FlightScope X2 Elite, so we know the accuracy is there.
The goal was to find out launch angle and peak height of their drives

stats-customerservices-L.jpg

74 of them hit the ball too low

Our goal was easy. Test to find out perceived ball flight vs what is actually happening while out on the range and using the THP FlightScope to track the data for the best reliability.

Of those 74 golfers, here is the data.
Average launch angle - 8.24 degees
Average peak height - 20.34 yards

Obviously other factors play a roll in the numbers as a whole. Depending on speed, spin and numerous other items we will be breaking down fully in the THP Test Center.

While this will always come down to swing dynamic, for some of these golfers, it was as easy to fix as making some adjustments on their driver or letting them try a different club. We had some very interesting extremes and some cool success stories with small tweaks to their current clubs that we will share throughout as well.

A lot more coming on this very soon, including analyzing the numbers more in depth as well as what golfers can do to find out their own flight and how one can go about making sure they are not leaving yards on the table.

Last edited:
Looking forward to more info (especially numbers), hard to believe since EVERYONE hits the ball too high....maybe thats just THPERS afterall :)

Wow...Good stuff JB, I wasn't suprised by the Too Low result, but was actually shocked to see the number, I would have guessed more like 10 or 11. Question, did you throw out topped or shanked shots, as it seems they would obviously bring the number down.

• Admin
Wow...Good stuff JB, I wasn't suprised by the Too Low result, but was actually shocked to see the number, I would have guessed more like 10 or 11. Question, did you throw out topped or shanked shots, as it seems they would obviously bring the number down.

A topped ball was absolutely removed from the equation.
As was a chunked ball in a different test.

Didn't expect to see 75% hitting it too low......things like this make me realize I really need to do something better than the "eye" test.

I love the new focus on hard data. Information to the people. Can't wait for Club Clash.

That is very interesting. Looking forward to more details. Sounds like a lot of yards are being left behind.

Not surprised at all. Most of the time when I hear "I hit the ball too high," especially by a higher HC, I just laugh to myself. Great stuff JB!

That's pretty interesting.

I'm guessing I'd have been an outlier if my initial swings with the D200/Tour Blue combo at the Legacy would have been part of the sample.

Very interesting to see how low that launch angle is. I'm far from someone who knows the ins and outs of launch data, but even I know that's a low angle that'll rob most golfers of overall distance. Definitely looking forward to more followup info.

Very cool. I like the thought of "perceived" vs "reality" ! Every time I "think" I hit a mid launch or high launch shot, I always wonder if what I "think" is mid-high is actually too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of surprising. You would think that since a great number of golfers fight a slice that the launch angles would be higher than that. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Oh, this is fun - I'm excited to see the rest of the data from the Flightscope as it comes out.

All it takes is a trip to a PGA (or even LPGA) tournament to see that most people don't hit the ball as high as they think they do. Even so, I'm surprised at the 8.4 degree launch angle average. Is that because a lot of people hit down on the ball with driver?

Interesting stuff. Surprised more by the avg height vice launch angle. Looking forward to seeing more and hopefully being a part of the stats.

Can't say I'm super surprised people hit it too low.

THP Range Test Results - Ball Flight

Looking forward to seeing more data. I definitely think I'm part of that 75%

Curious JB - could this be broken down by HC level ? I'd be curious to see the numbers between lower ( single digits ) and higher HC's. I would think the lower HC have higher flights - but you never know with numbers...

That is staggering that their launch was that low and that it was ok with them. I am interested to hear the success stories. I am sure this opened quite a few eyes.

Not surprising at all, I tend to launch the ball too low, and I can't tell you how often I get told I have a high ball flight, or even that my flight is too high.

The funny thing I've noticed, is when playing with the average mid capper, the most '' that was pounded '' remarks I get are on the ones I launch too low. Yet when I play with a better golfer, like Freddie last week. They always remark on the ones that I get a good launch on, which of course tend to be my longest drives.

The vast majority of the golfing population just has no idea how high is right, and how high is too much.

The only thing that surprised me is the low overall ball flight, that seems really low, in the past it seemed that most who launched low also spun quite a bit bringing their ball flights to a decent level. Do you think the current chase od low spin drivers impacted that or has it always been that way.

That's a lot of yards being left behind!

My natural flight is low and I've been trying for years to get the ball higher. Playing driver at 14* is a good start, but somehow I still launch around 10*.

That 74 were too low doesn't surprise me, but 8.24*? Wow? Did any of the remaining 26 hit it too high? Also what was the cutoff launch angle considered to be too low, just right, etc...?

Last edited:
That 74 were too low doesn't surprise me, but 8.24*? Wow? I'm assuming 8.24* was just for the subset hitting it too low, right? Did any of the remaining 26 hit it too high? Also what was the cutoff launch angle considered to be too low, just right, etc...?

Yes, of the 26 remaining, some hit it too high without a doubt.

Wow that's a huge number. I look forward to hearing more.

Back