What weight driver shaft do you play? Why?

Around 70. Started playing heavier from a recommendation from a fitter. I like how they feel. Long and lightweight is just harder for me to control.

60. It's a 3/5 fairway wood shaft measuring 43.5" :)

I tend to play best with an 80-90 gram shaft and cut to 44.5" in length. The original Bimatrix Proto was my favorite shaft of the 40 or so I have played. Just can't find those very easily anymore.

Lighter the better for me. Anything that can help me generate a faster swing speed and higher launch is a good thing. Currently playing the Matrix Radix HD 4 at 48.5 grams.

Currently gaming a 72g shaft. I had a 62g prior to that and on good hits it was fine but with mishits the spin numbers were to high and it would cost me distance and dispersion was off. Switched to the 72 gram, spin numbers went down on both good and bad hits. Carry distance went up and dispersion came in. My miss went from a slice to a slight fade.

All things considered at this point in time the lighter the better as long as what I am feeling is not bull whippy. Currently play Miyazaki C Kua 39 which weighs around 45 grams or so, but that shaft is only perfect for me in the S flex. Also game A stock speeder 57 in my SLDR, that one feels in my wheelhouse in the R flex and weighs around 58 grams.

I like lighter weight shaftsand they have improved my driving a lot from what is was with heavy shafts, my favorite is hard to pin point but UST has several that I fit well with.

I don't have a ton of experience here, but I know it starts to feel "boardy" to me above 70g or so. Right now I'm playing 61g and absolutely loving it. Other driver's I have or have played in the past pretty much all have shafts that fall in the ~60g range, so that's pretty comfortable for me. Not opposed to lighter though, just haven't tried it.

I recently switched to a ~65 gram shaft in my driver on a whim, and made better contact than I ever have. I don't know if it's a swingweight or total weight thing, but it just worked for me.

Just as it states, what's your pleasure?

For me, I want the lightest that fits me the best, had a TON of success with a 42g shaft lately, I'm not a big believer in the weight and tempo thing, to me its more getting the swing weight right.

I'll play whatever gives me the best results. Right now it's 68g Matrix Red Tie. Swing weight and being able to feel the head throughout the swing is what's most important to me.

I play 70g

I love something at around 65 grams, my Aldila NV 65 is one of the best shafts I've ever swung in a club, it won't work in all of them though lol.
NV 65 is a great shaft for the money. My fitter told me no wonder I liked it because the stiff was the exact right CPM for my swing.

Aldila RIP Phenom 60 because I was fit for it by Wilson Staffs tour guys.

Last edited:
Somewhere around 57-58 and regular flex seems to work for me best. My driver swing speed is 90 +/-.
My two "go to" drivers both have the UST Mamiya Proforce V2 5 shaft in regular flex. It's cheap, ugly and I don't leave home without it.

65 gram. It works, so I use it.

I play everything from 59g to 78g but i prefer something in the low 70's or high 60's.

Good question, I've been floundering for a while with a different shaft every week. A range session or simulator numbers is only a starting point, I play the shaft for a week or so. This past week it was a white board S flex in 60 grams, the week before a TT Bimatrix S at 65 grams, before that a RIP Phenom R at 50 grams. I'm back to the ProjectX 7C3 6.0 at 73 grams. The worst for me was the RIP and the best seems to be the PX which I've used a couple of years. I'm still not satisfied and will keep trying shafts, I'm thinking R flex in some of the heavier shafts. Maybe something will click soon.

I play the 60g shafts now and find I get the most success out of them. I prefer the weight and feel although I am always open to trying new things.

I've dropped down to 64 grams from 75, I found that I get a little more speed through the hitting area without giving up too much control.

I'll play whatever gives me the best results. Right now it's 68g Matrix Red Tie. Swing weight and being able to feel the head throughout the swing is what's most important to me.

I totally agree. I've got 55gr & 65gr shafts and just recently hit very well a 75gr. For me it really depends on being able to feel the head.

Currently playing a 65g shaft. It has some weight to it, but I feel like I can control the ball much better. Although I want to experiment with shafts because I feel my ball flight is too high for my appeal. I prefer to see a boring flight that rolls

I've extensively and effectively played driver shafts anywhere from the 63g (?) Bassara to the 100+g Nunchuk. I'm presently playing a 76g RIP Beta with great success.

I generally prefer heavier shafts but there are lighter versions that work for me. Whatever works, I hold no prejudice. ?

96g UST V2 X, with another 8g on the head.

Last edited:
I am playing a 60G KuroKage in my BioCell driver and I really like the feel of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually prefer in the 70s, but am dabbling with a couple in the 60s, now.

Back