Western Plains/Mountain States get together?

RonInThornton

LEFTIES UNITE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
28 GHIN
Would anyone be interested in a Western Plains/Mountain States get together in the Denver Area? Thinking Mid May if folks are interested for those of us who can't make it to FL.

Folks from Utah, Co., NM, Nebraska, Kansas, S. Dakota, or anywhere else for that matter for a weekend of golf in Denver, some really great courses here, and the weather is usually great in mid may.

I might be interested in that if things work out timing wise with my job. I'd be able to drive to that and should have some motel credit to use.

I'm in!

Me too.. will feel strange not hoppin on the bike to go to Co. :D

I am in! This should be fun.

Sounds like you guys got a good thing started here :thumb: A little mini outing is great for the ones who are not able to make the big THP outing for whatever reason. I know we have had a blast with our little Southeastern Outing group for two years. Good luck with your outing and #1 have a great time at it :golf2:

Thanks Gray, starting to get a good turn out and there are some killer courses here. Will be sure to take a lot of pictures

Thanks Gray, starting to get a good turn out and there are some killer courses here. Will be sure to take a lot of pictures

Ron - That's the ticket! Most THP'ers love the pics to see the new faces and new golf courses etc. I have no doubt you guys will build some serious memories out there and by the way, GOOD job on putting this thing together dude :clapp:

OK so do we want to start talking about places to play and budgets?

A Sat. would be best for me. & I just need a lil notice to secure vacation time from work.

Well here's some questions we should figure out
Do we want to play one day? Or Sat and Sunday?
What price range are we looking at for a round?
What area do we want to play in? North? South?

Here are a few course suggestions:

Fossil Trace http://www.fossiltrace.com/index.html

The Dunes at Riverdale Links style course http://www.riverdalegolf.com/golf.html

Indian Peaks http://www.indianpeaksgolf.com/

And of course my home course Thorncreek 4 star rating by golf digest http://www.thorncreekgc.com/layout9.asp?id=216&page=4778

Royal, Spiff, Bulldog any course suggestions?

On courses, I'll let you locos...I mean locals decide.lol.. I'm really open to all sugestions

How does the Weekend of May 21st work for everyone?

You do realize that that is the weekend of the THP Outing right?

Uh, no I didn't. Time for Plan B I guess, although I'm pretty sure no one who's responded about this was planning on attending the Official THP outing as it's on the East Coast.

Suggestions for alternate dates guys?

Uh, no I didn't. Time for Plan B I guess, although I'm pretty sure no one who's responded about this was planning on attending the Official THP outing as it's on the East Coast.

Suggestions for alternate dates guys?

No big deal, just wanted to make sure that you were aware. Feel free to hold it the same weekend, I just wanted to make sure you knew just in case a few did not respond from the area.

I have played Fossil Trace and it is really nice. I have heard lots of great things about Indian Peaks also. I am not sure about the weekend of the 21st as my anniversery is a few days later, but I will check and see what we are doing.

No big deal, just wanted to make sure that you were aware. Feel free to hold it the same weekend, I just wanted to make sure you knew just in case a few did not respond from the area.

I think it is a great idea for some of the areas to host a get together on the same week end as the THP outing. I know the fellowship would be great and there would be an added excitement being together the same week end as the big outing is happening too.

I think it is a great idea for some of the areas to host a get together on the same week end as the THP outing. I know the fellowship would be great and there would be an added excitement being together the same week end as the big outing is happening too.

No issues now that the outing is full. However if the outing was not full, it might lead people to choose other locations not understanding that THP only has 1 outing. Hope that makes sense.

I'm not that excited about it being the same weekend simply because I want to be around to see the flood of pictures streaming in from the outing, but no doubt that will last for several weeks, lol. The week or two prior to the outing would give other outings a chance to show some pictures and get all those lucky dogs going to Florida a little extra boost of excitement, if thats possible.

Thanks @RonInThornton for putting this together. I should be able to go the weekend of May 21st but there is a small possibility I might not. My youngest daughter's birthday is May 27th. Not sure when we'll be "celebrating" as logically the choice would be the 28th, we've managed to defy logic in previous birthday parties!

If we're only doing one day, then my suggestion would be Fossil Trace. A lot of fun, could be tough to get on!

If we're doing 2 days then I'd say Fossil & Riverdale.

If we're looking for less expensive, Riverdale is the way to go or Thorncreek. (I could go for saturday/sunday riverdale/thorncreek too!)

I'll throw out Murphy Creek http://www.golfexperience.com/murphycreek/ too because that is a great course. I'm not opposed to Indian Peaks, but I'd prefer Murphy Creek over that. Also, if people are actually flying in for this event, its not too far from DIA.

Thanks again Ron!

If the timing works, I'm in too. Other good possibilities are Fox Hollow, Buffalo Run, Riverdale Dunes.

I can't play the weekend of the 21st. That is my Club's Presidents Cup tournament. Any other weekend in May is good though. (edit: I would skip the tournament if we can only do this on the 21st. I would really love to get together with some nearby THP'ers.)

By the way, I know Jim Hajek, the head pro at Fossil Trace... he used to be the pro at my home course. My mom even took lessons from him. If we decide to to do that I'd be willing to contact him. Fossil Trace has a men's club, so we'd have to pick a weekend which didn't conflict with one of their tournaments.

Last edited:
Back