Who are the PGA Tour Stars?

Wyndum? meh.. Aberg might be a star at some point, but he isnt there yet. I dont think he has played since being in contention at pebble were Clark won on a technicality. (I know he played Riv, but you wouldn't know it).

Hideki is interesting but not at the same time. It is tough because he never says anything.
Hence the potential part of it haha.

Hideki I like but again seems like a great guy, but not much in personality dept beecause of language barrier IMO

It depends on the definition of star.

How many people can pick Tiger Woods out of a line up.

Now how many people can pick JT, Rory, or Spieth out of a line up.

The tour is lacking a major star who is universally recognized. I dont think anyone on tour right now has the right amount of personality and game to be considered a star. I think they lost the only hope in Jon Rahm.
I'm talking about guys we know, guys who contend regularly, guys you want to watch play golf. There aren't many currently and to use the phrase even bad pizza is good pizza...the same can not be said for the guys on tour at moment because when I turn on the tv on the weekend looking to watch some golf and end up saying who are these ******* guys then its a big problem

You lost half of the last what, 30 majors in a quick swoop. That is hard to overcome.

Rahm, DJ, Bryson, Brooks, Sergio, Poulter, Phil, Cam Smith, Reed, Bubba are all stars. Regardless of results.

Then you add in the talent they have now with Niemann, Gooch, Ancer, Hatton, Leishman, Louis O, Varner, Tringale, etc

Those tournaments have much better fields currently in terms of draw.

How ******* sad is that.
Yeah, I agree.. The tour really is the "boring old white guy tour" at the moment..

Yeah, I agree.. The tour really is the "boring old white guy tour" at the moment..
The best thing that LIV ever did was make sure the players play in every event.

The best thing that LIV ever did was make sure the players play in every event.
You can do that when you have 12 events. I think they are allowed to miss 1 or 2. I have said for years. Even before LIv. The tour had too many events.

I'm talking about guys we know, guys who contend regularly, guys you want to watch play golf. There aren't many currently and to use the phrase even bad pizza is good pizza...the same can not be said for the guys on tour at moment because when I turn on the tv on the weekend looking to watch some golf and end up saying who are these ******* guys then its a big problem
You could have said that about half the weeks of the pga tour season before LIV existed

You can do that when you have 12 events. I think they are allowed to miss 1 or 2. I have said for years. Even before LIv. The tour had too many events.
There are 14.

What constitutes a star other than playing great golf consistently, aside from (multiple?) major wins? I don’t tune in to watch a guy act like Hatton when he screws up a shot, or otherwise act the fool.

I'm not really sure there is a true star in the entire men's pro golf landscape right now.....

For me "stars" and "top talent" are two separate buckets. Not many on the tour make it must see tv for me. I'm a Spieth fan, but even I can concede he isn't moving the needle in non major tour stops.

The only one who could rocket to the top with some wins and a major would be Fowler. A lot of people seem to be ready to explode with his success and move him up the ranks.

You could have said that about half the weeks of the pga tour season before LIV existed
I disagree. At least in weaker field you knew who the guys were for the most part. Several times this year I tuned in only to find a leaderboard full of guys I've never heard of. Feels like I'm watching Korn Ferry or something

The tour is dead.. But not because of play (mostly). I think you take the top 10 of the PGA and top 10 of LIV. The PGA probably wins that event. But, they are lacking in riz.
As a point of reference , the US team
Did lose to the Euro team in Ryder Cup so that maybe up for contention …..🙂

Fwiw, I really don't want to watch any professionals on either tour golf.

For me "stars" and "top talent" are two separate buckets. Not many on the tour make it must see tv for me. I'm a Spieth fan, but even I can concede he isn't moving the needle in non major tour stops.

The only one who could rocket to the top with some wins and a major would be Fowler. A lot of people seem to be ready to explode with his success and move him up the ranks.
Fowler is an interesting one. He's shown glimpses and if he could string a few together he would absolutely skyrocket but I would argue even if he isn't winning I'd consider him a "star" on the tour. He is a guy people want to watch and do well. If I see his name on the leaderboard I'm definitely tuning in.

Adds additional questions as to who has personality and do they contend and win enough. The answers currently: very few and no.
Iam starting to think that it’s most improbable that you can have a lot of both …. In the broader sense of the view
Personality and Performance. Yes there will be an outlier ( Tiger ) but l am of the view , that behaviourally bland is more sellable in sponsor land and doesn’t offend anyone … society is heading more so that way …

Hovland, McIlroy, Scheffler, Morikawa and Spieth are stars. I think Jake Knapp will be.

Hovland, McIlroy, Scheffler, Morikawa and Spieth are stars. I think Jake Knapp will be.
Knapp is Cameron Champ 2.0. Came on the scene and won right away. Was in contention a couple times early and then disappeared. I think that will happen here.

Fwiw, I really don't want to watch any professionals on either tour golf.
I have to ask. If you don't want to watch any of it, why the effort to engage in threads about it?

Knapp is Cameron Champ 2.0. Came on the scene and won right away. Was in contention a couple times early and then disappeared. I think that will happen here.
Cameron who? :ROFLMAO:

Cameron Young is another guy who just can't get it done.

As a point of reference , the US team
Did lose to the Euro team in Ryder Cup so that maybe up for contention …..🙂
I would still currenlty put my money on PGA tour guys winning. I think they still have the best golfers. Even if they are boring..

There is a few things that I think are causing me to bored with golf. This is how I view it so YMMV.

1. NIL. Allowing the current tour players actually show personality and an inside view will help generate fan favorites. They don't have to go play with influencers and things like that but the Tour needs the players to actually show some personality in their own way. If that means the players can make a little change on the side so be it.
2. It has been happening for years but everyone is taught the same way and using the same methods to get around the course. There are no real personality and flair in a lot of the golf that is being played.
3. I love data and I use data to make me a better golfer. I think shot tracers are awesome and some of the data really helps show how amazing the golfers are. The problem is that I feel, similar to my 2nd point, the numbers chasing is taking away the artistic nature of golf.

The tour is dead.. But not because of play (mostly). I think you take the top 10 of the PGA and top 10 of LIV. The PGA probably wins that event. But, they are lacking in riz.
Ya most weeks that talent level is higher on the PGAT. It just doesn't seem that way because LIV has very recognizable names all playing. Which is probably more important for success.

Think the Netflix series helped. Joel dahemn turned into a notable person after it.

Rory, Fowler, tiger, and Scottie are probably the only stars.

Think the Netflix series helped. Joel dahemn turned into a notable person after it.

Rory, Fowler, tiger, and Scottie are probably the only stars.

And all of them are super uninteresting. Scottie at least has the wild swing going on. Rory, Fowler, Tiger ( does he even play)? are all snooze buttons.

Back