Why Do You Carry What You Carry?

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
There has been a lot of talk lately as to why we selected our current wedge setups. Some of us carry 3+ wedges, some do not. This has lead me to think about why we setup our bags the way we do. I opted to carry an extra wedge instead of a 5 wood or another hybrid. I felt that adding a LW would be better for my game instead of another long club which are not my most consistent clubs to hit.

Most of the Pros we see on TV usually have their bags set up: Driver, 3W, 5W/2I/2H, 3-PW, SW, LW, Putter. There are of course several exceptions to this. I on the other hand go Driver, 3W, 3H, 4-PW, GW, SW, LW, Putter.

So why do you have your current setup the way it is? Why carry one club instead of another? I think it might be interesting to see why we do what we do.

Well my set up has just recently changed to Driver, 2H, 3H, 4-GW, SW, LW putter, After driver I love the accuracy of hybrids (especially the mashie) and I love to have some versatility in the short game.

It's just the way it's panned out over time. I carry driver, 3w, 3-PW, Sw, lw and putter. I have room for one more at the front, and don't plan on getting anymore wedges. I tried combinations of wedges lofts over the years and landed 54 and 58 working the best for me. Tried a mizuno fli-hi 2, and never could hit it right, plus the shaft snapped, so I never got it fixed. Need to put something in there, but don't know what yet. Plus, I can't really afford much, I buy clubs like every 5 or 6 years. My irons have been with me for 6 years, and the wedges just about as long. the driver is newer, but the putter right now is the newest. I've never been on a launch monitor or been fit for anything, I just play what feels right to me, and don't really go by distance on the course as much as feel. Probably why I'm such a high handicapper, but, I don't have much time for practice or money for things like lessons or club fitting, let alone changing out my clubs.

my original set up when I first started playing was more geared towards distance....D, 3w, 5w, 4i etc because I couldn't hit it very far but now I've found my current going more for accuracy than distance. Actually I think I've got 'manageable distance' combined with accuracy now...

I just went to Driver, 3 wood, 3H, 4-PW, 52 56 60. I want a long alternative on the tee so I just threw the 3H in my bag instead of a 5 wood because I don't like hitting a 5 wood off the tee. My wedge setup I converted from 54, 60 about a year ago. I needed a good 115 yard club and the 52* does that for me. Besides that it's all pretty basic.

D, 3+W, 17 Hy, 22 Hy, 5-PW, 50, 54, 58 degree wedges, putter. Have never hit a 5w good, so I prefer a 17 hybrid. Never really hit a 3 or 4 iron consistant, so I like a 22 hybrid. 50 wedge is for 100-120 yards. 54 is for bunkers, 75-100 yards, and greenside chipping. 58 is for flops and shots I need lots of spin. Putter is to putt. HAHA

I dislike using irons above a 6 so typically end up with a 3rd hybrid over the "standard" bag. I also find that 4 degree loft spacings work the best for me so tend to set things up like that (the one exception is that I ended up with 5 degrees between the PW and GW).

D, 4w, 3h, 4-pw, gw, sw, lw, putter.
I went this direction to best fill distance gaps. There is still a big one between the d and the 4w but manageable. There used to be 30y between the 4w and the 3 iron. So I put in the 3h and that tool the gap down to 20y.
I played most of the previous 3 years with only 13 clubs. The gw is the newest wedge. Again mostly for consistent yardages gaps.

In my old set of clubs I played Driver, 3w, 5w, 3-pw, putter. In my new set I'm currently playing a Driver, 3h, 4h, 4-PW, AW, SW, Putter. I was originially getting an M3, but after hitting an M4 side by side with my 4i it was a no brainer to take that out of my bag as well.

I still plan to add 1 other club, and even though I keep leaning towards an M1, I think I might end up with one of the new Cleveland woods or perhaps a Callaway razr hawk or diabo octane 3w. I might even be looking at a 4w, because the 17* appeals to me being easier to hit and get up.

I use D, 3W, 2/3/4h, 5-PW, GW, SW and of course a putter!

I've switched my setup a little bit, I swap my three wood/4h/60 wedge from time to time. But I've just been the most inconsistent with my 60 degree wedge. I feel the most confident with my 3h and it'll have to break before it ever leaves the bag!

Driver 9.5* Hybrird (14*, 19*) 4-9 iron pw 45* Gw 52* sw 58*

I switched out my 3w for the hybrid due to the wind out here in the summer time. A lot of short holes are made much more dangerous because of the wind. I found my 3w was getting too high off the tee and therefore was getting destroyed by the wind. The 14* hybrid comes off a little lower and I can work it better too.

edit: I also like to carry a little extra weight around the belt area. The reason for that is I can't say know to all the buffets out here in town. :D

I have a D, 5W, 7W, 9W, 5H, 6-PW, GW, SW, LW, and putter. After a lot of trial and error it's what works best for me.

I carry a D, 3w, 18*hybrid, 19*hybrid, 4-SW and a 50* wedge

The 18* hybrid is new this year because my 19* Raylor was great out of the rough but challenging on the fairway.

The wedge is a perfect gap between my 46*PW and 54*SW that came in my set and I am most comfortable chipping and pitching with it.

Currently I have Dr, 3w, 4h, 5-PW, GW, SW, LW, putter. Going to add a mashie between my 3w and hybrid probably this year.

Just started using 3 wedges last year, needed a bit more help around the greens so I picked up a 52,56, 60 set. Adding another hybrid should help me close the gap between my 3w and current hybrid, up until this last year I didn't have a 3w either so I was missing quite a bit at the top end.

Last edited:
driver, 3 wood utility, 20* hybrid, 4-PW, UW, SW, LW Putter..... hate carrying 4 wedges. Working on sand shots with my CG12 58 in order to get rid of the eye 2 sw, but that thing is just so good.....

I go Driver, 3w, 3h, 4h, 5-PW, GW, SW, LW, Putter

I like the extra wedge, and I used to play only a 3h (and not a 4h), but when I got a new Ogio bag with 4 wood/hybrid compartments, it was someone upstairs telling me that I could use the extra consistency of the 4h...it's worked out well for me thus far!

driver, 3 wood utility, 20* hybrid, 4-PW, UW, SW, LW Putter..... hate carrying 4 wedges. Working on sand shots with my CG12 58 in order to get rid of the eye 2 sw, but that thing is just so good.....

I'll take an eye 2 wedge off your hands if you don't want it. :D I don't know why but the eye2 irons were ugly yet pleasing to the eye at the same time if that makes sense.

My bag is set up like this...

Driver, 3wd, 3h, 4h, 5-9 iron, pw, 52*, 56*, 58*, putter.

I have it set up like this due to my length off the tee, whether it's with the driver or the 3wd.
I've always been pretty long off the tee, so my long irons never got much work.
Since I took out the 3 and 4 iron and added the 2 hybrids, my game has improved quite a bit.
I have also fallen in love with the 4 wedge system over the last few years which has helped as well.

I seem to always go to extremes. I have been known to carry more than 20 clubs and as few as 6. Right now I have only 8 clubs in my bag. Slowly weening myself off of my wedge habit. Lol

I will swap out wedges and occasionally drop the 5W for the 3h depending on where I'm playing. I can hit the 3h a little better off the deck than I can my 5W. Aside from that I haven't changed my setup in quite some time.

I carry a SW (54*) an LW (60*) because 4 wedges is just too many for me. I also don't have confidence hitting a 3 iron so I carry a 20* hybrid. I liked the Nickent's so I added a 17* in the place of a traditional 5 wood.

There has been a lot of talk lately as to why we selected our current wedge setups. Some of us carry 3+ wedges, some do not. This has lead me to think about why we setup our bags the way we do. I opted to carry an extra wedge instead of a 5 wood or another hybrid. I felt that adding a LW would be better for my game instead of another long club which are not my most consistent clubs to hit.

Most of the Pros we see on TV usually have their bags set up: Driver, 3W, 5W/2I/2H, 3-PW, SW, LW, Putter. There are of course several exceptions to this. I on the other hand go Driver, 3W, 3H, 4-PW, GW, SW, LW, Putter.

So why do you have your current setup the way it is? Why carry one club instead of another? I think it might be interesting to see why we do what we do.

I have 4 degree gaps all the way thru my bag. I pay no attention to what any of the pro's carry. After 35 years of playing, I know what works for me.

I dont carry a hybrid because Ive never been able to find one that I hit all that well.
I carry 3 wedges because I like having more options in the shortgame. I like being able to hit high shots, low running shots and I like being able to hit a big ole flop shot that goes straight up in the air and stops where it lands. In instances where I dont have a lot of green to work with, a flop shot is a nice shot to have in the bag. Some people think that you should carry a lob wedge unless you are a highly skilled player, but I disagree with all that. IMO, a lobb wedge is perfectly fine, you just need to practice with it a bit more to be good with it.
My irons are what most people would call, "blades" (not sure I agree that they are true blades though) and I play them because I like the way they look and I like how they feel. I much prefer a thinner sole, thinner topline and slightly smaller head to some of the big, clunky, oversized, "shovel" GI irons that you see a lot of people using.

I'm not sure I need anything else in my bag right now. I've got the driver, 3 wood (which I HATE!!!), 7 wood (which I love), 4h Mashie, 4-PW, SW and a LW. The BF has a GW but I'm not sure I need one. I may do away with my PW :confused2: I tend to use my SW for chips and 9i, but hardly use the PW. My lowest club is my LW. And I'm not sure I need a GW. And I'll probably take out my 4i but who knows what I'll replace it with. Maybe another hybrid :confused2:

I carry a driver, 5w (18 deg), 3h, 4h, 5h, 6i-AW, 54, 58, putter. I haven't found a 3 wood I hit well. My 5 wood is an Adams fast 10 and I hit if off the tee when hazards are too close to hit driver.

Back