What is 10K MOI and Does it Matter To You?

I played with 3 guys using Stealth/Stealth + in Florida and 1 playing the Qi. Although the Qi player was probably about a 15 handicap, he had far fewer missed fairways than the (presuming scratch or low cap) guy who was an excellent ball striker playing a Stealth. That being said, it didn't seem like a magic wand.

Best driver of the ball might have been a mobility challenged 80 year old who had a Paradym driver and woods. Straight as an arrow and over 200 yards with the driver which seemed almost physically impossible for him. Had Cleveland Launcher irons that were the size of hybrids.

I wonder if 10K will be like square drivers. Something that happens for a bit then goes away as there are better ways to get forgiveness other than chasing a number..
I dont think so. There are ways to do it that some people simply dont care about. Slow it down, make it spinnier, have it be more upright. Face closure is the recurring theme I hear from so many going back to the PGA Show thread. Chris was the latest to touch on it here.

Build to build performance, rather than chasing a number is what I think most golfers would really want in the end. If it gets there number wise? Great. But not without the sacrifices that are currently in place for a lot of golfers.

My Gen 6 from last year is 5k, can’t imagine how forgiving 10k must be. I’d have to hit it to know though.
It was more than 5K.
If you get a chance and watch the video, Chris breaks down that measurement well.

I dont think so. There are ways to do it that some people simply dont care about. Slow it down, make it spinnier, have it be more upright. Face closure is the recurring theme I hear from so many going back to the PGA Show thread. Chris was the latest to touch on it here.

Build to build performance, rather than chasing a number is what I think most golfers would really want in the end. If it gets there number wise? Great. But not without the sacrifices that are currently in place for a lot of golfers.
Yeah, that is a better way to voice my thoughts. Square was really all about MOI as well right? That was how designers figured out how to get to 5900 (Nike Sasquatch) first. Then as they understood what that really meant, they dialed in the shape and things returned to a more acceptable visual pallet while maintaining high MOI..

That was a refreshingly down to earth explanation of how MOI is achieved. Great listen!

Yeah, that is a better way to voice my thoughts. Square was really all about MOI as well right? That was how designers figured out how to get to 5900 (Nike Sasquatch) first. Then as they understood what that really meant, they dialed in the shape and things returned to a more acceptable visual pallet while maintaining high MOI..
Correct. And I had an idea for a square driver article a bit ago and it hasnt gotten done yet.
With square drivers, the sacrifice was a few things, with one of the biggest being aerodynamics. They were slow. Combine that with less traditional looks, etc. Now those in the market for that, didnt really care as much about offset or upright, so may not have struggled with those things, but without it those drivers would also be very hard on face closure.

That was a great video. He does a phenomenal job of breaking things down to understand them. Thanks for sharing that!

Correct. And I had an idea for a square driver article a bit ago and it hasnt gotten done yet.
With square drivers, the sacrifice was a few things, with one of the biggest being aerodynamics. They were slow. Combine that with less traditional looks, etc. Now those in the market for that, didnt really care as much about offset or upright, so may not have struggled with those things, but without it those drivers would also be very hard on face closure.
interested to read that article.. It is interesting that square and triangle shaped drivers all came and went in about a 3 year span..

interested to read that article.. It is interesting that square and triangle shaped drivers all came and went in about a 3 year span..
I had a fantastic conversation a few years ago with Tom Olsavsky about that very thing. He was the creator of the triangle version which Taylormade put out. I think it would be a good chance to revisit it.

#MOIjacking :ROFLMAO:

Very informative and a really easy to understand breakdown of MOI. A lot of products have this sweet spot of good enough versus number chasing. I have not hit a 10K driver as of yet but I have seen the Qi10 Max and that shape of the head just isn't appealing at all. Really glad Vosh broke it down the way he did.

#MOIjacking :ROFLMAO:

Very informative and a really easy to understand breakdown of MOI. A lot of products have this sweet spot of good enough versus number chasing. I have not hit a 10K driver as of yet but I have seen the Qi10 and that shape of the head just isn't appealing at all. Really glad Vosh broke it down the way he did.
I kind of hate you right now for me not having done that first. 😆

I had a fantastic conversation a few years ago with Tom Olsavsky about that very thing. He was the creator of the triangle version which Taylormade put out. I think it would be a good chance to revisit it.
This one? Saw this at a store the other day in the used bin. I remember these when they came out. Super expensive if I remember correct..
IMG_4202.jpegIMG_4203.jpeg

Boom GIF

This one? Saw this at a store the other day in the used bin. I remember these when they came out. Super expensive if I remember correct..
View attachment 9250449View attachment 9250450
How is this memory for you?
MSRP was $600 for driver, over $350 for FW Woods and $175 an iron for steel.
17 years ago and we were just doing research and stuff for THP beginning the following year.

Chris explained it well but it's still all marketing. "10K not that great, but 9.5K is the best because that's what we're doing." When Mizuno does 10K, they'll just say they figured out how to reduce spin and improve looks.
He explained the trade offs needed to achieve 10k and explained why he felt those trade offs weren’t worth being able to make the 10k claim.

Call it marketing if you like, but it’s honest marketing and not pushing hype.

How is this memory for you?
MSRP was $600 for driver, over $350 for FW Woods and $175 an iron for steel.
17 years ago and we were just doing research and stuff for THP beginning the following year.
haha. That is mostly todays rates. lol. I don't recall these doing very well though. This was right in the middle of the best years for some other companies. I forget the number but that god-awful Titleist triangle driver was the same year.. But the equipment those years were fun!! It was like the wild wild west.. That is when tech and numbers really started to enter the golf scene.

He always does a fantastic job at explaining what the thought processes were for club designs and explaining the tech that goes into them. This was a really good explanation of MOI and the trade-offs for reaching 10k. I imagine the discussions at the Victory Cup will be insane!

What a fantastic video. So well explained. Everyone can learn a lot from this.
It's simply amazing what I learned in less than 4 minutes. This was so helpful to my undersatnding of MOI and drivers. I actually took notes.

What a good video, my first reaction to all the 10k stuff when it was coming out was right along these lines, what were they giving up to chase a number! As an engineer I always enjoy Vosh's talks, he has the knack to talk about engineering concepts in a way that most can understand, and there are a lot of engineers out there that can't do that.

I appreciate how Chris made that very easy to understand 10k fold

Never really understood what MOI meant and I have a way better understanding of it now.

I remember the discussion point during the PGA show. Love that video can back up that discussion as well!

Great video. Vosh explained the concepts so well that even I could understand them.

I think that most of the OEM's talk about MOI as being advantageous in one way or another in their clubs or at least certain clubs that they are selling. I don't know much about the 10K stuff, but I can tell you that my G400 MAX was one fantastic fairway finder and Ping touted it at the time the highest MOI club available. I won't dispute that based on my drives.

Great video. Vosh explained the concepts so well that even I could understand them.
He’s got a way with words for sure

Back