Trackman updates PGA/LPGA Averages

Some interesting distances there - I would have expected to see them slightly higher based on what you see on TV when they talk about players bombing drives out to 300yds....and some of the irons they use on par 3's

Some interesting distances there - I would have expected to see them slightly higher based on what you see on TV when they talk about players bombing drives out to 300yds....and some of the irons they use on par 3's

I agree with you, but I think these are "averages" meaning they've used numbers from the guys finishing last in tourneys also.

Tappin like its my job

I've learned something from these numbers.

I swing like a girl.

It kind of makes me wonder if these are averages, do any PGA tour pros have a driver swing speed of under 100 mph or just at 100 mph?

Wow! Very cool stuff. The fact my driver swing speed is 1 mph better than an average of PGA Tour professional swinging a 5 wood is why I'm a weekend warrior scrambling for par with the rest of the THPers out there.

I absolutely love looking at these numbers, thanks Ary! Obviously they get the most out of everything but I love having something to compare numbers to, or something to shoot for as far as launch angle and spin goes.

I agree with you, but I think these are "averages" meaning they've used numbers from the guys finishing last in tourneys also.

Tappin like its my job

Very true, maybe it would be interesting to see the overall longest and shortest distances as well as the averages so we can see the full spread from which the average is calculated

Very true, maybe it would be interesting to see the overall longest and shortest distances as well as the averages so we can see the full spread from which the average is calculated

That is what I would like to see also, show the top 50 players numbers and such. The breakdown would be eye opening I'm sure.

Tappin like its my job

It kind of makes me wonder if these are averages, do any PGA tour pros have a driver swing speed of under 100 mph or just at 100 mph?

That is what I would like to see also, show the top 50 players numbers and such. The breakdown would be eye opening I'm sure.

Tappin like its my job

Trackman doesn't have that stuff listed on its website, but the PGA Tour does that kind of stuff with their driving stats.
Club head speed: http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02401.html
Ball speed: http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02402.html
Carry distance: http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02409.html

You can look up any player on the PGA Tour in those stats. FWIW, club head speed ranges from 124.48 to 104.14, ball speed ranges from 181.76 to 154.78, and carry distance ranges from 305.4 to 246.6.

I remember seeing that there were two players who averaged 104 last year, I think one of them was David Toms.

Trackman doesn't have that stuff listed on its website, but the PGA Tour does that kind of stuff with their driving stats.
Club head speed: http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02401.html
Ball speed: http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02402.html
Carry distance: http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.02409.html

You can look up any player on the PGA Tour in those stats. FWIW, club head speed ranges from 124.48 to 104.14, ball speed ranges from 181.76 to 154.78, and carry distance ranges from 305.4 to 246.6.

Ary you are a stats genius, you always have a link or know where to get the info. Thanks a bunch, it's appreciated.

I remember seeing that there were two players who averaged 104 last year, I think one of them was David Toms.

I need to work on my clubhead speed, i'd be happy with 104.

Ary you are a stats genius, you always have a link or know where to get the info. Thanks a bunch, it's appreciated.

Thanks for calling me a stats genius instead of a stats geek. ;-)

I look at these numbers and understand why these guys hit it so far and straight. I know amateurs that would like these numbers or are close to the number but can't play any where near these numbers. This would be a good gage for players to aspire too but maybe slow done the swing first and gain some control

THanks Ary!

If you pic a couple players you then look at all three sheets you can see how they don't stay in the same spot from list to list. Just cause you have the fastest club head speed doesn't mean you carry it the farthest. I think something can be taken away from that for all of us. Just cause club head speed doesn't match up to what someone says they hit its possible to have a slower swing speed and still crush the ball farther than the guy with a few more mph on the ole club head.

Tappin like its my job

With the way the fairways seem to be mown for the tour, 275 carry will roll out to ver 300 a lot of the time.

Very interesting Ary. Thanks for posting bro!

I think if we teed it up with one of the slower swingers, Like Toms, Clark or Gay, we would be surprised at how solid and far they hit it compared to ourselves. I rarely see folks who can consistently carry it 250 or so.
It would be sort of like playing a pick up game of basketball with the 12th man on an NBA team. I've done this and it was eye opening just how much better even a journeyman/bench sitting pro was compared to the average guy.

Very cool stuff. I am would love to get an hour of trackman time in...

I'd take the LPGA distances every day of the week if I could shoot the scores they do.

I am really glad to see an updated chart. Would love to be on that 'average'

hehe, at the tender age of 65 I wish I was on the LPGA average.
oldman.gif

Update for 2016? How about Champions tour stats?

Update for 2016? How about Champions tour stats?

Trackman tweeted last night that they had updated their average data for the PGA and LPGA tours. They have now made them into downloadable PDFs on their website. I went ahead and converted the PDFs into JPGs so that they could be posted here. Since professionals are the best players in the world, I like to see their data to be a benchmark for amateurs to shoot for. In addition, the LPGA data is probably more important to look at for most amateurs compared to the high swingspeeds on the PGA Tour. Here are the JPGs, feel free to print them off for yourself.

2013-04-16+l+TrackMan_PGA_Tour_Averages-page-001.jpg

2013-04-16-TrackMan_LPGA_Tour_Averages-page-001.jpg
I think many of us can aspire to emulate champions tour numbers and I'm sure many on this forum are Champions tour age.

Back