Tigers' future in doubt?

Is that a legit interview? I could have sworn I read that he was swinging a club again. And that level of candor seems incredibly out of character for Tiger.

Hm, I took it at face value but you may be right. Unusual if the BBC get that wrong to be honest. Btw sorry for starting a tiger thread when there was one halfway down the page. We'll see how tiger is soon enough eh?

So this is a bit of a shame

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/34980250

seems having played golf from the age of 2 is finally catching up with the great man.

Not his biggest fan but to hear this is sad. Hope he finds a way back.

I think he is done and while I'm not a fan, you could not help to like him when he was coming up and then turned pro. I'm not going to throw any stones this time as we all live in glass house's, but I'd like to think I would have handled the fortune and fame better, but I'm sure living in his world has not been easy, but much of the pain was self inflicted.

If he is done, golf will survive.

Just watched it on GC. Nerve damage is a SOB. The outside of my left leg is permantley pins and needles from nerve damage from back problems and surgery. I just hope his damaged nerves are in a location where they are covered by Mylan. If not they might not ever heal..

Is that a legit interview? I could have sworn I read that he was swinging a club again. And that level of candor seems incredibly out of character for Tiger.

He said today he has not been and has no time table at all on when that will resume I believe.

Total wait and see if this last surgery is successful. If not maybe under the knife again. He did talk about what Vijay and DLIII have done after 40 but neither of those guys had injury worries like this. He's totally done for competing at US Opens and PGA's. If he can get healthy I think he can still contend at Augusta and The Open. But saying that Jacks record is totally safe now. I'd like to see Tiger get one more one day. Would have to feel like to us what Jack's win at Augusta in '86 felt like to my dad's generation. Everyone thought Jack was done at that point.

I think the running and weight lifting hurt Tiger's body more so than swinging golf clubs.

so sad to hear, but honestly, I think it's his time. He could still play but only the majors and I'm pretty sure he loses some of his exemptions soon?

so sad to hear, but honestly, I think it's his time. He could still play but only the majors and I'm pretty sure he loses some of his exemptions soon?

He'd lose only the US Open. Masters, British, and PGA have lifetime.

I'm sure the USGA would make special exemptions for him like Jack had.

Hope he's not done like others above I hope he can get at least one or two more and get back to being competitive

Well there is definitely not the pessimism and negativity on his website that pervades the linked article.

I'm sure the USGA would make special exemptions for him like Jack had.

Hope he's not done like others above I hope he can get at least one or two more and get back to being competitive

Who knows. He needs to get healthy, then get better in a way that doesn't mess himself up again.

The only part that was smart was not giving timeframes on when he expects to be doing anything. No rush, no expectations.

The British changed that didn't it? I thought Watson would have lost his exemption had it not been for his magical 2009 where he almost won it and they gave him five more years.

Sadly I don't think there's any doubt left in his future. I've held out hope much longer than I rationally should've, but it's over. Regardless of this article being real or not, it stinks.

Id imagine Tiger still has some fire and wants to be back out there and is probably planning accordingly but I feel he's just being a bit smarter about it this time. Instead of blowing so much smoke up peoples asses I think it's smarter to just say no timetable so the expectations are gone. I wont be surprised to see him give it another go but who knows where or when that will be.

The British changed that didn't it? I thought Watson would have lost his exemption had it not been for his magical 2009 where he almost won it and they gave him five more years.
I believe the Open is the age of 59. I could be wrong

At 59, yeah that's golf lifetime.

"Competitive lifetime" if that makes more sense.

The article is legit and GC aired it as well, since it was his presser from the Hero Challenge. I doubt he will play at all in 2016. If he ever returns, I suspect it will be a couple tournaments a year, more for sentimentality than anything else. I feel like his interest in course design is gaining steam and along with his injuries, the motivation to keep trying to get competitive again is dimming.

I think the running and weight lifting hurt Tiger's body more so than swinging golf clubs.

I'd argue that if he wasn't as fit as he generally was, as strong as he was, he would never have been able to sustain his swing for any period of time. He played for nearly a year with torn ligaments in his knee, something he would never have been able to do without a lot of muscle to stabilize his movement.

Don't get me wrong, I think the decision to play for 10 months with a busted up left knee back in 2007/08 started the real downward spiral by transferring so much of that energy to his lower back. I also think anyone less fit than Tiger, swinging the way he did in 2007, would have fallen apart like a house of cards. You can debate the wisdom of his decision to keep playing until the cows come home, but I'll maintain that it was his level of fitness that allowed him to do it.

Either way, I think it's good that he's finally just sort of accepting the reality of how long it might take to come back, if he ever really does. The vice-captaincy for the Ryder Cup is a good chance for him to embrace his post-competitive impact on golf. And a part of me kinda hopes he makes it back for the par-3 challenge at Augusta, even if he's just caddying for his kid or something.

My opinions on weight training lead me to believe it was the way he trained, not THAT he trained.
I'd argue that if he wasn't as fit as he generally was, as strong as he was, he would never have been able to sustain his swing for any period of time. He played for nearly a year with torn ligaments in his knee, something he would never have been able to do without a lot of muscle to stabilize his movement.

Don't get me wrong, I think the decision to play for 10 months with a busted up left knee back in 2007/08 started the real downward spiral by transferring so much of that energy to his lower back. I also think anyone less fit than Tiger, swinging the way he did in 2007, would have fallen apart like a house of cards. You can debate the wisdom of his decision to keep playing until the cows come home, but I'll maintain that it was his level of fitness that allowed him to do it.

Either way, I think it's good that he's finally just sort of accepting the reality of how long it might take to come back, if he ever really does. The vice-captaincy for the Ryder Cup is a good chance for him to embrace his post-competitive impact on golf. And a part of me kinda hopes he makes it back for the par-3 challenge at Augusta, even if he's just caddying for his kid or something.
I think 07-08 will not be remember as much as it should be in the world of sports. Tiger won the US Open on one leg.

Just watched an excerpt on gc for his hero presser. It sounds to me like he has accepted defeat in a way....

Also on Mike and Mike this morning they brought up Tiger, Kobe and Manning. Kobe and Manning will sort of get there "goodbye" season. Now with Tiger we are left to wonder will his fans get that?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Just watched an excerpt on gc for his hero presser. It sounds to me like he has accepted defeat in a way....

Also on Mike and Mike this morning they brought up Tiger, Kobe and Manning. Kobe and Manning will sort of get there "goodbye" season. Now with Tiger we are left to wonder will his fans get that?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I just watched the same spot on The GC. I feel he is ok if he doesn't come back but he will be back, just doesn't know when. He is listening to the experts instead of pushing the issue. He still feels he can win if he is prepared.

Back