Who are the PGA Tour Stars?

And all of them are super uninteresting. Scottie at least has the wild swing going on. Rory, Fowler, Tiger ( does he even play)? are all snooze buttons.
What do you find interesting?

Golf has always been a good 50/50 mix for me of who is playing and what event/course are they playing. Im pretty sure an entire field of no name players could show up at The Masters and we are all still watching it. But now I find myself watching PGA Tour events for different reasons. Betting, courses and then the players in a 50/30/20 mix.

To answer the original question, Rory and Tiger are the two biggest stars for the PGA Tour. Golf Channel preview shows are very different when those two are in contention (hell, even just when Tiger is in the field).

What do you find interesting?
passion, emotion, frustration. all of those things.. People showing what could be perceived as having fun or caring..

And all of them are super uninteresting. Scottie at least has the wild swing going on. Rory, Fowler, Tiger ( does he even play)? are all snooze buttons.
Joel cracks me up but Scottie is a wet blanket with a weird swing other than that nada.

I would still currenlty put my money on PGA tour guys winning. I think they still have the best golfers. Even if they are boring..
Heading into the next iteration ?

Ironically I was just scrolling Instagram and saw this.

There is a few things that I think are causing me to bored with golf. This is how I view it so YMMV.

1. NIL. Allowing the current tour players actually show personality and an inside view will help generate fan favorites. They don't have to go play with influencers and things like that but the Tour needs the players to actually show some personality in their own way. If that means the players can make a little change on the side so be it.
2. It has been happening for years but everyone is taught the same way and using the same methods to get around the course. There are no real personality and flair in a lot of the golf that is being played.
3. I love data and I use data to make me a better golfer. I think shot tracers are awesome and some of the data really helps show how amazing the golfers are. The problem is that I feel, similar to my 2nd point, the numbers chasing is taking away the artistic nature of golf.

I think these are all spot on. Some of the blandness could be alleviated by course setup. You want to see more guys show some passion and emotion? Get the rough up, narrow the fairways, and dry out the greens.

next iteration of what?
Ryder cup? You said you would put money on US team winning , they lost the last Ryder cup …. ( I would imagine that was the best top 10 talent ) I only use this as reference as it probably the only time that volume of talent plays against each other .

Ironically I was just scrolling Instagram and saw this.

qualifier for LIV is a bit much.. There are some serious dogs on LIV... Zinger is just salty he is no longer there.

qualifier for LIV is a bit much.. There are some serious dogs on LIV... Zinger is just salty he is no longer there.
He isnt really wrong though is he? I mean outside of a handful, it would appear that every guy is available.
The kicker here is that they weren't until Jay went behind the players backs and tried to cut a deal.

It appears as though if they want someone they are available. On the surface anyway.

The top ranked players are not going to play in the non-signature events. Which is going to lead to watered down fields and leaderboards that only golf sicko's recognize. Bay Hill this week is a signature event and should lead to a better field. Pebble Beach being made a signature event gave it the best field in years.

Ryder cup? You said you would put money on US team winning , they lost the last Ryder cup …. ( I would imagine that was the best top 10 talent ) I only use this as reference as it probably the only time that volume of talent plays against each other .
The PGAT has more than Americans. Rory, Hovalnd, Fleetwood, Aberg would all be on the team. All top 10 players.

I disagree. At least in weaker field you knew who the guys were for the most part. Several times this year I tuned in only to find a leaderboard full of guys I've never heard of. Feels like I'm watching Korn Ferry or something
my gut reaction would be if you tuned into events in Jan-Feb (outside of WM and Genesis) is you would have said same thing in years past

He isnt really wrong though is he? I mean outside of a handful, it would appear that every guy is available.
The kicker here is that they weren't until Jay went behind the players backs and tried to cut a deal.

It appears as though if they want someone they are available. On the surface anyway.
That was the same before right? It just took the right money offer? Rory has jokingly said he was going to join LIV. Wouldn't that be something?? lol.

I guess my point is there is no qualifier for LIV. I guess other than "are you interesting" Otherwise AK, Caleb Surratt, and many other wouldn't be there. So I guess my hang up is the work qualifier or qualification. Because for LIV, there isn't one really..

EDIT

I will say this.. If you have won a major and or are exempt into them. Why would you not leave for LIV? You get the best of all worlds..

I think Fowler, Scottie, Rory, JT and Spieth are kinda the big "name" guys. Like, my wife knows who these people are.

Morikawa and Hovland and guys like that are close.

The problem the tour has is getting these guys to play the same tournament. I have very little interest in watching 2 out of those 6 play against a field of mostly guys who were hobos the previous week.

I kind of feel like the Tour is back into the the 2010's again. Post Tiger and lot's of young guys who just hadn't made a name for themselves along with some old guys who had some fans but no star power. It's going to take major success and time to build new stars so we'll see how it goes. The majors are going to be the proving ground from here on out. Everyone will tune into those 4 events so it's a chance for both leagues to market themselves and promote their own events.

How long do they keep writing those checks though? Also those contracts are all limited so not only do they have to write them if they want new talent, but I assume guys like Koepka, DJ, BCD, etc are going to want another one at the end of 2025 when their first one runs out. There's an old saying in stocks to not bet against an irrational market because you may run out of money before it turns rational, and the PGA Tour may well fall pray to this, but eventually there has to be rationality in the financials of professional golf right?

How long do they keep writing those checks though? Also those contracts are all limited so not only do they have to write them if they want new talent, but I assume guys like Koepka, DJ, BCD, etc are going to want another one at the end of 2025 when their first one runs out. There's an old saying in stocks to not bet against an irrational market because you may run out of money before it turns rational, and the PGA Tour may well fall pray to this, but eventually there has to be rationality in the financials of professional golf right?
That's the thing. If LIV becomes the big dog tour, which it is not close to right now, then why would they offer big checks anymore. The founding members of the LIV tour should have the higher sign on bonuses because they took the risk. The big talents that you talk about wanting another check are the team "owners" so they don't need another check. They need to drive their team profits.

As a start up the checks were written. Like anything, early adopters got the big portion for taking the risk.
Its the biggest disruptor in the world of sports we have seen possibly ever.
Guys arent getting hundreds of millions to continue playing, generally speaking.

They are competing for huge dollars.

I'm a believer in Cause & Effect. Professional Golf has been having problems since the announcement of LIV. Here, we're searching for, and trying to rationalize current PGA "Stars". Why, because the golf stars no longer play on the PGAT. That's garbage IMO. The talent of the PGA players is incredible. I guess they have to have a likable, marketable personality to become "Stars" in golf. I'm not buying it.

I don't watch every tournament but I do pay attention, and I may watch most. They're all stars to me. I love this game, and I love to watch guys who can do what I can't.

The division of tours has harmed this sport on so may levels!

Look, the tour got spoiled with Tiger and Phil. Great golf, drama, and some on course personality...
Now we have some really good golf, little drama, and no consistent winners with on course personality.
That's where we're at.
JT doesn't win enough
Spieth is enjoyable, and has the on course personality, but doesn't win or contend enough.
Rory doesn't contend or win enough.
Scottie, nice guy, amazing game, weird swing and not the most engaging to watch.
And those are the biggest names on the PGAT

Edit to add: It's almost unwatchable on network TV due to commercials and "playing through"

I'm a believer in Cause & Effect. Professional Golf has been having problems since the announcement of LIV. Here, we're searching for, and trying to rationalize current PGA "Stars". Why, because the golf stars no longer play on the PGAT. That's garbage IMO. The talent of the PGA players is incredible. I guess they have to have a likable, marketable personality to become "Stars" in golf. I'm not buying it.

I don't watch every tournament but I do pay attention, and I may watch most. They're all stars to me. I love this game, and I love to watch guys who can do what I can't.

The division of tours has harmed this sport on so may levels!
This brings up another question.
The talent is certainly there, maybe not in dominance, but nobody can question the talent of the PGA Tour.

How bad is their coverage then, if for years we have been saying they have to create new stars, and they still havent even shown an interest in doing so?

Back