what part of your game are you working on?

Whole swing in general. Back to the starting board I think. I've been able to play on a more regular basis and the scores finally showed some progression. I was putting low 90s on the card and even broke 90 once with an 89. Now, I'm struggling to break 100 again. Yesterday was my closest in a while with a flat even 100. Putting isn't the strongest right now (I even missed a 5 footer for birdie on a par 3) but I really think keeping tee shots in play (as opposed to OB, lost ball, or downright unplayable lies) would drop the first 3-5 strokes. Maybe more. A lesson is works. Thinking about doing the Get Golf Ready thing next month. At this point, it can't hurt. I'm avoiding equipment changes because I know; Logic does not exists in the mind of a player that just shot 100.

Find a way to minimize spin! Or... play courses with firm and fast fairways.

Scoring as in getting up and down to save par more often? Or more birdies...? I feel like people interchange the two often, but in my opinion mean two different things.

Anyways, I need to do something with putting. Does buying a new putter count as working on my putting game?

I want to do both! Not on the same hole tho. Lol Is there anything wrong with that?

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

100 yards and in!!!!

Got into the nasty habit of pulling my wedges about 10-15 yards left. Trying to break that.

Trying to get back to a nice smooth swing. I took a break from golf and came back trying to crush the ball. Recent breakthrough came when I remembered that I hit my best shots when I feel like I pause for a split second at the top of my backswing.

Mentally and maybe physically, this marked the completion of my backswing and cued my body to begin the downswing. I am working on turning my hips a bit faster from this position in order to generate power through the ball as opposed to using my arms to swing harder or faster at the ball.

All easier said than done!

Going to start working hard on 50 yards and in. I really wish the courses around me had better short game areas without having to drive 30 minutes to get to good all round one. Ones got a good 50 yard pitching green and decent putting green, the other has a sand trap. The best short game area is a 27 hole about 30-35 minutes from house with a good range and quality balls. Neither of which the two closest have.

Working on my grip pressure.. I feel my left hand to gripping to tight on the club and taking over my swing... Today played 9 and tried just to let my left hand barely hold the club and use my right hand to press against my left hand and grip (i'm right handed and use overlap grip)... worked really well today... had a couple pulls but nothin to terrible.

Pretty awesome range session today. Made sure to do my pre-shot routine between shots and it paid off pretty nicely. Spent time 50/50 between full swings and pitch shots with the wedges.

Hit 20yd and 40yd pitches in the yard. Off grass and off tees.

What do you guys do from those distances?

Tapatalk on iPhone4S

Short game. 150 yards in. Haven't hit anything higher than an 8 iron in weeks

Take away with the proper wrist/hand action action while keeping the weight inside my rear leg. With a good solid turn. My golftec coach would be proud lol

Being more consistant. 150 and in. Lots of putting... I do need more work off the tee, but it only counts for a small portion of my practice..

Putting and short chips at home. Looking forward to my lesson next Monday where I want to start addressing my problems with using the driver and fairway wood off the tee. I can't hit them to save my life, either top it or sky it or slice it! Where to begin? Probabaly with set up I guess! I have no major issues hitting my irons, which I strike pretty well most of the time. However, I have absolutely no confidence from the tee with a wood right now (excluding the 3 hybrid) and it ruined my last round so even my iron and wedge play was affected! Frustrating!!

Mixed in some of my old drills with my practice session last night. I don't know why I don't do that more often. Most helpful drill ever for me is the step drill. It's the one thing that helps me get my weight shifted and my shoulders rotating. I'd do a few step drills, and then hit a ball, which seemed to make the range session enjoyable for once.

Mixed in some of my old drills with my practice session last night. I don't know why I don't do that more often. Most helpful drill ever for me is the step drill. It's the one thing that helps me get my weight shifted and my shoulders rotating. I'd do a few step drills, and then hit a ball, which seemed to make the range session enjoyable for once.

Hawk, I am trying to work on both of these, can you explain this step drill?

After last night...everything. I need to be rebuilt like Steve Austin.

Hawk, I am trying to work on both of these, can you explain this step drill?

Sure. I can show you in Des Moines too. Give me a minute and I'll find a video I did during the Morgan Cup.

Sure. I can show you in Des Moines too. Give me a minute and I'll find a video I did during the Morgan Cup.

Awesome man. I am having some issues getting my weight shifted and I believe it is leading to swing bottoming out too early

Wow thanks dude. Seems like something that could really benefit me. I plan on hitting up the range Friday morning and spending a good chunk of time there.

I will be trying this for sure

I think you'll be very surprised at how solid you are hitting the ball with it. I was honestly shocked the first few times he had me doing it.

Just make sure you really do all the steps and don't rush your downswing before you get your weight planted forward. I can hit the ball almost my full distance while doing that drill. Honestly, I should just swing that way. I hit the ball much purer lol.

Dtak84 any thoughts on minimizing spin?

Sorry for such a late reply!

Outside of buying a new driver (different heads and shafts create different amount of spin), you could try flattening your driver swing a little. I say little because I don't know what your swing is like right now, but flatter could mean to draws or worse, hooks. If you already miss left, then stay away from this. Another thing to focus on, make sure you're catching the ball on the upswing. Catching the ball on the downswing with your driver leads to a little more spin, possible ballooning, and less distance overall.

I want to do both! Not on the same hole tho. Lol Is there anything wrong with that?

Fear the Sober Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that! It's the birdie part that's so hard to really get better at haha. Thankfully it gets easier when you get better at saving par from everywhere. (Tight wedge game!)

Played yesterday and was striking the ball wonderfully. Have still not practiced specifically putting, but then go out and have 30 putts. I guess I'm going to work on mainly chipping and short irons (need to hit a few more girs!)

Pretty awesome range session today. Made sure to do my pre-shot routine between shots and it paid off pretty nicely. Spent time 50/50 between full swings and pitch shots with the wedges.

Hawk, how did you come up with a pre-shot routine? I hear so much about the need for some consistent routine which initiates the entire shot sequence, but do you just pick the last set of things you did before you hit a good shot? I'm not trying to go all Nomar Garciaparra on it (if you member his routine before stepping into the batter's box)... but I do think that a routine would help with confidence at address..

Hawk, how did you come up with a pre-shot routine? I hear so much about the need for some consistent routine which initiates the entire shot sequence, but do you just pick the last set of things you did before you hit a good shot? I'm not trying to go all Nomar Garciaparra on it (if you member his routine before stepping into the batter's box)... but I do think that a routine would help with confidence at address..

Practice. Hit balls one by one very slowly on the range. When you hit a good one, remember what you did, and keep doing it. Over and over and over and over.

Mine is a just a couple short practice swings to get the feel of the swing I'm trying to make. They aren't full set-up/full power swings. Just trying to feel by body parts work in the right order before I address the ball. I typically pull off better shots if I do that because I don't have to think about what I'm trying to do. I just try to copy what I felt in the practice swing.

I'm sure Hawk will chime in with his thoughts, but for me my pre-shot routine involves a set step of actions that has evolved over the past 3 years playing. It includes thinking about the shot I want to play, alignment from behind the ball, stepping into the shot with everything lined up and ball position, waggle then fire. I think following the same pre-shot routine during range time as well on the course helps out with tempo and calms the nerves when on the course. I'm not sure a particular pre-shot routine is better than another because everyone is different and is working on different things.

Back