What weight driver shaft do you play? Why?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Just as it states, what's your pleasure?

For me, I want the lightest that fits me the best, had a TON of success with a 42g shaft lately, I'm not a big believer in the weight and tempo thing, to me its more getting the swing weight right.

I play the stock 60g that came in my R11s. Honestly I havn't ventured out into the land of aftermarket shafts, but maybe I should as my driver is the weakest part of my game.

I feel like light gets out of control for me. I play a 65g shaft now but I really like the PWR75 shaft from Ping.

72g - just felt the best.

I have another driver coming today (BC+) that plays to 67.5, so I would say in that weight range feels good to me.

My driver shaft weighs 58g. I play it because that was the stock shaft and I've had success with it. I also have a 50g shaft that I switch in occasionally and it plays just fine too.

I'm open to change, but have mostly played something in 60's the last two years. Like you, SW is more important to me.

• Staff
I'm open to change, but have mostly played something in 60's the last two years. Like you, SW is more important to me.

Yeah, I think too many that don't like light are cases of slapping a shaft in and not swing weighting it, I really do.

I am going to be completely honest - I am completely in the dark as to what swing weight is and how it effects feel

Mine is 66g and I'm playing it because it's what I was fit into.

Not opposed to lighter or heavier - just want to play what shows the best results for my swing.

Right now I'm playing a 72g shaft. I've been fit into heavier shafts for the driver, but this weight feels comfortable to me.

Swing weight is where my golf knowledge is lacking. I understand the principles, but never paid attention to it as it pertains to my swing.

In terms of shaft weight I'll go as light as I can. I've been playing the stock Fubuki in my BB & that's right at 60g if I'm not mistaken. Anything in the 60's I'm usually ok with.

66 grams because that is the shaft that gave me the best numbers. We were asked what weight and flex shaft we play by Callaway for the #Grandaddy so it will be interesting to get fit and see what their thoughts are as far as shaft weight.

I'm curious to see the replies on this thread. I played with a pro that had a Titleist with a 85-gram shaft, X-stiff. I hit it a few times and loved the trajectory and control. I've had a Ping V2 Rapture since it first came out; I've cut it to 43.5" and I love it. I'm considering a Ping i25 for longer courses, and I'm thinking about that 75-gram shaft it offers because of that single experience with the 85-gram shaft.

Anyway, I really am looking forward to the replies!

My current shaft is 64 grams. I was fit into it by a madman that had no clue what he was doing (this is my opinion and NOT fact)

Mine is currently a 57 gram shaft and it feels good for swing. I like a heavier head with a middle of the road shaft weight. It feels like a good piece of sweet potatoe shuffle during Thanksgiving dinner.

I tend to stay in that 60 gram range. Although I do have a B Asha that I play that is low 50's.

I'm at 65g and was fit into it. I like this weight range for the most part.

Currently playing 60g, I have never been fit or anything, just the stock shaft in my Bertha.

I'll be interested seeing what I'm fit into next month.

66g. Ish.

I'm in the mid to high 60s. Anything heavier and I feel it takes away some swing speed. Wish I knew anything about swing weighting though.

I love something at around 65 grams, my Aldila NV 65 is one of the best shafts I've ever swung in a club, it won't work in all of them though lol.

My last shaft was at 72grams because that's what it came with and I never got around to changing it. My best results are coming from shafts between 60 and 65 gram x stiff I have the most comfort with that weight class.

70-80g is my preference. I like a swing weight of D4-6 on my drivers and use a heavier grip and lots of tape. Using a 70/80g shaft combined with everything else gives me the ability to feel where the head is in my swing.

I tried lighter shafts and heads with a swing weight of D4-6 but the total weight didn't feel right. On the launch monitors I started losing distance from not being able to hit the center of the club.

I like mid 60's helps me keep swing under control but also give me a little more speed

I've been gaming 51g to 77g. Im good anywhere I that scope

Back