Titleist 816 H1/H2 Review Thread

Hi there.

20161013_140536-L.jpg

20161013_140546-L.jpg

I think you're going to like that alot..just a hunch.

I'd hit that.
I have hit it, and again and again :D

I've played some more rounds with the H1. Loving it. More solid sound & feel at impact and higher ball flight than the 915. I am not really feeling extra forgiveness per se but it definitely does feel like an upgrade. The AD DI shaft improves the flight, feel and stability even more over the Rogue 85.

Just got my 816 H1 21 degree today and pit it against my 915hd. I was hitting both on the range so I do not have specific numbers. However based on what I was seeing much higher ball flight and the distance loss was not that significant. The H1 certainly does take some getting used to due the size but I sure enjoy how easy it is to get the ball up in the air. It is a fun club and will be in my bag going forward.

Just got my 816 H1 21 degree today and pit it against my 915hd. I was hitting both on the range so I do not have specific numbers. However based on what I was seeing much higher ball flight and the distance loss was not that significant. The H1 certainly does take some getting used to due the size but I sure enjoy how easy it is to get the ball up in the air. It is a fun club and will be in my bag going forward.
Love hearing this!

Good thoughts. I love the height I get with the h1. Haven't hit the 915 but I hit the h1 plenty long enough for what I'm looking for in that spot.

I'm getting used to having the H1 in the bag finally. It's earned a spot in the bag. Replacing the 2U which is huge.

I'm getting used to having the H1 in the bag finally. It's earned a spot in the bag. Replacing the 2U which is huge.
That's speaking volumes right there

Really pondering the H1! I need a new 24* hybrid that flies high and lands soft.

Strongly considering the D+ Red shaft. I know the Red is said to fly a little higher than the Blue. Can anyone comment on that set up? I do not want to face any ballooning issues.

I'm getting new 917 Driver and FW...I put the 24' H1 in the bag as well, and I'm here to tell you it's the straightest hybrid I've ever hit. Absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough good things about this club, super easy to hit, not too oversized, great feel and sound. I have it in the Diamana Red shaft as well. You will be VERY pleased with this club. I added 1' of loft, and I made it more upright - like all Titleist stuff, it's pure, and feels really really well made...

I'm getting new 917 Driver and FW...I put the 24' H1 in the bag as well, and I'm here to tell you it's the straightest hybrid I've ever hit. Absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough good things about this club, super easy to hit, not too oversized, great feel and sound. I have it in the Diamana Red shaft as well. You will be VERY pleased with this club. I added 1' of loft, and I made it more upright - like all Titleist stuff, it's pure, and feels really really well made...
I'm glad I'm not the only one that's not over the honeymoon period with this club. It's really just that damn good.

one of the last "old school" golfers to drop the 2 iron.....maybe some day in Dec I will drop the "ole Ben Hogan" 1415 putter as well....lol

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's not over the honeymoon period with this club. It's really just that damn good.

Its the Essie's hybrid I have ever hit and just goes straight. I played a round with a different hybo and while my swing was crappy like the weather I missed having this one

Its the Essie's hybrid I have ever hit and just goes straight. I played a round with a different hybo and while my swing was crappy like the weather I missed having this one

Add me to not over the honeymoon phase as well. Been playing this since May and it has consistently been the easiest club in my bag to hit. Like you've all said, it just goes straight and looks and sounds really good as well.

As others have said. This is the best hybrid I have ever hit. I went from not being able to hit a hybrid to save my life, to it being the best/favorite club in my bag.
Not sure how my bag setup will look next year but I know i will have at least one of these in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As others have said. This is the best hybrid I have ever hit. I went from not being able to hit a hybrid to save my life, to it being the best/favorite club in my bag.
Not sure how my bag setup will look next year but I know i will have at least one of these in there.

I upgraded from my 915hd to the 816H1 and could not be happier. I have had it on the course for two rounds and just love how easy it is to get up in the air....I am actually looking forward when I am 200+ yards out.

Hit this club yesterday while playing with Rob. He has two of these a swears by them. Was very impressed, easy to swing and get the ball in the air. Very straight.

Thinking yesterday may end up being a expensive day for me in the long run!

Hit this club yesterday while playing with Rob. He has two of these a swears by them. Was very impressed, easy to swing and get the ball in the air. Very straight.

Best hybrid I've ever hit. Couldn't hit one to save my life until I found this club. They are legit.

Yep...I had to double check my bag at the end of the round to make sure they were both there.

And just to be clear for everyone here...The difference between you hitting this well and me hitting it well, was well frankly about 30 yards. The one you hit into the elevated green into the wind on 9 was a golf shot!!

so how's it going sir?

Interestingly.

I've had it out for 7 rounds now as well as two range days. I have to admit, I like the finish, its unique and is just something that fits my personal eye. Build wise, its a bit chunky (H1), but the lack of offset makes it work. Sets up really well behind the ball. Nice crisp lower impact sound. Ball flight has actually been just lower than my Apex 23* which is surprising to me, particularly since I have a heavier and stronger flex shaft in that, but its still been what I consider mid-high. Need to put it on the LM with the Apex to get the exact #'s, but based off my eye and having done this for a long ass time now I'd bet its launching about a degree lower for me. Still a nice flight though.

Distance wise its been a 215ish club right on the money which makes it an exact 4i replacement for me, which I like to see. Even with the size, I can turn the ball over no issues. I'll be honest, and I thought it was crazy when I heard the comparison prior to getting it out, but its very Jetspeed hybrid like for me having gamed that one a bit too. Similar footprint, similar sound, but this obviously looks 100 times better than the jetspeed. Performance wise though, pretty spot on, but with adjustability and that is NOT a knock against this fwiw. I do have to say, again, that I think Titleists Cog system is insanely overcomplicated, it works, but when you HAVE to refer to a manual/chart to adjust it, to me that's too much trying to be so different its overcomplicated (I'm still looking at you with that too Cleveland/Srixon!).

Could I game it? Sure could. Its predictable, not super long, not super high launching, not super workable, but it is consistent and just enough of all those aforementioned things that it works well for what I want in that spot. Its a fun club, not a world changer, but a damn fun club. I consider it one of Titleist's better releases for sure.

sounds like a pretty fair assessment and overall a good one.

Interestingly.
Could I game it? Sure could. Its predictable, not super long, not super high launching, not super workable, but it is consistent and just enough of all those aforementioned things that it works well for what I want in that spot. Its a fun club, not a world changer, but a damn fun club. I consider it one of Titleist's better releases for sure.

I'll preface this with saying that I do NOT mean this as a knock against Titleist, as some may take it that way.

I think this description matches my general experience with the Titleist woods/irons in general. They're always "good" in all aspects for me, but I've never really had a "wow" experience. But always consistently good across the board. Always something I'd be happy playing, but nothing that makes me want to run out and buy them.

I'll preface this with saying that I do NOT mean this as a knock against Titleist, as some may take it that way.

I think this description matches my general experience with the Titleist woods/irons in general. They're always "good" in all aspects for me, but I've never really had a "wow" experience. But always consistently good across the board. Always something I'd be happy playing, but nothing that makes me want to run out and buy them.

it's funny you say that. When Christian and I were riding to the course the other day we had a similar conversation. It was about hybrids and I was using another brand as an example. Talked about how I'd hit their hybrids and it would hit the check mark on everything I was looking for, good all the way around. But yet there was always something else that I would find that would exceed those things and would prevent the first one from going in the bag.

Back