THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Figured I would try to give the captains a break from having to think of a question for today and will give it a shot.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), and your shots look like this:

https://golfchannel-a.akamaihd.net/ramp/376/374/12tipsxmas_01_tgl15015_breed_flop.jpg

You are hitting the shot for your team, and have to hit first, before your opponent. Your opponent seems to be a decent chipper, not great, but not bad.
For the purpose of this question, forget about your partner's opinion (obviously I hope you wouldnt in real life):

Do you try to pull off the amazing shot and get it within a few feet? Knowing if you leave it short you dump it in the bunker and likely lose?

Do you play it a little safer and try to hit a good shot/rather than great, and give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you hit it way past the pin towards the back of the green, making sure you are absolutely on the green even if its a 30 footer?

Ok Updated the original question. Should be iron-clad now.

Fun question.

I practice this one quite a bit. I have a pretty good feel for my success rate.

I would play high floater with the wedge open a bit, use the bounce. Control the roll out with angle of descent. If I pick it thin it will still carry the bunker and stay on the green. Maybe not be a close as a low spinner but... safer.

If I played it as a low spinner and did not catch it solid it will probably end up in the bunker or over the green. It I catch it perfect it would be a nice and pretty to look at.

I would not want to leave my partner in the bunker or over the green. Plus once that ball is on the green in a decent spot the opponent is going feel the need to get tighter than Team Michigan most times.

Can't wait!!!

I had envisioned a much more difficult situation. This one... I go right after. If I left my partner with more than an 8' putt it would be below average outcome. Man.. This is fun.
I'm not very good with computers, so dont know how to post the pic directly into my post. But this is the type of shot I'm imagining. To the front pin on the green there. To get it really close you have to pull off an A or A+ shot. Give me the 10-15 footer all day rather than trying to land it on the fringe/barely on the green and get a kick-in.

https://golfchannel-a.akamaihd.net/ramp/376/374/12tipsxmas_01_tgl15015_breed_flop.jpg

Fun question.

I practice this one quite a bit. I have a pretty good feel for my success rate.

I would play high floater with the wedge open a bit, use the bounce. Control the roll out with angle of descent. If I pick it thin it will still carry the bunker and stay on the green. Maybe not be a close as a low spinner but... safer.

If I played it as a low spinner and did not catch it solid it will probably end up in the bunker or over the green. It I catch it perfect it would be a nice and pretty to look at.

I would not want to leave my partner in the bunker or over the green. Plus once that ball is on the green in a decent spot the opponent is going feel the need to get tighter than Team Michigan most times.

Can't wait!!!

I agree with this. I guess it would depend on the lie as well. assuming a decent lie, I'm pitching it up nice & high & soft & if it rolls out too much that's OK.

I'm good out of bunkers, so my partner can go for the big shot all day. But I'm going for about 10 feet past the flag and hoping for some spin back.

Since this is the Internet, my partner will have a 5 footer for birdie to seal the match.

In real life, I'm going to take the safe shot in this situation and rely on putting from my partner. Hey, we might even get a pop on the hole depending on the situation. We are amateurs and good things don't happen when you are doing something out of your comfort zone. Play the smart shot, take the 1/2 point at worst.

Since this is the Internet, my partner will have a 5 footer for birdie to seal the match.

In real life, I'm going to take the safe shot in this situation and rely on putting from my partner. Hey, we might even get a pop on the hole depending on the situation. We are amateurs and good things don't happen when you are doing something out of your comfort zone. Play the smart shot, take the 1/2 point at worst.

On the internet, our partner doesn't even have to putt. Its a kick in.

I'm not very good with computers, so dont know how to post the pic directly into my post. But this is the type of shot I'm imagining. To the front pin on the green there. To get it really close you have to pull off an A or A+ shot. Give me the 10-15 footer all day rather than trying to land it on the fringe/barely on the green and get a kick-in.

I'm going at the pin if it's this shot.

Ya, that's what I meant to say... I'm going right at it, and putting it in the hole for the win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Internet, a 5 footer is a kick in!

Really a tough situation but I'm going to give my team the best chance to win by doing something I'm comfortable with.

I had envisioned a much more difficult situation. This one... I go right after. If I left my partner with more than an 8' putt it would be below average outcome. Man.. This is fun.

Just the first image I found from a simple google search. Maybe its a touch harder. I got less push back than this in law school. Tough crowd in here. But I can take it.

Agree, play the safe/higher percentage shot to give your partner a better look.

Hey guys I wanted to check in and say good luck to all the Michigan hopefuls on Monday. I will be on vacation for the next week starting in about 2 hrs and not sure how much I will be able to check in. I needed to get out of this freezing weather to get some R & R and some freaking sunshine!! I hope to comeback completely refreshed and ready to play some golf!! Hopefully I can check in here and there and see who will be joining me on Team Michigan!

Bon Voyage!

Hey guys I wanted to check in and say good luck to all the Michigan hopefuls on Monday. I will be on vacation for the next week starting in about 2 hrs and not sure how much I will be able to check in. I needed to get out of this freezing weather to get some R & R and some freaking sunshine!! I hope to comeback completely refreshed and ready to play some golf!! Hopefully I can check in here and there and see who will be joining me on Team Michigan!

Bon Voyage!

Have fun Captain, make sure you bring the sunblock.

Bon Voyage!

Have a blast. Seriously jealous.

I got less push back than this in law school. Tough crowd in here. But I can take it.

HAHAHAHHA... Laws change.. Golfers don't!!! I loved the question. Keep them coming!!

Sorry Captain but I work for a tax company and I'm in charge of efiling all the tax returns (usually about 5000 returns) so I have no time to eat or sleep let alone contribute to this thread so I'll just remove myself from this event cause I'm booked until April 18th. Good luck to Team Ohio picks and same to the Michigan team but I do plan on showing up to witness this event at Boulder Creek....

Sorry Captain but I work for a tax company and I'm in charge of efiling all the tax returns (usually about 5000 returns) so I have no time to eat or sleep let alone contribute to this thread so I'll just remove myself from this event cause I'm booked until April 18th. Good luck to Team Ohio picks and same to the Michigan team but I do plan on showing up to witness this event at Boulder Creek....

You shouldnt remove yourself from the event.
Signup is Monday and if you want to play in it, sign up and see where fate leaves it.

If it's me I'm going for pin. This is one of my better shots in the bag and if I hit at the pin, I'm likely going to roll past and at worst leave a 15 footer or so

Figured I would try to give the captains a break from having to think of a question for today and will give it a shot.

Its the final hole of your match, in alternate shot, and you are all tied up on #18 at Boulder Creek. You and your opponent are right in the same spot hitting your 3rd shots to the green (its a par 5), and your shots look like this:

You are hitting the shot for your team, and have to hit first, before your opponent. Your opponent seems to be a decent chipper, not great, but not bad.
For the purpose of this question, forget about your partner's opinion (obviously I hope you wouldnt in real life):

Do you try to pull off the amazing shot and get it within a few feet? Knowing if you leave it short you dump it in the bunker and likely lose?

Do you play it a little safer and try to hit a good shot/rather than great, and give yourself a 10-15 footer past the pin, saying we have a good chance to make the putt, but I dont have to be quite as precise?

Do you hit it way past the pin towards the back of the green, making sure you are absolutely on the green even if its a 30 footer?

Personally I would try to hit right before the pin and hope for little to no roll and leave a very doable putt. There seems to be a good amount of first cut so dont think I would be that worried about making it over the bunker.

Depends on how my short game is that day.

But typically I'm going for the pin or just past it.

I am giving myself a 3-4 yard margin for error on the flop over the bunker, in most cases you can stop the ball next to the pin with that shot unless it is running away and the pin is cut like 3 from the edge.

If Phil is your partner just flub it in the bunker. Better odds of him making that than a putt. We all know who the putter in that family is

If Phil is your partner just flub it in the bunker. Better odds of him making that than a putt. We all know who the putter in that family is

Well played. Only because I am the Swiss Magician out of green side bunkers

Well played. Only because I am the Swiss Magician out of green side bunkers

You did get lessons from Roger Cleveland TWICE!

Back