Vibram Five Finger Shoes - Review Thread

Interesting thoughts about getting sand in them. That would irritate the heck out of me if it did happen.

Curious to hear the reviewers thoughts on that aspect.
It would irritate me as well, wouldn't have thought about that ahead of time.

It would irritate me as well, wouldn't have thought about that ahead of time.

It certainly happens, but until the sand works down to the toes you don't really notice (or I don't anyway). Then just take the shoe off and a quick shake and it's good. It wouldn't be a factor to me unless my course had a ton of bunkers and I tended to be in them a lot.

More range time today with the V-Classic LR shoes. Hit around 100 balls. Like last time it took me a few hits to get used to where the ball is. Topped one, hit one fat, and then found the right spot.

No sliding inside the shoe or on the mat at all. Grip great. I feel more in control of my lower body with these shoes. I have more confidence from the ground up. With normal golf shoes I would feel like I would lose connection to the ground. These shoes I definitely don't.

Something interesting is happening when I'm barefoot without the shoes. I notice my toes being more engaged with the ground. I had this happen when I used to wear my Vibram KSO shoes. Seems like my feet are remembering what it is like to work again.

ava7uju3.jpg

These shoes make me wonder if Sam Snead would have won even more had they been around then. He swore by the benefits of playing barefoot. Great stuff so far guys, keep up the good work.

Could one of the testers take a photo of one foot with the Vibram and one with the standard golf shoe to see the height difference, thanks.

Sand is a good question. I have not experienced yet. But can tell you only from wearing this morning. I think sand will get in add the sides are low and the shoe tongue is only attached at the bottom which leaves the sides exposed for sand to get thru after passing the laces.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk
This sand getting in the shoe thing would probably be a deal breaker for me. I HATE anything that gets into my shoes.

Other than that, there are some fascinating initial thoughts in here so far. From toes being engaged into the golf swing, to feet going back to work, to twig/thorn things getting stuck between the toes. Great stuff so far.

Great stuff in here so far guys. Giving me some things to think about once I get mine. Look forward to getting mine and seeing how they are.

Could one of the testers take a photo of one foot with the Vibram and one with the standard golf shoe to see the height difference, thanks.

I will definitely do that. I want to measure it to really know how much of a difference it is.

Great thoughts so far guys. jjc's experience with sand getting in, stuff getting stuck between the toes, and feet getting wet is enough to take these off the list of anything I would consider. That stuff would drive me absolutely crazy.

Here is a few pictures to show height difference, spikes and spikeless shoes.
uploadfromtaptalk1398084678833.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398084734613.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398084782634.jpg

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

This sand getting in the shoe thing would probably be a deal breaker for me. I HATE anything that gets into my shoes.

Other than that, there are some fascinating initial thoughts in here so far. From toes being engaged into the golf swing, to feet going back to work, to twig/thorn things getting stuck between the toes. Great stuff so far.

I'm a huge V5 fan, but I think if you were to just try them for golfing you might not become a convert. They really take some time for your muscles to adjust (painfully adjust if you do it too quickly). But I think if you wear them around the house and just going around doing some hiking and such they will quickly grow on you, and you will want to wear them for everything. They really are that comfortable. Though I should add if you need orthotics these won't be for you.

Alright guys... Did a pretty solid testing on the Speed XC Lite's.

I played 18 holes early yesterday morning and of course, left my phone at the house so I couldnt snap any pictures.

For testing's sake, I did 1-9 without socks and 10-18 with socks.

1-9 - no socks:
- Dew on the ground = wet feet
- Bunker play = sandy feet, but not nearly as bad as expected. IMO, not a deal breaker
- Stability was excellent and after the first few swings, I noticed that the traction was fine.
- Feet were cold and had that "clammy" feel to them.
- Toe fatigue -> I did not my toes were "fatigued" as to where my feet felt a little sore after about 5-6 holes, but nothing that made the round miserable.

Pro's -> Comfortable, lightweight, easy to wipe off.
Con's -> Feet get wet, toe's/feet felt fatigued

10-18 - with socks:
- Dew on the ground = dry feet
- Bunker play = no sand on my feet
- Foot sweating was cut down TREMENDOUSLY from wearing socks.
- Toes felt a little cramped at first and I think that was just due to the different feel of having socks on.
- Foot/Toe Fatigue was still there and got pretty bad towards the end of the round.

Pro's -> Way more comfortable with sock, dry feet, no foot sweat to speak of
Con's -> Tighter fitting with socks, they look goofy because the socks are higher than the shoes.

My main take away's:
1. It will take time to get used to them.
2. Toe/Foot fatigue is to be expected.
3. Be careful where you walk, cause stepping on a rock is felt much more in the Vibram's than in a standard golf shoe.
4. If the ground is wet, be careful on your first swing that you really grip and rip.
5. They are insanely comfortable and light weight.
6. I will never wear them playing golf without socks again.
7. Have thick skin... cause you will get laughed at.

I am going to get to the course this week a few times and will snap some pictures.

Nice review Sanzabar, lots of good info here. Would you consider yourself a smooth easy swinger, especially with driver, or like me, "snake killer". I really go after the ball and wonder about the stibility for us players who attack the ball.

6. I will never wear them playing golf without socks again.
Great stuff. Especially this part.

Also, "toe fatigue" sounds awful. Does this mean that your toes are sore? Or that it felt like you played 18 with your toes strained or something?

Nice review Sanzabar, lots of good info here. Would you consider yourself a smooth easy swinger, especially with driver, or like me, "snake killer". I really go after the ball and wonder about the stibility for us players who attack the ball.

I am more of a smooth tempo guy. My balance is bad when I really go after it.

I noticed on a 3 wood swing that I did lose my footing some when I really went after it!

Great stuff. Especially this part.

Also, "toe fatigue" sounds awful. Does this mean that your toes are sore? Or that it felt like you played 18 with your toes strained or something?

It is a hard thing to explain. I more or less feel like in normal golf shoes that my toes are relaxed. However, in these... I felt like my toes were spread a little apart and not as relaxed as normal.

Good stuff Sanzabar. I would think over time that your toes would start to get used to it. My guess is too that in a regular shoe your toes kind of all work together across one flat surface. In these they all have to work individually on their own.

Good stuff Sanzabar. I would think over time that your toes would start to get used to it. My guess is too that in a regular shoe your toes kind of all work together across one flat surface. In these they all have to work individually on their own.

I totally agree with this notion.

I actually plan on wearing them as casual shoes a little so that my toes can get used to them.

The toe fatigue described isn't a surprise. These types of shoes force your feet to engage the tiny muscles that normally see no action in regular shoes. It's just a matter of building up that muscle strength.

I agree with the fatigue. Need to wear a little at a time to get use to. Glad I did a good cart the first time. Plus a warm non wet environment would be nice. I know people that have and love this brand. But it takes a bit to get use too. Playing for 40 years in regular golf shoes this is a major change. High ruff and steep side Hill lies are not easy with these for me when playing the Grand Geneva this weekend. There was soreness and the feet were happy to get back to my gym shoes after round.

Jeff
sent using tapatalk

Great stuff here so far guys, from all of you. I was interested in hearing how the fatigue would be. These really look to me like the shoes you would wear to go on a float trip or in the ocean surfing and wanted to have good traction without worrying about cutting your feet on rocks and such.

Keep it up guys, good stuff.

Great stuff testers!

Sanzabar: with dew on ground how was stability? Any slipping?

Also any chaffing on the heel without socks?

Back