Who are the PGA Tour Stars?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Started discussing in another thread but this deserves its own. If you've tuned into any non signature PGA event this year you've probably noticed a lack of star talent in the field. Even when there are couple in the field they underperform. JT and Spieth, Rory, all underwhelming.

We all know multiple "stars" have left for LIV and that contributes to the lack of big names in the fields but it begs the question...who are the PGA Tour Stars right now?

if by "stars" we mean big names then it's still the JT, Speith, Rory, etc that it's been. If we mean the people actually doing well week after week then it's probably limited to Scotty as the rest are so up and down.

There are great golfers. Almost zero personality..

Hovland might be star material. Not sure he is there yet.
Xander could be a star, but needs a major
Max needs to win more, but has personality
Cantlay is just no.
Morikawa? It looked like it early on, but just no.
Hideki? Maybe?

Man, when you go through the list on OWGR, you realize how lacking they are in star department.

Not many right now but certainly a few names I think we can all agree are fun to watch, especially if they're on the leaderboard.

Nobody is Tiger and isn't that the true level of stardom we expect? probably never going to happen again, time to accept that, golf is golf.

But that's the beauty of the PGAT, new stars can come at any time, how many knew the name Cam Smith before just a couple of years ago? none, even Jon Rahm is a fairly new name in the game, so yeah, it's a fluid thing golf stardom, and I like that.

Man, when you look at who left and the star power, it stings.
Even the ones that werent winning had huge star power.

• Admin
Its sad really, at least to me.

Scheffler at least is on the leaderboard when he plays
JT - headcase?
Spieth - thought he was turning a corner but guess not
Xander - not really
Morikawa - not sure what happened to him
Homa - potential, likeable guy, needs to win more
Cantlay - Zero personality
Rory - can't even contend in a weak field
Finau - something is missing. All the talent in the world but can't win
Hovland - potential is there but definitely in top 10 at this point probably

PGA feels like its in trouble

Hovland might be star material. Not sure he is there yet.
Xander could be a star, but needs a major
Max needs to win more, but has personality
Cantlay is just no.
Morikawa? It looked like it early on, but just no.
Hideki? Maybe?

Man, when you go through the list on OWGR, you realize how lacking they are in star department.
It is more lacking anything personality. Xander even if he played well will struggle in the star category because he is boring. Same with Scottie.. He is just boring.

It is more lacking anything personality. Xander even if he played well will struggle in the star category because he is boring. Same with Scottie.. He is just boring.
Add Cantlay to that mix as well.

Its sad really, at least to me.

Scheffler at least is on the leaderboard when he plays
JT - headcase?
Spieth - thought he was turning a corner but guess not
Xander - not really
Morikawa - not sure what happened to him
Homa - potential, likeable guy, needs to win more
Cantlay - Zero personality
Rory - can't even contend in a weak field
Finau - something is missing. All the talent in the world but can't win

PGA feels like its in trouble
The tour is dead.. But not because of play (mostly). I think you take the top 10 of the PGA and top 10 of LIV. The PGA probably wins that event. But, they are lacking in riz.

While true, winning changes that. I mean nobody outside of TX thinks Spieth is super exciting. He's about as vanilla as it gets. But won a lot before ******** himself, so became a star.

This is such a tough call.

Go the popularity route, and I’d say Rickie, but he never materialized performance wise.

A guy like Jim Furyk won a lot back in the day, but was he ever a star? Is Scotty now?

I said in that other thread I’d struggle to name 15, and now find myself tongue tied before I even get started.

Who else is there even with potential?

Clark?
Aberg?

While true, winning changes that. I mean nobody outside of TX thinks Spieth is super exciting. He's about as vanilla as it gets. But won a lot before ******** himself, so became a star.
Spieth is in " just another guy" status these days.. JT has personality but I cant stand him because he comes off as a punk to me.. But when he is playing well, he is exciting and fun.

The tour really lost all the villains and club slammers.. I miss that. It is all just boring vanilla on the tour. Feels like they are all out there on antidepressants. Zombies on the course that show nothing be it a good shot or bad. Your get a cap tip or a shrug.. I want fist pumps and club tosses.

Clark?
Aberg?
Wyndum? meh.. Aberg might be a star at some point, but he isnt there yet. I dont think he has played since being in contention at pebble were Clark won on a technicality. (I know he played Riv, but you wouldn't know it).

Hideki is interesting but not at the same time. It is tough because he never says anything.

Spieth is in " just another guy" status these days.. JT has personality but I cant stand him because he comes off as a punk to me.. But when he is playing well, he is exciting and fun.

The tour really lost all the villains and club slammers.. I miss that. It is all just boring vanilla on the tour. Feels like they are all out there on antidepressants. Zombies on the course that show nothing be it a good shot or bad. Your get a cap tip or a shrug.. I want fist pumps and club tosses.
Exactly. I want Joel Dahman helicoptering his shirt after his playing partner makes a birdie! well ok, maybe not that extreme, but that kind of personality. Since that event I've found myself trying to find him and Higgs (no longer has a card :cry: ) on the leaderboard every week.

Clark?
Aberg?
Aberg is the guy who could be, I just hope he doesn't go the Morikawa route and has brilliance but then is having whatever happened to him happen.

Tiger, Speith and Rory and Ricky are the first that come to mind but then I also think of Rahm, Dechambeau and Brooks even though they are not technically on the PGA tour atm.

There are great golfers. Almost zero personality..
Adds additional questions as to who has personality and do they contend and win enough. The answers currently: very few and no.

The biggest name near the top of the weekly tour stop leaderboard is the biggest start on the PGA Tour.

Nobody is worth watching when they're not in contention.

The tour is dead.. But not because of play (mostly). I think you take the top 10 of the PGA and top 10 of LIV. The PGA probably wins that event. But, they are lacking in riz.
You lost half of the last what, 30 majors in a quick swoop. That is hard to overcome.

Rahm, DJ, Bryson, Brooks, Sergio, Poulter, Phil, Cam Smith, Reed, Bubba are all stars. Regardless of results.

Then you add in the talent they have now with Niemann, Gooch, Ancer, Hatton, Leishman, Louis O, Varner, Tringale, etc

Those tournaments have much better fields currently in terms of draw.

How ******* sad is that.

It depends on the definition of star.

How many people can pick Tiger Woods out of a line up.

Now how many people can pick JT, Rory, or Spieth out of a line up.

The tour is lacking a major star who is universally recognized. I dont think anyone on tour right now has the right amount of personality and game to be considered a star. I think they lost the only hope in Jon Rahm.

Adds additional questions as to who has personality and do they contend and win enough. The answers currently: very few and no.
We’re talking about golf here, the odds of getting a winner with a personality are close to zero haha

Back