Travel Covers: The Definitive Thread

DufferToo

101 Putters and Holding
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Putters
First off I confirmed with Smalls that the large threads on this topic are unfortunately gone, kind of like penny candy.

With all of the various Invitational’s, the Morgan Cup, and now the #Grandaddy, THP’rs will be doing a lot of traveling with their clubs in 2013. I for one have never flown with my clubs nor owned a travel cover. Since the knowledge amassed in the previous threads has been lost, I thought that it would be beneficial to those either looking for a travel cover for the first time or those looking to upgrade to have one definitive knowledge thread.

With this in mind, please answer the following questions:

Brand/Model you own:
Hardcase or Softcover:
Features you really like:
Things you are not so happy with:

In general when purchasing a travel bag:
a. What features, construction details, etc. do you look for in a travel cover?
b. What items to avoid?
c. Comments:

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

I think you want to get a sturdy bag with a good thick cover. Soft bags are really sufficient. Hard bags are obviously better, but I don't think they are so much better to justify using them. Biggest problem with a hard cover, is the size it is, is the size it is. No cramming it in tight spaces. Also, when you unpack it, it is still the same size. A soft bag will be much smaller unpacked.

I have a Hummer brand soft cover travel bag that I always use with a Stiff Arm. I wrap the shafts with bubble wrap (you can use towels too). I bought two of them for about $130 shipped, if I remember correctly. Hard to find that bag now.

It holds a staff bag with room to spare, once you get it in. It barely fit through the opening, but once inside, it was plenty roomy. Would have been easier had I removed the driver head! I also packed two stand bags with clubs, shoes and balls in one bag on one trip to California.

Make sure to get one with a good handle and good wheels, because you won't want to carry it!.

EDIT: There are a LOT LOT LOT of black travel bags.

Getting a funky color is not the worst thing, especially when looking for it as it's getting loaded onto the carousel at the airport.

hummerbag_zps27ee4421.jpg
21ZbsJcJq-L._SS500_.jpg

Stiff-Arm-review.jpg
CLUBG_STIFF_ARM-2.jpg

Last edited:
I use the Ogio Monster travel bag, it has the SLED system of a hard back with skate wheels on it to make it easier to get around and makes it a little more sturdy that a pure soft case. Plenty of straps inside and out to secure the bag and there are pockets inside and out for shoes and accessories

AAAAAtHlpFMAAAAAAUojhg.jpg

I would agree with Smalls on the "stiff arm"....best $30 you will ever spend! I would never put my clubs in a travel bag without one.

Here is what I have used for the past 6 years.http://www.golftravelbags.com/product/turtle.html

golftravelbags-turtle2-1.jpg

Brand: Golf Travel Bags
Model: Turtle 2
Shoftcase bottom with Hardcase top to protect clubs
Features: Like how easy it is to load and unload the bag. It stands up on it's base without tipping over when at the airport or car which is nice. 2 HUGE pockets on the side that all you to pack cloths, shoes, or whatever else you want. I have used it with lightweight stand bags, cart bags, and even a staff bag with no problems. I've never had anything break or rip on the bag so the quality is certainly there. The handle on it is comfortable and makes it easy to walk with while in the airport. I have never used a stiff arm and with this case I never felt the need to.

Things I don't like: It doesn't fold away nice like some other soft bags do.

Don't laugh, it's an oldie: Ogio, doubt you can still get this style. Still does fine for me carrying my cart bag and a full load with room to spare.

OgioTravelBag.jpg

StiffArm.jpg

I have the Bridgestone Travel Bag. Plenty of room for a staff bag plus multiple storage pockets for other gear. For a weekend trip I could get away without a suitcase. I also recommend a stiff arm to go with it.

images-1-1_zpseacf1324.jpeg

One more thing, and that makes duey's all the more the look to get:

There are a LOT LOT LOT of black travel bags.

Getting a funky color is not the worst thing, especially when looking for it as it's getting loaded onto the carousel at the airport.

I have the Club Glove BurstProof with wheels, which I've had for probably 5 years. I take 2-4 trips per year with my clubs, and have never had a problem. My stand bag fits well in there, but there is no way a bigger stand bag (like some with 14-way dividers) or a staff bag could fit in there. It has 2 pockets on the inside of the bag for shoes, which is really nice because I can usually put my golf shoes and a couple of other pairs of shoes in there, so I don't have to put them in my carry-on bag.

One tip I always tell people when packing their travel bag: a stiff arm is great for protecting the longer clubs in your bag, but if you have an adjustable driver/fairway/hybrid, take the heads of the clubs off of the shafts and put the heads in a different pocket with the headcovers over them. Then you just leave the shafts in their places in the bag. That prevents you from having a shaft snap at the hosel if the bag is dropped or hit while in transit.

Club Glove, I think it is a Burst Proof, not XL but big enough for all but those huge staff bags. I use a smaller carry bag when traveling. If you have a staff bag, you need a larger travel bag.

Soft side, I have used a hard case in the past but those things are a pain in the rental cars and hotel rooms. No problems at all with the soft sided travel bag.

Features I like, the bag is strong and fairly easy to handle, just grab the handle and drag it on the wheels. I fold it and leave it in the trunk of the rental car until ready to pack and leave.

Not happy with: bulk, but the combination of strength and mobility is the best of the four travel bags I have had.

Things to look for, strength, large enough without being too large. Keep in mind what you will do with the bag in the rental car and hotel room.

If your driver head is not removable, get a stiff arm. Otherwise, wrap the head in a towel and put it in a pocket of your golf bag.

I have flown with clubs to Hawaii and numerous times to the west coast with no problems. Sometimes they come out in a separate area of the terminal so you may have to look around a little.

BagBoy T-500. It was cheap, but has served me well.

80_1.jpg

ARY:

What did you use last summer when you took the staff bag to Myrtle?

I have an SKB hard shell. I really don't trust the airlines so I went with the case that provides the most protection. I have had it for almost 10 years now and although there are a bunch of scratches on the case I have never once had damage to a club. I have travelled with it probably 30 times. I went with the staff bag size so I could pack shoes and extra clothes in it.

2SKB-1649W_open_gear_xlarge.png

2SKB-1649W_closed_down_xlarge.png

Another reason for SKB is their warranty.
[h=5]$1500 Content Coverage Warranty[/h]Offered with all ATA-rated SKB Sports Hard Cases, no registration required. SKB will cover up to $1500 to repair or replace equipment damaged by a commercial airline carrier while secured in one of our ATA-rated cases. If your gear has been damaged on a flight, first file a claim with the airline (SKB recommends keeping copies of all documents related to your claim and taking pictures of damages whenever possible). Once the claim has been settled, submit it and related documents to SKB for review. SKB may provide up to $1500 to cover any outstanding cost above the airline's claim amount. For more information on this warranty program, please contact our customer service department at (800) 654-5992.

I have used quite a few throughout the years and my favorite, which I still use, is the SKB Deluxe http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=16&pid=70. It is big, heavy, and expensive, but I have no worries when I travel. For work alone, I travel about 25 times per year, and I am really comfortable when my clubs are in this case. The outside is pretty beat up, so I can only imagine the torture this thing goes through.

ARY:

What did you use last summer when you took the staff bag to Myrtle?

I shipped my staff bag ahead of time to my parents, they brought it to MB. I packed my clubs in my stand bag, swapped them out when I got down there. I'll do the same this year. It was either pay like $40 to ship the staff bag or pay >$200 to get a bigger travel bag, it was a no-brainer.

Re: Lefty78's post, the Club Glove Last Bag is the one to get if you need to travel with a staff bag or larger cart bag. My dad has a cart bag with a 14-way divider, and there is no way that bag could fit in my Burstproof travel bag.

Thanks for the info, ary. Didn't know you did that!

I have the Club Glove BurstProof with wheels, which I've had for probably 5 years. I take 2-4 trips per year with my clubs, and have never had a problem. My stand bag fits well in there, but there is no way a bigger stand bag (like some with 14-way dividers) or a staff bag could fit in there. It has 2 pockets on the inside of the bag for shoes, which is really nice because I can usually put my golf shoes and a couple of other pairs of shoes in there, so I don't have to put them in my carry-on bag.

One tip I always tell people when packing their travel bag: a stiff arm is great for protecting the longer clubs in your bag, but if you have an adjustable driver/fairway/hybrid, take the heads of the clubs off of the shafts and put the heads in a different pocket with the headcovers over them. Then you just leave the shafts in their places in the bag. That prevents you from having a shaft snap at the hosel if the bag is dropped or hit while in transit.

I have the same bag and agree, the stiff arm saved my driver for sure.

Ogio Straight Jacket
softcover
nice and compact when empty, has protected my clubs very well over the last several years
nice big wheels, comfortable handle, and just big enough to fit everything I need for a week
happy with the Ogio, not so happy with airport security they have yet to repack it properly leaving straps undone and clubs thrown back in with no protection but with just the outside straps secure and zipper closed it has protected everything inside (I use pvc pipe to protect driver shaft instead of stiffarm)

when I went shopping I wanted hard until finding they don't fit in many rental cars, clubglove are universally lauded as really good, with bagboys also getting many positive comments, bought Ogio based on my experience w/carry bag and am very happy with it (bought another for my wife)

Bag Boy T10. Hybrid soft body with hard shell top. Folds into itself for easy storage and has lasted me 3+ years and about 16 trips (mostly with connections too).

I have the club glove burst proof with wheels- had it for well over 5 years now and use it whenever commuting via train bus or plane with clubs. Fits my Ping hoofer nicel and has 2 inside pockets for my shoes. Also when I was in Costa Rica I needed room to bring back gifts and was able to fit most of my dirty laundry in the bag also haha. Great travel bag def. recommended.

wanted to add my favorite feature is it can stand upright by itself due to its hard bottom/sled system.

Last edited:
A friend at work had one a few years ago and I can't remember what it was called. We called it R2-D2. It had a hard top and bottom and the center portion was a sturdy fabric like most. When you put your clubs in it the heads at the top were protected by the hard top and the bottom portion of the bag was protected from a hard shell as well. The best part was that if you had to store it or transport it in a rental car for example, the center portion collapsed onto itself into about half the size of a golf bag and it ended up looking like R2-D2.

Brand/Model you own: Bag Boy T-500 (black w/ red)
Hardcase or Softcover: Soft
Features you really like: Easy on the wallet ($40 on rockbottomgolf.com), lightweight, my driver and bag fit with room to spare (old travel bag couldn't fit the driver)
Things you are not so happy with: I found that the wheels tend to "bow out" if the bag shifts inside, even with the internal bag strap (i'm assuming from how gentle baggage handlers are)

I paired this with the Club Glove Stiff Arm and it has worked well for me on a few trips so far.

Good thread! I definitely need some advise for September when I fly to Ireland.

Thanks to everyone for your responses so far.

I was surprised at how easily the padding compressed when pinched between my thumb and forefinger on the several models of Club Glove and Bag Boy I examined. Granted, our clubs are designed to strike the ground at 70+ mph so they should be able to handle most of what the baggage handlers can dish out. That being said, having recently retrieved my large Samsonite suitcase from baggage claim that was twisted like a corkscrew, I have a new respect for the amount of damage that the baggage gorillas can dish out. The trend in the airline industry is to disallow claims for clubs damaged unless they were in a hard case.

Question: In addition to the stiff arm and additional padding of some sort, does anyone insure their clubs?

Please keep the mini-reviews of your current travel covers as well as additional club protection methods coming. If you upgrade your travel bag or develop better ways to protect your clubs please do not hesitate to post your results here.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

I used to take a towel and wrap them around the club heads but I don't do that anymore.

Back