Where to tee it up in the USA in August?

El Bandito

Reaction score
Handicap
13 ish
Hackers of Paradise! A UK based hacker needs your help. I am lucky enough to be coming to visit the mighty USA this coming August. I am coming on business to Dallas and Denver. Not necessarily in that order. My plan is to tack on a few leisure days to the trip where I can get myself onto a golf course or two and play a few rounds. Preferably in the company of some fellow THPers!

First, I thought of taking on some courses in the DFW area. A friend of mine, who hails from San Antonio, gently reminded me that if I wanted to play Golf in Texas in August, I might definitely want to rethink my preference for walking the course. I think the phrase she used was "hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut". Hmmmmmm....being of the portly persuasion, this advice seems to be good. Denver? From what I can gather, whilst humidity is less of an issue a mile high, it still gets pretty darn hot up there...

So, I got to thinking, as my company is very kindly paying to get me across the pond, maybe I should shell out a little of my own cash and fund some internal travel within the US. Now, if I am going to travel internally, where should I go? Where should I play that I may never have the chance to play again?

Like most Golf fans, a lot of this year, Georgia has been very much on my mind....but unless somebody has Bill Gates' cell number and is owed a favour, The dream of Augusta is going to remain just that, a dream. A quick glance at the weather map also indicates I might need a new shirt per hole....that looks humid in August. So, I thought, South Carolina? Hilton Head! Hmmmmm...huuuuumid again. Florida? TPC Sawgrass? Medinah, scene of one heck of a Ryder Cup up Chicago way? New York? Washington? Or what about that golfing Mecca of Pebble Beach and its surrounding legendary courses with a refreshing pacific breeze....

You guys just have so much to choose from and so many courses!

So, where should I go play? I would like to walk the courses if possible. I would like to play at least one 'legend course'. If I could avoid collapsing in a dehydrated mess, that would be good! I am thinking I might arrive at my destination on Friday evening, play Sat, Sun, Mon and go transatlantic back to blighty on Tuesday ( or Wednesday if I can get permission from the War Office!) and hopefully get to tee it up with some fellow THPers (and hopefully get to raise the odd glass of something chilled.....)

All advice greatly received!

If you want to be able to walk the golf, I would definitely choose somewhere up north. You could try to get on at Bethpage Black. That would be an awesome course. Just pull up a list of the top public courses in the country and have a look at where you'd like to go.

stay away from hilton Head if your concerned with the heat and humidity, all though to play Harbor Town might be worth it

Isn't there a THP Invitational in August? That's always fun.

Well, if you like walking Whistling Straits has no cart paths.

However, in August, there aren't a whole lot of places that aren't humid. I'm not sure why a cart is out of the question though.

It's hot and humid pretty much everywhere east of the Mississippi in August and going north won't help that much. Nothing a little water can't cure though!

So many places to go that I'd struggle to suggest just one or two. Definitely let people know in advance as I'm sure plenty would like to meet and tee it up with you.

Being from the Pacific NW, my immediate thoughts were Bandon, Chambers Bay or even the greater Portland, OR area, which has some fine big time courses.

But upon further review, I think I'd go to the SF Bay area, rent a car and head to Pebble. Hit Alistair McKenzie's Pasatiempo (another top 100 course) on the way. Find the threads on THP which clue us into the hidden gems in that area and be sure to play them, too. The weather should be much more pleasant along the CA coast than in many regions of the country. The travel/drive won't be too outrageous (see Bandon). And Pebble very clearly meets the legend course criteria.

Chambers Bay in Seattle hosts the US Open in 2015, and that area should be nice in August, fwiw. More like what you're used to

Keep yourself hydrated, have some good sunblock and a change of clothes on hand, and I'd say play wherever you want even though it's humid. Take the chance to go the Invitational if you can.

The humidity might be uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it.

Being from the Pacific NW, my immediate thoughts were Bandon, Chambers Bay or even the greater Portland, OR area, which has some fine big time courses.

But upon further review, I think I'd go to the SF Bay area, rent a car and head to Pebble. Hit Alistair McKenzie's Pasatiempo (another top 100 course) on the way. Find the threads on THP which clue us into the hidden gems in that area and be sure to play them, too. The weather should be much more pleasant along the CA coast than in many regions of the country. The travel/drive won't be too outrageous (see Bandon). And Pebble very clearly meets the legend course criteria.

Pasatiempo is great if you want to tick it off the "played it" list. As nice as it is, it's over priced for what you are getting in this area though. For Pebble and Spyglass, etc August on the Monterey peninsula is a crap shoot as far as whether or not you'll be playing in coastal fog or a perfect day. Move just a bit inland and it's perfect. I am always available to take anyone around to some great courses if they are in the area.

And on that note I'll add that Rob is blast to get a round in with

Well, if you like walking Whistling Straits has no cart paths.

However, in August, there aren't a whole lot of places that aren't humid. I'm not sure why a cart is out of the question though.

Certainly would not rule anything out, least of all a cart. As a preference, I feel that I play with a better rhythm walking and I get a better 'feel' of the course. That said, climate I'm used to, a cart is much less necessary!

Almost exact advice I had from a colleague here who is from Santa B...he pointed out that the drive itself was worth the trouble...

Keep yourself hydrated, have some good sunblock and a change of clothes on hand, and I'd say play wherever you want even though it's humid. Take the chance to go the Invitational if you can.

The humidity might be uncomfortable at first, but you get used to it.

Good advice...and taking on fluids is a talent of mine :)

Pasatiempo is great if you want to tick it off the "played it" list. As nice as it is, it's over priced for what you are getting in this area though. For Pebble and Spyglass, etc August on the Monterey peninsula is a crap shoot as far as whether or not you'll be playing in coastal fog or a perfect day. Move just a bit inland and it's perfect. I am always available to take anyone around to some great courses if they are in the area.

Hmmmmm....interesting! RR I may well look to do all of the above! A combination of 'tick' exercises and some 'real' golf. Pasatiempo doesn't look cheap, although in terms of some of the courses here, it is not too bad. The Monterey Peninsula, thanks for the warning! That said, I'm not sure i could resist rolling the dice if I was that close.

Where would you choose to tee it up inland?

I definitely need to start some research!

I've been told the Kohler courses up in Wisconsin are a good place to be in August.

Hmmmmm....interesting! RR I may well look to do all of the above! A combination of 'tick' exercises and some 'real' golf. Pasatiempo doesn't look cheap, although in terms of some of the courses here, it is not too bad. The Monterey Peninsula, thanks for the warning! That said, I'm not sure i could resist rolling the dice if I was that close.

Where would you choose to tee it up inland?

I definitely need to start some research!

I can make your dice rolling a lot easier if Pebble is on your mind since we locals just call 24 hours in advance and take whatever slot we can get. You still have to pay the green fees but the usual mandatory 2 night stay in the lodge is not required where it is necessary when trying to book in advance. That way, you can wake up Friday, check the weather for Saturday and make a game time decision. If the coastal marine layer is hanging around you can go a little inland to Carmel Valley and play a few of the nice courses there or up the road near San Jose to play something there. Or out to my nice little course in the country where all you hear are the sounds of golf shots and red-tailed hawks.

East coast, I would seggest Bethpage in NY, Greenbriar in W. Virginia, some other places in New England would be nice as well...warm but usually on the water so might have some decent coastal breezes.

I can make your dice rolling a lot easier if Pebble is on your mind since we locals just call 24 hours in advance and take whatever slot we can get. You still have to pay the green fees but the usual mandatory 2 night stay in the lodge is not required where it is necessary when trying to book in advance. That way, you can wake up Friday, check the weather for Saturday and make a game time decision. If the coastal marine layer is hanging around you can go a little inland to Carmel Valley and play a few of the nice courses there or up the road near San Jose to play something there. Or out to my nice little course in the country where all you hear are the sounds of golf shots and red-tailed hawks.

Mental note...buy Rob lots of drinks at the Vegas outing and get his phone number for eventual trip to Monterey.

@ Bandito: I have played Pasatiempo once. I agree that it is a bit steep for what it is, that it lives off it's McKenzie pedigree a bit. But it is a fun play and if you are in the area and like to play top rated courses, well here is your chance :)

Last edited:
Mental note...buy Rob lots of drinks at the Vegas outing and get his phone number for eventual trip to Monterey.

Yes on both counts. :)

@ Bandito: I have played Pasatiempo once. I agree that it is a bit steep for what it is, that it lives of it's McKenize pedigree a bit. But it is a fun play and if you are in the area and like to play top rated courses, well here is your chance :)

Agreed. And the first tee is 2 miles from my front door so after the round there's always drinks and bbq at my place.

Wow. Having just checked the green fee...I can see why a foggy day represents one heck of a risk! For that sort of cash, I guess I would kind of like to actually see where my ball went! So, whilst shamelessly exploiting your local knowledge...where is my plan off beam?

1. Depending what time I can get to San Fran on the Friday, either get myself a room or hire a car.
2. I drive down highway 1, either marvelling at the view or peering through the fog
3. I find myself a decent inn/hotel to serve as base and then weather-dependant plan some golf...hopefully a round on 'a legend', a round with the red-tailed hawks and a round somewhere else...
4. With a head full of memories, a belly full of good food, and a mild hangover, I head back up to SF to catch a plane

So, continuing the shameless exploitation theme (I'll buy the beers after you have kicked my butt round a golf course!)

1. Where would be a good place to base myself, a decent bed and walking access to some bars?
2. Have you played the peninsula courses? Any favourites?
3. You free for a round around the weekend 10/11 August? (PGA weekend)

Wow. Having just checked the green fee...I can see why a foggy day represents one heck of a risk! For that sort of cash, I guess I would kind of like to actually see where my ball went! So, whilst shamelessly exploiting your local knowledge...where is my plan off beam?

1. Depending what time I can get to San Fran on the Friday, either get myself a room or hire a car.
2. I drive down highway 1, either marvelling at the view or peering through the fog
3. I find myself a decent inn/hotel to serve as base and then weather-dependant plan some golf...hopefully a round on 'a legend', a round with the red-tailed hawks and a round somewhere else...
4. With a head full of memories, a belly full of good food, and a mild hangover, I head back up to SF to catch a plane

So, continuing the shameless exploitation theme (I'll buy the beers after you have kicked my butt round a golf course!)

1. Where would be a good place to base myself, a decent bed and walking access to some bars?

I can probably make a lot of this much easier and cheaper for you. I'll pull a few of your points here to show you how.

My house. Hotel style accommodations and walking access = down a flight of stairs to the wine cellar plus some pretty damn good food.

All of them (except a few of the ultra private ones).

Pebble and Spyglass are excellent but very expensive.

Bayonet and Blackhorse are very nice and very good values, but busy.

My home course, San Juan Oaks, is the one with the hawks, falcons, eagles and all sorts of other animals. That's a favorite just because of how much of a hidden gem it is.

Pasatiempo, being so close, can be done for half price if you get lucky and grab an afternoon time on golfnow. Being so close to my place makes that pretty easy.

There's numerous others to mention as well.

See previous answer to #1. :)

Fly into and out of San Jose and you won't even need a car. I'll pick you up.

There - the money I've just saved you on hotel and car = a round at Pebble Beach.

Yes. Maybe we can turn over a rock and find another couple of THPers to complete a foursome, should you decide to make a trip of it.

If THP still had the rep feature Rob's account would be getting lit up faster than a penny slot machine in old town Vegas. As it is, and bringing this back to Vegas, Rob's first round is on me for this awesomeness. Wow.

Apparently my first visit to California will have to include raiding Rob's wine cellar

I'm late to the party, but was going to suggest the Monterey Peninsula as soon as I read your post. I've played over there in the summer and it is AWESOME. Now, keep in mind that where I am it's 100+ July-September, so even if I hit a 60-degree foggy day over there, I'm happy as can be.

Bayonet/Blackhorse is the best value over there of the ones that I've played. Mid-week rates are good too. I haven't played any of the Carmel Valley courses yet, but have friends who really like Quail Lodge and I'm hoping to get a round in there soon. Spanish Bay is probably the best deal at Pebble Beach since Poppy Hills is still going to be closed this summer. I'm actually in the process of planning a trip and green fees are posted at $265 right now. Pacific Grove is one of the top public courses in the country as well, not because the course is incredible, but because of the setting. It's often referred to as the poor man's Pebble Beach.

Anyway...if you head this way and you and Rob have room for another player, I'd love to drive over and join you for a round or two at any of them!

Pacific Grove is one of the top public courses in the country as well, not because the course is incredible, but because of the setting. It's often referred to as the poor man's Pebble Beach.

Pac Grove is nice but it's still a muni course and the conditions reflect that. However, the setting right there on Monterey bay is exceptional once you get to the back nine.

Spanish Bay is probably the best deal at Pebble Beach since Poppy Hills is still going to be closed this summer. I'm actually in the process of planning a trip and green fees are posted at $265 right now.

Spanish Bay is nice but coming from the UK, I'd say he'd prefer something other then a crazy hard links style course. I'll take him somewhere with actual trees and stuff.

Anyway...if you head this way and you and Rob have room for another player, I'd love to drive over and join you for a round or two at any of them!
Love to have you Eddie! And if you want to road trip it to Vegas I'll swing by Fresno and pick you up on the way.

Back