Where do you line up or tee it up?

Depends on if the tee box is nice and flat....if it is then I try to base mine on the shape of the hole....I am not near good enough to draw or fade the ball on command.

This does make sense. I guess I just line up on the right side and play my draw starting on the right edge - unless I can't. Sometimes I take it a little too far out on the right side before it comes back, but not that often. I feel setting up on the right side gives me room to miss if I hook the bejeebus out of it. Also, I tend to exaggerate my stance open or closed if I'm aiming from the opposite side like that. It's all mental, but it's definitely there.

Mentally, if you are playing a draw, as a right hander, lining up on the right might make you pull it back into play. On the left side it allows your mind to swing out and release the club. Are there exceptions, sure. But you'd be surprised at how much more freely you swing without a mental road block.

It's a visual thing I guess for me. I like to get a straight line to my target from the tee, unless there's an obstacle in the way.

I generally just try to find the flattest spot I can. That said, if given the option, I usually go to the right side of the tee box since I tend to fade the ball.

This is me

Mentally, if you are playing a draw, as a right hander, lining up on the right might make you pull it back into play. On the left side it allows your mind to swing out and release the club. Are there exceptions, sure. But you'd be surprised at how much more freely you swing without a mental road block.

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I've been working on eliminating the pull from the draw and it's been going surprisingly well. I do see what you are talking about.

My buddy One-T helped me fix this last year. Left marker of the tee box, with my feet outside the set up area. Play my fade. Fairways all day.

First, I'm a lefty, so it is opposite for me, but it depends on the hole. If there is something that I really want take out of play, I will typically tee it up on that side of the tee and play for a specific shot.

Example... a course I frequent, #2 Par5 (589 YDS). It's a slight-dogleg-left with a lateral hazard on the left as well as a large bunker (in the 220-240yd area). I will tee the ball on the far left of the tee, aim to the extreme right side of the fairway and play for a fade (even a slice).
Its pretty amazing how 10'-15' can change the viewpoint on some holes and on other holes while on oth holes, it doesn't really matter.

Not so much about draw or fade as about which side the trouble is on.

I used to get as close as I dare to the right marker, aim as far left as my mind will let me and let the sli...errr power fade fly. Since my drives have started to straighten out I still go all the way to the right marker, but I just don't aim near as far left.

I usually tee it up on the left side of the tee box , I need all the room on the right as possible so i can tell my ball to TURNOVER . Works well most times but then there are the times when golf balls just don't have ears.

I usually tee up on a flat spot if I'm not trying to avoid trouble other wise I change ball position for fade straight or draw.

I always line up on the same side of the box as the most trouble off the tee, aim away from the trouble for a straight shot.

i play it wherever its flat.

Depends what type of shot i try to hit and where the trouble is. Usually if im playing for a draw i tee up on the left side, if im playing a fade the right side and if im trying to hit it straight im usually in the center.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

I tee up to the left side of the markers. I tend to hit a big fade, with a slice mixed in to keep me honest, so I overcompensate. Danny showed me something I was doing when we played at Riverchase & has really helped straighten me out.

I'm going to give it a shot this weekend. I've been working on eliminating the pull from the draw and it's been going surprisingly well. I do see what you are talking about.

I know it's in my head, but setting up on the left side really didn't work for me over the weekend. I just have a hard time keeping my stance neutral and end up really closed off - which gives me a big left. I figure I need to work on it with some alignment sticks or something.

The first thing I look for is a spot in the tee box where I can take a stance and my feet are on nice level ground and not standing in divots or uneven ground.

i just usually look for the best and most level spot that i feel comfortable to adress the ball regardless of which side. If on a par three and I'm a tad too short for my club I will then move few feet back for the extra yard or two to help with club distance and then find most comfy spot there. I believe we have two club legnths to do that? Embarrassed to say I dont even know if that still the rule or ever really was? Thats the only time I'll do that because I really want to rspect the efforts at maintaining the tee boxes.

Yep, two club lengths, which is a lot of room. I use that quite often if the box is tore up.

T, you ask the hardest questions!?!?!?
I can relate to the "flattest place on the tee box" comments. At times that does impact my choice. If the tee box area is flat, I choose the spot based upon my desired ball flight for the tee shot. If I'm playing a draw (right handed), I tee it up on the left hand side of the area; the right hand side for a fade.
Don't forget, you also have 2 club lengths behind the markers to work with if that is beneficial to you.
Thanks Tadashi!

I'm pretty traditional and play a draw from the left side of the box and vice versa for a cut. Sometimes that just doesn't set up to my eyes and will change. Usually will end up moving to the middle.

My tee position is determined by 3 variables....
1. Trouble or hazards
2. Wind
3. Angle or layout of the hole

Yep, two club lengths, which is a lot of room. I use that quite often if the box is tore up.

torn up boxes are the main reason i'll only do that when I feel really neccessary as mentioned to gain couple yards due to iron distance on a p3. I dont want to tare up more of the box to help better conditions next time i play. lol . But realy I do think about that stuff

Back