What does this say about Nike?

By them not giving him the product he'll get it anyway and review it so it's less hassle and less bad publicity if you give it to him in the first place. Him asking the question "is this new technology better" is what we are all thinking anyway so why should they be worried.
To me they are worried he rips them a new one but Nike are a big company and should not be scared of one person reviewing it and should stand by their product and not be scared. Maybe they are just happy getting gold stars from GD which nobody reads anyways.

Considering he has posted YouTurb reviews online of all three Nike Vapor drivers I think the Internet needs to stop playing detective.

MyGolfSpy is really good and up front with their reviews. When they do their annual tests, they're very forthcoming about who sent in products to be tested, and who refused. A lot of guys just review what they get, and don't make a fus about it otherwise. I say good on the companies who put their products out there with these smaller groups for testing, but there are a LOT of internet-based reviewers, and it's gotta be expensive to put clubs out there for all of the reviewers to take a look at.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're kidding right?

Tell me more about their Parsons Extreme Golf writeup and their "up-front" status.

Considering he has posted YouTurb reviews online of all three Nike Vapor drivers I think the Internet needs to stop playing detective.

I was wondering this. Too funny.

Having a Youtube channel doesn't automatically entitle you to free equipment on demand.

Like some have said, not getting free clubs to review is no excuse. It's like the Albania episode of Top Gear, how Maybach didn't want to give them a car because of how poorly they reviewed them previously.

By them not giving him the product he'll get it anyway and review it so it's less hassle and less bad publicity if you give it to him in the first place. Him asking the question "is this new technology better" is what we are all thinking anyway so why should they be worried.
To me they are worried he rips them a new one but Nike are a big company and should not be scared of one person reviewing it and should stand by their product and not be scared. Maybe they are just happy getting gold stars from GD which nobody reads anyways.

To be fair, I would bet that a lot of the same people who have viewed his videos have also seen GD's hot list, or have seen their ratings next to clubs in stores or on-line. As much as you either can't believe the rating system or take them with a huge grain of salt, they are everywhere in the marketing side of the golf world. He gets a lot of views on some of his reviews, but I wouldn't think it's anywhere near the amount of people that have some sort of interaction with GD's hot list rankings.

There could be so many reasons why this happened, and I would hate to speculate on which company it is.

These things do happen though. I remember when we were first starting out a company told us we could only review their product if they could read and approve the review first before it was published. Needless to say, that company did not get reviewed by THP because we would never agree to that. But you just never know what a company's reasoning is behind doing what they do. I refuse to draw any conclusions or post an opinion without facts.

I like reading and watching reviews. They almost always offer a tidbit for thought and make me take notes for when I'm looking at the club myself. When it comes to reviews, I tend to take the advice of GK Chesterton: I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite. Reviews are a starting point, not the end point. When I get in the store and hit that club, that horrible review is worth peanuts if I love the club. The same applies for a stellar review if the club performs like crap in my hands. Now if Company A doesn't want to give Tester Z a club to review, they both lose in my mind. That's one less piece of information (i.e., marketing) out there that gets the brand in front of my face.

And to be quite honest, I found Crossfields review on the Vapor Pro to be quite petty. How many times do I need to hear his take on marketing? It was obvious he didn't understand or care to research the product to understand why they did it, so I am supposed to just trust that he hit the ball 6 times and thats the end all be all of performance testing?

I think he is an engaging personality, but his reviews are crap.

And to be quite honest, I found Crossfields review on the Vapor Pro to be quite petty. How many times do I need to hear his take on marketing? It was obvious he didn't understand or care to research the product to understand why they did it, so I am supposed to just trust that he hit the ball 6 times and thats the end all be all of performance testing?

I think he is an engaging personality, but his reviews are crap.

I've started only watching his course vlogs. All his reviews are exactly the same now.

1. Complain about marketing
2. Complain about tech and how he has saw no improvements
3. Hit the ball and see comparable numbers across everything

https://twitter.com/4golfonline

Looking at some of the tweets from earlier this morning has caused me to lose a lot of respect for him. Very unprofessional and childish for someone who is suppose to be a "professional".

One thing Mark improved on was that he's no longer biased on Mizuno clubs. Yes, Mizuno makes great clubs but so do the other companies.

I feel like that really says more about crossfield than Nike. This sort of thing is going to happen, but to whine about it and make hints about who it was is pretty low.

I just want my Nike wrench for my new Vapor 3W that I can't adjust............oh wait, I can!!! With my Callaway wrench! Crisis avoided.

Yeah what's missing? I saw his reviews. ....and all the others. ......clubs are fairly maxed out.....down to personal preference.

Like some have said, not getting free clubs to review is no excuse. It's like the Albania episode of Top Gear, how Maybach didn't want to give them a car because of how poorly they reviewed them previously.

It was a Bentley. :)

I really like Mark Crossfield for swing tips because of how good he is at applying them to amateur swings and players, but for club reviews I'm exclusive to trusting THP for that same reason. Sure he's better than most at club reviews however nobody does it like the guys here and they seem to really dig what Nike's brought out this year. I wouldn't dwell to much on the issue.

His latest video has Vapor Flex vs G30...

I've started only watching his course vlogs. All his reviews are exactly the same now.

1. Complain about marketing
2. Complain about tech and how he has saw no improvements
3. Hit the ball and see comparable numbers across everything
Is your contention that there is actually a huge difference between different products that he is somehow masking with his GC2 data? Because when I went to test-hit drivers, I was equally bad with all of them. I went with the SLDR S because it came with a free 3 wood, not because it was somehow better than the others.

I personally think he has a good point. We like to talk like X brand is the best thing since breathing in and out, while Y brand is worse than sliding your kneecaps down to your ankles. But the fact is all brands are good, and since they're all constrained by making "conforming" equipment, they're all pretty equally good. Gear choice really comes down to personal preference, and very frequently that preference doesn't really show a performance gain when you start quantifying things.

I bet if any one of us sat down and tried to do a video review of every driver that came out in the last 3 years, our reviews would start really sounding the same too. And I bet our launch monitor data would look very similar as well.

His latest video has Vapor Flex vs G30...

An interesting two to compare. Even as the LS-Tec, not really apples to apples. But, its not surprising.

Is your contention that there is actually a huge difference between different products that he is somehow masking with his GC2 data? Because when I went to test-hit drivers, I was equally bad with all of them. I went with the SLDR S because it came with a free 3 wood, not because it was somehow better than the others.

I personally think he has a good point. We like to talk like X brand is the best thing since breathing in and out, while Y brand is worse than sliding your kneecaps down to your ankles. But the fact is all brands are good, and since they're all constrained by making "conforming" equipment, they're all pretty equally good. Gear choice really comes down to personal preference, and very frequently that preference doesn't really show a performance gain when you start quantifying things.

I bet if any one of us sat down and tried to do a video review of every driver that came out in the last 3 years, our reviews would start really sounding the same too. And I bet our launch monitor data would look very similar as well.

To an extent, this is true at times, but maybe not that extreme.

There still are differences - whether it's a fitting thing, forgiveness at some cost, different launch profiles, draw bias/fade bias, sound, looks, etc. Still worth finding out who may be suited for the club and how it performs in relation to its marketing spiel.

Think you missed my point.

My point was not to say he is lying about data. He hits the ball out of the center of the face and at this point basically clubs are maxed out, thus resulting in similar numbers for the majority of new clubs.

My overall point is he tends not to talk about most aspects because he ignores much of the tech and mocks it. Easy for a guy who hits the middle of the face to say that, but as someone whom doesn't, I'll take testing into my own hands or look at reviews that talk about consistency and ball speeds across the face.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If the new tech helps someone or it doesn't, that's entirely up to the person testing it. The part that bothers me about Mark is that he mocks companies who market themselves. I say TaylorMade and Nike has the biggest budget for marketing and they should market as much as possible. Why wouldn't they? It brings more money to the company.

If the new tech helps someone or it doesn't, that's entirely up to the person testing it. The part that bothers me about Mark is that he mocks companies who market themselves. I say TaylorMade and Nike has the biggest budget for marketing and they should market as much as possible. Why wouldn't they? It brings more money to the company.

Is he doing it to everybody? If so, I can dig that he thinks golf marketing stinks - that's his perogative. If he's cherry picking the companies to do it to then I suppose that's a different thing altogether. Can't blame one for something they all do.

He makes money as a coach. Of course he's going to say that new tech does nothing and strike does everything. If I'm advertising a driving school, I'm not going to say nice things about a self-driving car. It's simply not in my best interests.

That being said, he gets free gear as an internet personality. Now he's trying to pilot not getting free gear into more personality. If it's the speculated brand, I think it's a pretty silly move. Why pick a brand that simply has zero need for internet & grassroots advertising or reviews to plant your flag on? It almost seems to acknowledge that he's actually beneath their notice. Nothing against Mark, but he's an ant shaking his fist at a grown man in this, IMO.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're kidding right?

Tell me more about their Parsons Extreme Golf writeup and their "up-front" status.

To be fair that writeup had nothing to do with actual performance. Their club demo tests are as good as anything out there. They have obvious bias but numbers are numbers and they provide those.

Back