What golf stuff did you learn today?

Not saying I need to play more than practice, but I need to spend more time on the course instead of the range.

Looking at my previous scorecards, I am always somewhat baffled how my front 9 is consistently so much better than my back 9.

Yesterday, I made note on my scorecard at what point I started smoking my stogie/drinking beer (had 3 beers, which is normal for me on my Tuesday round).

I was shooting 4 over after 6 holes when I started to partake. Like clockwork, 2-3 holes later my game started to change.

Finished with a 43 on the front, and a 53 on the back.

Im not not smoking anymore cigars on the course, and am limiting myself to 1 cold beer.

I play much better when I don't drink/smoke a cigar

I always suck on the back 9. Not every now and then....but, every time, unless I go out solo (bc I don't drink or smoke).

After my 43/53=96 on Tuesday, I said I was going to go back, sans cigar/alcohol.

I did that today and shot an 84. There was no back 9 fall apart.

Side benefit: it saves a lot of money.

I have learned that my swing plan is to much inside to out.

This was during yesterday's round however I learned not to try and cut the ball around a large pine tree, over a deep bunker, and to a tight pin placement. Especially when my normal swing shape is right to left. I think this little act of bravo screwed my swing up for the next several holes. :beat-up:

How Nike now measures their irons thanks to Jman and the Pro Combo thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sometimes the most simple ridiculous solution is the best one.

Probably the most important thing I've learned is that a fade hit by pros and a "fade" hit by hackers are two different things.

Pro: Out-to-in swing path is relative to target.
Hacker: Out-to-in swing path is relative to body.

Last edited:
Wet conditions and my steep swing are not a good combination

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned that it's hard to improve on my golf game in the middle of a blizzard - while shoveling snow.

Oh... and I learned that winter sucks.

Hanger drill.

I have two problems at the top, getting across the line and also a cupped wrist...with the cupped wrist being horrible.

Hanger drill gives me immediate feedback to if I'm on plane and helps me not cup that wrist (not a big Breed guy but this is a good breakdown):

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golf-fix-take-it-top/

I was using this a bit in December. Really like the instant visual it gives.

I was using this a bit in December. Really like the instant visual it gives.

Thats the biggest thing for me, I need a visual badly, and this does it. Plus, the tactile feedback when I do it right is huge. I'm going to get this stuff fixed this year.

I can golf my ball a little, but I want to be able to truly GOLF my ball this year.

Thats the biggest thing for me, I need a visual badly, and this does it. Plus, the tactile feedback when I do it right is huge. I'm going to get this stuff fixed this year.

I can golf my ball a little, but I want to be able to truly GOLF my ball this year.
That's a quality drill there. Visual and tactile feedback are huge.

Last night Michael Breed showed a drill using two alignment sticks to check your set up to target. I went straight in to the back yard and found my hips and shoulders where a bit open. Going to use this one for a while.

Over the last few weeks, I learned some good stuff about golf balls.
I have learned that I am not as good a golfer as I think I am.
I can get good results with my game by using lower spin balls, because I can hit the fairway off the tee, but I need to be able to hold greens.
So, I can give up shots off the tee or around the greens.
I will be looking hard at the WS duo Spin, Callaway Chrome Soft and the Bstone B330RX over the next few weeks, to see if any of these balls give me good results on the course.

Sunday I learned the importance of keeping your left arm straight during your backswing. Makes it way easier to stay in plane. That one adjustment made a big difference in helping my outside-in swing path.

I have been learning about the rules of the game and how to manage my game in order to score. I'm not a scratch golfer but I have been trying to play like one and it's costing me a lot of strokes. I have to quit chasing par and letting the course play me.

I want to keep the ball in play and setup for the next shot instead of obsessing over maximum distance.

The more I learn, the more I love this game! :act-up:

I learned that I suck more than I thought.
Hitting an SLDR 16* driver reg flex and couldn't launch it above 10*. The shots were bombed though launching at 9-10.
I need to fix this.

I might have learned that I am addressing the ball, when driving, standing too up right.

To make sure I have video of my swing when it's going good, so that when it inevitably goes to crap, it's much easier to figure out where the breakdown is.

Also, how lucky we are to have Freddie here to help out when things go askew.

Today I learned that one Mike's Harder Lemonade is enough.

I learned over the last few days that, with my driver, I better have good alignment, good ball position, and swing away (rather than trying to steer), the combo leads to outstanding results! Alignment to target and ball position are the keys.
And fairways makes the game a little easier, and the scores a lot better!!

Back