What's the longest club you hit off the turf?

What's the longest club you hit off the turf?

• Driver

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • 3 wood

Votes: 103 61.3%
  • 5 wood/3 hybrid

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • 3 iron

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 4 hybrid

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 4 iron

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 5 iron

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 6 iron

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

CBaker

2024 Team Hackers #FailsatFive
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So between PhillyV's thread on longest iron you're comfortable with, and Kevin Na hitting driver off the deck twice that I saw yesterday, I thought this might be interesting.

What is the longest club that you have confidence hitting off the deck? Might not work out every time, but you're confident behind the ball with it.

I am comfortable hitting any fairway wood off the turf, but a 4wood generally gives me the most carry.

Sadly 5I as my game has been brutal this year and my ability to hit fairway wood (even the heavenwood) and hybrid off the deck has been BRUTAL

3w is about my limit. have never tried to hit driver off the deck and don't have any intentions of it either

Don't hesitate at all to hit a 3 wood (or 4 wood) off the deck at all.

The only time I even consider hitting driver off the deck is during a scramble when we've already got one in play. Otherwise, on my own ball, it's not something I consider.

I voted 4 iron, but accidentally pressed 4 hybrid instead :comp:

I'm scared of skying metal woods and irons are just as good for me to hit. If I need to hit a metal wood into a green with my distance, I'm either A) pushing in a match play situation; B) Am positive nothing can go wrong when hitting up on a par 5; C) hit a really​ bad tee shot and I need a bail out.

I can hit up to a 3 iron off the deck and hybrid successfully, but it's not the most comfortable shot for me to execute.

Longest for me is definitely 3w and I can't say I do it all that often. I tried to hit driver just for fun a few times and simply couldn't do it lol its damn hard

3 wood, but to be totally honest I don't always actually make contact with the ball.

For me its a 3W. In a scramble I have hit driver off the deck. But during normal rounds I won't do it. I love hitting my 5w off the deck but won't hesitate to hit 3w off the deck if it's needed.

3 wood. I love mine and sometimes I like hitting it better than my driver

4 wood, or a 3HL as TM calls it.

Driver, it's hard to draw but I can play a low chasing cut.

5W off the deck. Driver? No way - in the old days of persimmon this might have worked if you swung like Jack, but today's drivers have the sweet spot above the center of the club. 3W? Not for me.

I can hit driver off the deck, but very rarely see the need. 3 wood be the choice for me. Though I don't hit many 3 woods.

3 wood - I probably get less carry than hitting 5 wood honestly, or at least equivalent, but it rolls out pretty hard so I end up getting more distance overall. If I'm 230-240 out and there isn't too much trouble, I'll generally take a crack at it, and every so often it'll chase right up there.

Driver, no way. I've tried it a few times, miserable failure each one.

3W has worked well for me, I have tried hitting the driver off the deck but quickly realized that I do not have the talent for that shot.

I happen to love my fairway woods and they are very consistent in their distance and flight. Have no qualms unleashing a 3 wood from the fairway and only shy away if there is a forced carry. Now if I'm in a light rough I would switch to the 5 wood.

I'll take driver off the deck all day. Had two great shots with it in the inaugural Morgan Cup.

5 Wood. Never have I gotten along with a 3 wood of the deck but I can hammer a 5 wood of the turf off all day long. Not sure if it's mental or what but I hit most every 5 wood I have in my hands further than any 3 wood. Just way more consistent with it.

I'll take driver off the deck all day. Had two great shots with it in the inaugural Morgan Cup.

You sir, are man lol

3 wood with my current setup. I use to have an old Callaway Big Bertha Warbird that I could hit off the turf, but no more.

I have been known to hit driver off the deck with good results . Think skibumgolfer has video of me doing just this. But for me my 3 wood is the most comfortable

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I can hit driver off the deck, but very rarely see the need. 3 wood be the choice for me. Though I don't hit many 3 woods.

I doubt you're left with enough out to ever need 3w haha

3 wood but I have been known now and then to go at a long approach with a driver, with mixed results of course.

Back