THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

ATTENTION MICHIGAN HOPEFULS!

Not to piggyback on Mikes questions but I too have some questions I need Michigan Hopefuls to answer! Please send me a PM and you can copy in this thread as well if you wish. Please be honest with your answers, I realize this is the internet, but it will only help me build the best team I can.

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time?

2. What do you do best on the golf course?

3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course?

4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past?

5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe?

6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy?

7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)?

I'll give you my answers as a start.

1. My hdcp last year was around 9.0 and it does travel. I just went to check for accuracy and apparently I need to renew my membership. Oops.

2. I am average or maybe slightly above average off the tee, but I think the strength of my game is my iron play.

3. While my short game had gotten a little better last year, it's no secret, anyone who has played with me knows I am not a good putter of the ball.

4. Yes I have played competitive golf. I play hdcp'd team stroke play once a week in my golf league and I played in the 2014 Grandaddy.

5. I am the type of player who likes to go for it more often than not but I can also play safe if required. In team scrambles or outings I will often go last as I can "usually" pull a shot even when everyone else has failed.

6. I like to think I am a good mixture of both social and serious, I also don't mind an adult beverage on the course.

7. Obviously as Captain I will be making the time to practice and and try to get the team together a couple times before June.

Love the Announcement!
I have a bunch of friends on Both sides of the state line, and I love that they will be welcome to support the event!

Yes.
I have friends on BOTH sides...:act-up:

I do have a couple questions about the course...

What would you say makes the average round last over 5 hours?
Does elevation play a major role in play?
What is the best/ worst feature of the course?

Since Jspangs poked at it, I do think your first comment should be listed under a new thread called "unicorns and rainbows...where my friends live."

The course is hilly. Not stupid hilly...but very rolling. Elevation changes play into more than half the holes. I think the play is slow primarily due to people not knowing the course.

Best feature? Very scenic....

Worst feature? Clubhouse...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the Announcement!
I have a bunch of friends on Both sides of the state line, and I love that they will be welcome to support the event!

Yes.
I have friends on BOTH sides...:act-up:

I do have a couple questions about the course...

What would you say makes the average round last over 5 hours?
Does elevation play a major role in play?
What is the best/ worst feature of the course?

IMO, people playing the wrong tees causes the 5 hour rounds, Ive seen it first hand both times we played there.
Id say elevation plays a good role in play, not anything too crazy but a few holes you have to be aware of it.
BEst feature is just the layout. No 2 holes are alike and makes you think about each shot...not sure there is a downside

THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

ATTENTION MICHIGAN HOPEFULS!

Not to piggyback on Mikes questions but I too have some questions I need Michigan Hopefuls to answer! Please send me a PM and you can copy in this thread as well if you wish. Please be honest with your answers, I realize this is the internet, but it will only help me build the best team I can.

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time?

2. What do you do best on the golf course?

3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course?

4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past?

5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe?

6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy?

7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)?

I'll give you my answers as a start.

1. My hdcp last year was around 9.0 and it does travel. I just went to check for accuracy and apparently I need to renew my membership. Oops.

2. I am average or maybe slightly above average off the tee, but I think the strength of my game is my iron play.

3. While my short game had gotten a little better last year, it's no secret, anyone who has played with me knows I am not a good putter of the ball.

4. Yes I have played competitive golf. I play hdcp'd team stroke play once a week in my golf league and I played in the 2014 Grandaddy.

5. I am the type of player who likes to go for it more often than not but I can also play safe if required. In team scrambles or outings I will often go last as I can "usually" pull a shot even when everyone else has failed.

6. I like to think I am a good mixture of both social and serious, I also don't mind an adult beverage on the course.

7. Obviously as Captain I will be making the time to practice and and try to get the team together a couple times before June.

1. My HCP was sub 10 at the end of last year, I don't remember where it ended up but I remember I was incredibly happy to get to single digits. It will probably be higher by match time as I don't think I'll get the rounds in this spring, I was getting last year. And I'd say it travels, as I spend more time out of the state, than I do in the state of MI.

2. I'm normally always in play. Last year in the OH/MI outing I went 28/42 fwys hit, with a round of 12/14 at eagle crest, and only one ball OB in 3 rounds.

3. I typically struggle with distance from the hole. I don't leave myself with a lot of good birdie opportunities.

4.I have, not a ton of competitive golf but a couple rounds a year.

5. I manage the golf course. I have no problems going for it, if the bail out its terrible. But for the most part I'm a safe golfer that guards against the big number.

6. I'm very social, golf is fun for me, if I can't have fun out there, there's no point in me being out there.

7. Definitely willing to meetup barring the work schedule allows it. But I have no problems driving 2 hours for a round of golf as I regularly do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great questions Captain!

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time? I didn't have an official handicap (but will this year) , I would guess that my average score is mid 90's

2. What do you do best on the golf course? I think my short game is decent, Wedges and Putting

3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course? Want me to list them all? LOL. Distance & Blow up holes. I do not hit the ball a long way, but am learning to manage the course better so that I stay away from the big #'s.

4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past? I got a taste in the 2014 Grandaddy and LOVED it! It provided me motivation to improve my game, and the way I played out in California I couldn't be more proud of! I LOVE match play.

5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe? I am learning to stay away from the HERO shot, and playing to my strengths, so Id say I lean toward playing it safe.

6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy? I am serious.... and a horrible Liar. I like to have a great time on the course! I socialize.

7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)? Absolutely! I don't mind putting some miles on to meet up with friends, play some golf, and prepare for the event!

updated list of those that have replied to my questions:

PhillyV
Cbaker2882
Bullfrog
Mmaynard11
Gunner
Grins
Ntanygd760
Pinslayer216
The Milk Man
Misike
Certifiable
Robozeo
Canadan
Robman7

And in case you missed it, below are the questions again:

1. What is your current index?
2. What is your goal index wise by the time of the event?
3. What do you consider are your strengths of your golf game?
4. What are your weaknesses that you need to improve?
5. What kind of player are you teammate wise when playing alongside a fellow teammate?
6. What is your plan to help assure your team is victorious in June?
7. Why do you want to be apart of this team?
8. Why should I pick you?

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time? Finished at 2.0 but I tend to play the same course for my work league (and it's super short and easy). My best estimate for traveling handicap would be 4.5.

2. What do you do best on the golf course? What I don't do best is find the fairway. I am one heck of a scrambler though...shot-shaping is my friend.

3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course? Find fairways...and I like water hazards.

4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past? Yes, played 4 years high school and 2 years college.

5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe? Mixed bag. Depends on where the match is and how lucky I'm feeling.

6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy? Depends on seriousness of match.

7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)? Of course.

Awesome announcement on the night before and the range will be open. Will just make it that much better. Would be cool if there is room after as well and the last match goes to 18 with the event tied and someone has a 90 foot putt to win with everyone watching.

Announcement

The 2016 THP Program of #ChangeTheGame encompasses a lot of variables, but one of the items that we are enjoying most is inclusive vs exclusive and what it can mean to newcomers. With that said, there is something unique coming to these events that could make it a lot of fun as well.

While only 16 participants will be playing in the event, THP knows that the day of reckoning has a lot of supports from each region, so we are going to open this up for support, not just online but in person. The meet and greet the night before, will be open to any Albatross Club Members from each region to come on out, enjoy the company of other THPers and watch the matches get setup. The range before the round will be open to supporters of each region to come out, offer some words of encouragement and watch the guys prepare for battle.

The dinner post event is also a possibility, however that will be completely dependent on space availability, and each region will have that announced at least a month in advance so plans can be arranged.

There is a lot at stake here, and we hope THPers enjoy the inclusion and are able to cheer their team on to victory.

This is fantastic!!!! What a great idea. Hopefully I'm at Boulder Creek regardless.

This is fantastic!!!! What a great idea. Hopefully I'm at Boulder Creek regardless.

I hope to see you there as well.
Should be a pretty decent gathering, hopefully support from both sides there.

I hope to see you there as well.
Should be a pretty decent gathering, hopefully support from both sides there.
S*** no! I kid, of course.

I see no reason not to make the trip up, even if my osu loathing butt is booed off the range hahaha!

Plus, I want to see just how much the Michigan group can grow by then! I know we've got a load of MI members.

1. What was your hdcp last year? If you did not keep one, what is your average score for 18 holes? Does it travel? Meaning do score pretty much the same everywhere or do you play the same course all the time? Last year league HC was 4.2 (at same course weekly) so when I add in all my other rounds it jumped up to around a 9. I would say I am pretty consistent, however I do have the occasional breakout round.

2. What do you do best on the golf course? I am VERY consistent off the tee. I am a bigger guy so I tend to be consistently long as well! (Stribs can attest to both of these points...)

3. What do you do you struggle with on the golf course? I would say my putting is either ON or is just so so.

4. Have you played competitive golf or match play in the past? Yes, played in leagues for many years. Also (because of my job) I get the opportunity to play a lot of tournament & outing rounds with a lot of big shooters. Let’s just say I haven't felt the "first tee jitters" in quite some time.

5. What kind of player are you? Do you like to go for it or play it safe? I tend to go for the shot if I think it's at all possible.

6. Do you like to socialize when you play or are you super serious golfer guy? I like to socialize and have fun. People have made comments to me in my league that they are so surprised at how calm I am when I make a bad shot. I do not get worked up or emotional... I am here to have fun and enjoy myself!

7. If selected are you willing to meetup a few times for team prep (may involve a little local'ish' travel)? Uh, YES!!! The more the better!

lol 4.2 to a 9. Must have an MWard injury

Is that real 2012BFT?
4.2 to a 9?

If the handicap is there to be "potential" and reached on average about 30% of the time, how does one more than double it? Im asking genuinely here, because I am really confused.

Is that real 2012BFT?
4.2 to a 9?

If the handicap is there to be "potential" and reached on average about 30% of the time, how does one more than double it? Im asking genuinely here, because I am really confused.
Jrod handicap system. Duh

or DNevs math

7 spots for OH, 14 people Ive heard back from, pretty good odds for getting to an event and winning a HOF tag

Is that real 2012BFT?
4.2 to a 9?

Home course vs non home course sounds like.

Home course vs non home course sounds like.

I get that, but they are all part of the handicap system and all rounds are input to keep a real handicap.
Then add the slope rating factor and how that equates into the system and that the system is about potential and I just have never seen that before.

I mistyped and It should have said an 8...

My league handicap is same course week after week, year after year... so I know all the tricks of the course.

The other rounds I enter are from all over the place. I get out for work a ton at clubs I have never played (and generally play from the tips while having a few drinks getting "entertained") These rounds depending on the course etc can have the variability. I prefer to not drink when I am having a serious round... but when out on business it isn't always the case (and can quickly alter my rounds)

Also, these handicaps are based on a league organizing golf site our league organizer uses... so I am not 100% on how accurate they are. I submit everything to him though. I DO plan on keeping an actual GAM HC this season though.

Ohio will glady accept his 4 and Stribs 2 for the event.

thanks

This is because of my 2 handicap. PhillyV would be a 3 or a 4 and Mikedean would be sub 10! LOL
Capture_zpsmx73lqoz.jpg

Back