What the hell is wrong with Parents these days?

To assume how these kids were raised is wrong in my opinion. To pass judgement based on those assumptions, is wronger.

I guess we differ in opinions here. If it makes a difference, this is exactly what they are going to base the civil suit on that will surely and rightly be filled against the families of each one of these kids.

I guess we differ in opinions here. If it makes a difference, this is exactly what they are going to base the civil suit on that will surely and rightly be filled against the families of each one of these kids.

Can't get blood from a rock. These kids are living in a crime riddled low income neighborhood. It's highly possible none of them come from a two parent family. It's not an excuse, but most of these types of incidents happen in neighborhoods most THPers would be frightened to drive through, much less live in. It still bottles the mind. Milwaukee has seen a number of such incidents over the last five or so years. Last Summer alone there were two that turned into near riots where innocent bystanders were beaten by mobs larger than six which included kids as well as 20 somethings.

Life is hard in some places, which leads to a wide disconnect in behavior. I have no idea what the solution might be, but lots of jobs and less welfare, better schools, fewer teenagers having babies, and better parenting could no doubt contribute. It's hard for the schools to get better without the latter two. Milwaukee public schools are some of the worst in the nation, but you can't teach those that don't want to learn.

Kevin

Can't get blood from a rock. These kids are living in a crime riddled low income neighborhood. It's highly possible none of them come from a two parent family. It's not an excuse, but most of these types of incidents happen in neighborhoods most THPers would be frightened to drive through, much less live in. It still bottles the mind. Milwaukee has seen a number of such incidents over the last five or so years. Last Summer alone there were two that turned into near riots where innocent bystanders were beaten by mobs larger than six which included kids as well as 20 somethings.

Life is hard in some places, which leads to a wide disconnect in behavior. I have no idea what the solution might be, but lots of jobs and less welfare, better schools, fewer teenagers having babies, and better parenting could no doubt contribute. It's hard for the schools to get better without the latter two. Milwaukee public schools are some of the worst in the nation, but you can't teach those that don't want to learn.

Kevin

Very well said Kevin!

Kevin

This is happening Kansas City. I know the Kansas City School District lost their accredidation. It is very tough to convince students its worthwhile to attend school and pay attention when teachers dont care and their degrees will virtually be worthless. Something needs to change but I dont know what. I do know I thank my parents all the time that I attended a private prep high school

I'm hesitant to bag on teachers. Like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. It's hard to stay committed in a big city public school setting when kids don't show up, you're surrounded by violence and drugs, and you're working in an underfunded system. Hell, in Milwaukee, they have a residency requirement, so to teach in the district, you have to live in the district. Many teachers don't want their kids to attend school in the very district where they might be interested in teaching. Ask our very own Jman how frustrating being a teacher can be. If there was ever a guy with his heart in the right place, it would be him, don't you think?

There's not one reason that can be tagged as the cause of incidents like the one in the OP. Unfortunately, everyone doesn't live in the suburbs.

Kevin

Teachers and NBA Players need to have their salaries swapped.

I'm hesitant to bag on teachers. Like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. It's hard to stay committed in a big city public school setting when kids don't show up, you're surrounded by violence and drugs, and you're working in an underfunded system. Hell, in Milwaukee, they have a residency requirement, so to teach in the district, you have to live in the district. Many teachers don't want their kids to attend school in the very district where they might be interested in teaching. Ask our very own Jman how frustrating being a teacher can be. If there was ever a guy with his heart in the right place, it would be him, don't you think?

There's not one reason that can be tagged as the cause of incidents like the one in the OP. Unfortunately, everyone doesn't live in the suburbs.

Kevin

You make a good point dude, and one I didnt really think about. I feel like a lot of teachers do have their heart in the right place, and I know that I have had some teachers who would give anything to see their kids succeed, I guess it would be tough to teach when the kids dont care.

When we lived in LA I would not let my wife teach in the LA Unified School District, for these reasons. It is too frustrating to try and teach kids that don't care and who have no accountability.

This is absolutely unreal, I am in shock right now

"Two of the suspects are 13-year-old twins. Their mother, Latasha Alford, 32, said that while not excusing her sons’ actions, they did feel peer pressure to go along with the other boys."

Really? I dont think I would feel peer pressure to beat a dude with beer cans and kick and punch him repeatedly

Years and years ago, I handled a job where one brother stabbed the other because he "ate my milk."

When the mother responded to the precinct, amazing that she came to the precinct to see the perp son when her victim child was in critical condition in the hospital...

Anyway, guess what she demanded to know?

"Officer, what did you say to my son to make him stab my other son?

Really... great parenting there. Sadly, the victim died.

I don't know about the area or the parents but I'm sure when details about them come out there is a lot we can judge. But these kids are sick and I hope they are kept off the streets for years If not for the neighbor stopping them I think they would have beat the man to death. Cold blooded and no regard for life. Just sick

When we lived in LA I would not let my wife teach in the LA Unified School District, for these reasons. It is too frustrating to try and teach kids that don't care and who have no accountability.

Which goes back to parents!!!! imo

$100 that more than half of those kids involved don't have a father that lives in the house or is present in their life. It's sad really.

I think blaming the parents is a bit off base. Some kids have good parents, others bad. I had a friend who acted out and is now in jail, but had some of the absolute best parents in the world, who would do anything for him. On the other hand, I have had friends whose parents were a mess that are going to be very successful.

I am sorry but the kids should recieve the blame for this

Maybe the parents did TOO much? One of the bigger problems I see is that the parents want to be "friends" with their kids, or make sure they have everything. Now, I'm not saying you can't have a great relationship - you should! But sometimes, being a parent means being the "bad" guy, and making decisions that will benefit the child no matter how they may feel about it now. My philosophy has been " My job as a parent is to help you grow up and become responsible, well adjusted adults. If you are angry about someting I have done now, but you turn out like that, then I have done my job as a parent."

$100 that more than half of those kids involved don't have a father that lives in the house or is present in their life. It's sad really.

No way I'd take that bet. Good thing in this society kids don't "need" a father... :banghead:

Honestly how can't you blame the parents? They live in a low income area because their parents choose to live there. The choices parents make effect their children, hence why you see less of these kinda actions taking place by individuals childrens who grow up in a home with two college educated working parents. If the parents display quality characteristics than the majority of the time it will rub off on the children.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2

What's in it for me, lazy, rather be a friend, government restricted discipline, technological apathy, divided parenting time share, and the list could go on and on.

Quality of life, income status, geographical location, demographic hypocrisy can all be used, but in the end....being involved and giving support can make the difference. The old saying "Back in my day we would walk up hill both ways barefoot in the snow to school", actually referred to something. Get off the phone, couch, internet and go spend some time with your kids!

Just sayin....

this is a dumb thread.

Back