Why do you change clubs so often?

This is a great post. I agree with you 100% Frank and I too struggled with the early portion of the OP. This person that appears to be passing judgement ("shaking head"), has done the exact same thing frankly. He has irons that are new. He is currently forum testing ATV wedges and bought one himself and they are new. Why? Did his previous irons not work out as well?

I believe that some make changes too often. I really do. But I also believe that is part of the love for them and that judgement should not be passed because they are enjoying the game of golf the way they do, which might be different than how someone else does. As long as they love the game, that is all that should matter.

Well, it appears I owe you an apology for offending you as well. I've said it numerous times on the forum, I am a straight shooter and blunt guy, but more sarcastic than anything...I guess it just doesn't translate online sometimes. Sorry for that, I'm honestly bummed out that I offended you and Frank. Although it appears I offended some on here, I am still happy I made the thread...I got the answers I've been looking for for years. It makes more sense to me now, and I am relieved that the reason is because it's fun, it's enjoyable, it's a hobby, it makes the game better for you on a personal level, and so on...not like the club hoarders I know from real life, who have point blank blamed swing flaws on their clubs repeatedly.

For what it's worth, I changed to i20's because my MP37's were 7 years old and were worn beyond belief (see below). Plus, I finally got over the ego aspect of wanting to have blades and realized that having a more forgiving iron would benefit me greatly, while not losing much of anything in terms of feel or workability. My 54° wedge that was replaced was 11 or more years old, and the 50° I purchased was to fill a gap. I dropped my 3 iron when buying new irons, and have never owned a 50° previously. My driver in my bag is over 7 years old, my 3 wood is 10 years old, my hybrid is 7 years old as well.

aadb9c9a.jpg

Asks the man with the i20 irons.

If your handicap continues to go down, who cares how you get there. If you can afford them why should anyone have a say in that. Someone ask me once how many sets of clubs I have had in my life. Answer, as many as I wanted.

See above. Also, I don't "care", I was curious...so I posted the question,.

OP, so why did you switch to the latest Ping irons and KBS shafts? Better numbers?

For me it's fun to try all of the different designs and styles of irons. I'm trying to leave the bag alone for at least 3 years at a time, but it's tough with Roger dunn being so close by.

See above.

Thank IH, its nice to come on and respond. Much appreciated.

IHWT, I'm positive that there was no poison in your post. But you knew you were opening Pandora's box on this one right? (that was a joke and not a statement) I think that your answer 90% of the time on here is gonna be that shiny clubs are good clubs. And as we know newer clubs are shinier! That's my mindset anyway. I truly wish I could get over it as I'm starting to think it's a bit of a sickness.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

Thanks, COLT! I did know what I was getting in to (heck I mentioned it in the OP), I just didn't want to offend people with my tone the way I did...I guess I need to be more mindful of my sarcastic bluntness in text when addressing people I've never met that don't know me personally, as it may be perceived in a way I do not intend for it to.

As for having a club addiction, it's probably one of the better addictions to have...after all, it could be heroin or something terrible instead, haha. At least golf clubs don't effect your health (well, maybe mental health and stress levels...but whatever). It's fun, and it won't kill ya...win, win.

Thank IH, its nice to come on and respond. Much appreciated.

Absolutely, I wish I had seen it sooner. Work has been killing me, busier than I've ever been, and just sat down to catch up on the 7 pages. Kind of took me back when I saw it.

I will disagree with you and say this, new clubs do make me a better golfer. How can that possibly be true you ask? It's simple really. I buy a new club, and I go and spend hours on the range working on my swing while hitting my new piece of pride and joy. Would I orcould I go to the range anyway? Sure, but with a new driver, or wedge, or whatever, it makes it a little more fun. JMO
Very true. Whatever it takes to get you to the range, or play a little more or whatever. If it's new clubs that do it, more power to you! I love hitting new stuff.

It's the nature of what I do here, but in all honesty, there are many times that I am not excited to switch clubs.

That being said, I think the allure of new equipment is one of the joys of the game for many people, including me.
This, it is just very very fun for me to test out different clubs, shafts etc.

This, it is just very very fun for me to test out different clubs, shafts etc.

Exactly. It makes me happy, so I do it. Simple.

If one has the means to, then why does it matter?

I fired off harshly at Brandon (IHWT) on his original post because I did take offense to it. Since then he has reached out to me, saying that it was not his intent to offend anyone and offered a great apology. I did the same for my post. I would like to thank him publicly for that. I think he is a good THP'er and hope he continues to offer help and guidance to those of us who need it.

Exactly. It makes me happy, so I do it. Simple.

If one has the means to, then why does it matter?
Exactly bud. The one thing I DO NOT change for at least 2-3 seasons is my irons. I always stick with irons for 2-3 seasons.

Bro hugs are awesome.

Also, I don't "care", I was curious...so I posted the question.
Thanks for the post IHT. It is easy to get flamed on forums. It is really big of you to put out the fire. I am glad your curiosity was sated.

So, I've been toying around with the thought of creating this post for quite some time...but, I have held off as I was afraid it would be taken in the wrong context. Alas, here I am typing this, and here is the thread. What the hell is going through some of your heads with all the equipment changing? haha

All sarcasm aside, I am asking truly from a curiosity standpoint. I am just looking to better understand it, I guess? To me, it is a very interesting phenomenon...I can't wrap my head around how the thought process wouldn't be to find properly fit clubs that you like and grow with them, and into them. Build some rapport with them, love them a little so they can love you back.

My cousin is the same way as a lot of people here. I went on a road trip to his bachelor party this weekend and was paired with 3 of his friends during a morning round of golf on the trip. I asked "So, is Jon still buying new clubs a few times a year looking for the answer to his dogsh!t golf swing?". They all laughed and nodded. They told me he had 2 sets of irons in his trunk this morning and was in the parking lot trying to decide which set was right for that day's round. Really, dude? When you're swing is not fine tuned...one club set isn't any more right "for the round" than the other. But I digress, his buddies and I got into a good general conversation about the club ho'ing habit; something I would like to have with all of my friends here at THP who share this same passion for purchasing new clubs. A lot of their group of friends are this way...to me, it just doesn't make sense.

For me, it is very simple: Get properly fit, and past that if you can hit one club successfully, you can hit them all. Sure, you might prefer one over the other, or see slightly better numbers with one set up over another; but if it is anything dramatic, you likely didn't do your homework when purchasing the other set in the first place. What it boils down to, IMO, is that outside of small variances here and there, you're either good with them all, or the opposite is true.

I see the masses here (and in real life) changing this, changing that, buying this to replace that, and so on. Why? Do you expect the club to make you better, or is it just a habit/addiction? Serious question here.

Personally, and I hope this does not offend anyone as I do not intend for it to, nor should my opinion matter to you whatsoever...but personally, I find myself shaking my head a lot while reading some threads. It seems as if a lot of golfers are searching for the answers through new clubs, and often times this is even explicitly stated. "Oh, well I am hitting all shanks with xxx club so I am going to run to Golf Galaxy tonight after work to buy this. I am certain a new xxx club with xxx shaft will give me more GIR's." False, a shank is a swing problem, not an equipment problem. Same with blocking shots right, hooking them left, topping them, or chunking them.

If purchasing is the "search for the answer to the golf swing you want", more power to you, I honestly mean that. I often times have passing thoughts on "Man, I would like to pick one of those new xxx clubs up", but 99.9% of the time I don't. Why? To me there is no true added benefit.

In closing, fellow THP'ers...please enlighten me on how you believe the club is going to fix your swing that is producing the shots you aren't happy with? Or, is it just simply a matter of grasping for straws and using new clubs to keep the hope alive?

Now let me throw a few disclaimers out to avoid the obvious responses. If you're an 18 and playing hard to hit irons, 1) yes, switching to forgiving irons will help, but 2) you made a bonehead move when you purchased the first set.

I have not been on this site long but this is by far the best post I have read!

I think golf is seperated into 2 groups honestly. The group that wants to lower their handicap year over year and those that just want to enjoy the game, if they get better so be it. The second group is who I see buy the most new equipment in my groups on a weekly basis. I don't think one is right or wrong just an observation.

Most pro's hardly ever change equipment despite what anyone from a manufacturer says and they have access to it all. William Mcgirt on the range yesterday said his driver is 2 years old he hits the new rbz longer but still hasnt changed but may this week. Steve stricker and his broken driver, ricky fowler just found a driver he likes, snedeker still searching for a new one after his old one broke and the list goes on.

I think money on lessons would go further than a new Ping driver but thats just my opinion.

^^^ Woot woot, at least someone liked it hahah :bananadance:

I fired off harshly at Brandon (IHWT) on his original post because I did take offense to it. Since then he has reached out to me, saying that it was not his intent to offend anyone and offered a great apology. I did the same for my post. I would like to thank him publicly for that. I think he is a good THP'er and hope he continues to offer help and guidance to those of us who need it.

Thanks for the post IHT. It is easy to get flamed on forums. It is really big of you to put out the fire. I am glad your curiosity was sated.

Thank you guys, much appreciated. I mean that.

I have skimmed through this post and first let me say I think its an interesting topic. Being one of those people who loves to buy new stuff I wanted to chime in. I started this game a few short years ago and bought a boxed set of inexpensive clubs. They were fine and I probably could still be playing with them...some days I probably should still be.

As I started to get more interested in the game and how this club was supposed to better than that club I bought into the hype big time but my appreciation of the game also grew into an addiction. After getting hooked on this site I started to become more informed about clubs, shafts and fittings and found out most companies make great clubs. I could have stopped at probably my 5th set which was a set of Adams A4 OS irons, but didnt because I percieved the latest technology would help my game which on ocassion it has.

Overall, I enjoy the hunt for the elusive ultimate club, despite knowing it doesnt exist. I have learned a ton from the great people on THP and its a a joy talking about the new clubs that are introduced and reading about how excited someone is when they get new sticks. I think everyone has their "thing" I am just fortunate that other people enjoy the same "thing" as I do and willingly share their appreciation of this game.

I've got a friend, NO REALLY, who I give grief all the time saying he belongs to the "club of the month" program. He is constantly buying new clubs for this, or that. Some never make it past the driving range. He's even lent a couple to me for me to try. I'm playing the same clubs that I bought 3 years ago when I first started. Still trying to get consistent at breaking 100, but I know a club is not going to solve my problem. My 15 year old on the other hand did benefit from new clubs. He was hitting the same brand of "custom made" clubs that I had ordered for both of us. He played on his highschool golf team and made varsity as a freshman. After the season was over, he had saved some money and wanted a new set of irons so I told him we could try some. He tried the new AMPS, Mizuno MP 53's, some Titleists and Taylormades. He was hitting all of his 6 irons about 165. The Mizunos he was hitting 185 consistently. We bought him a used set on ebay and in this case, it did make a difference in his game. The good thing is that while he was test driving them I told him that I was watching the screen which was behind him and he was consistently hitting with a slight fade. He said "I am?", made an adjustment and then every shot after that was perfectly straight or had a little draw. I hate that kid!! Wish I could do that. Most of the time, the problem is the swing, but sometimes new equipment CAN make a difference in your game. The key for it to work that way is that you have to be consistent in your swing and ball striking. Repeatability is key. Unfortunately for me, I'm not that consistent so my original set of clubs will have to work for me until my game merits a new set.

I have skimmed through this post and first let me say I think its an interesting topic. Being one of those people who loves to buy new stuff I wanted to chime in. I started this game a few short years ago and bought a boxed set of inexpensive clubs. They were fine and I probably could still be playing with them...some days I probably should still be.

As I started to get more interested in the game and how this club was supposed to better than that club I bought into the hype big time but my appreciation of the game also grew into an addiction. After getting hooked on this site I started to become more informed about clubs, shafts and fittings and found out most companies make great clubs. I could have stopped at probably my 5th set which was a set of Adams A4 OS irons, but didnt because I percieved the latest technology would help my game which on ocassion it has.

Overall, I enjoy the hunt for the elusive ultimate club, despite knowing it doesnt exist. I have learned a ton from the great people on THP and its a a joy talking about the new clubs that are introduced and reading about how excited someone is when they get new sticks. I think everyone has their "thing" I am just fortunate that other people enjoy the same "thing" as I do and willingly share their appreciation of this game.

Well said, SMG. Sometimes I do wish I was more of a ho, as I really enjoy the chatting about pondering, or picking up, this and that. However, since I am a loyal club owner...I live vicariously through Jman, Buck, and the like haha.

I will admit I do get new club envy from everyone who is always picking new stuff up. I'd love to do that, but I know that for me and my goals, it would be counterproductive (personally).

To the guys who said they do a club or two a year, I might move more towards this...just for the sake of enjoyment. You can only take this game so seriously. Irons and wedges will probably be safe for a while, as those are the clubs I really grow into a comfort level with, but getting a new stick (driver, 3w, hybo) once a year wouldn't be too terrible for me. As my driver, 3 wood, and hybrid are all 7 years or older, I know I will be replacing these three next season...or at least I plan to try to.

Good post IHWT

If you are a golfaholic, resistance is futile. Given the amount of money golf manufacturers spend on advertising (more than R&D), we are an easy prey. Every year we are presented with clubs that are longer and straighter, meanwhile handicaps are a flat line.

IMHO, 2 things factor in improving your game. One, lessons and practice. Two - proper fitting especially in respect to shafts.

Switching your equipment often is probably counter productive. Buying stock equipment only leads to many more variables. As I mentioned in another post, I purchased a Razr Fit with a stock stiff shaft. Once tested the shaft performed like a regular graphite shaft.

If properly fitted at purchase I think changing your equipment every 4-5 years makes more sense. The extra money you spend in custom fitting your equipment is less than what you would spend changing 2 or 3 clubs per year.

I change my clubs very often because I couldn't just settle on 1 set. Eventually I've come to my senses and believe that my bag is finally set. I am happy...although I keep asking myself if I now need a backup set. :angry:

Finally got around to reading all the posts and responding to this. I didn't see anything wrong with the original post, but I'm a sarcastic type of guy as well, so I probably read it as intended. I think this was a good topic to get us thinking about why we buy clubs. For myself, I think it's all about getting something I'm completely happy with in looks, feel and performance.

It used to be that I did a lot of fishing and golfed once a year. So I bought new fishing gear all the time and was perfectly happy with my garage sale golf clubs. It didn't make me a better fisherman but it felt good to get something new. Now the tables have turned and I don't even go near the fishing department in the stores anymore and hang out in the golf department instead.

This thread did serve one good purpose, I'm now much clearer on the Women-Shoes thing.

Here is what happens to me. There is a small shop that has almost every club available to demo out on the range or course and he lets me have them for 2-3 days. So I go in once every month or two and just grab a couple to see what they feel like. This is how I ended up buying the I20's and also how I found THP.

I went in early this year and just hit 10 or 15 different irons in his shop. The I20's felt great and I couldn't believe how well I hit them (inside). I wasn't looking to buy irons as I had the 2010 AP1's. But I had to take the I20 out to the range and man did I hit it so much better. It is great to be able to compare it side by side with the AP1's.

So I had to find reviews on them and the only place that actually had reviews at the time was here. What a great thing, finding this place. So after a month and reading the reviews of the guys on this forum, I went back and took the demo out to the course. After the round I had them ordered.

The I20's added about 6-7 yards per club and also the mishhits (which I have a lot) were less punishing. So in reality the new irons actually did help my game even though I don't have a great pro swing.

Trying and buying new equipment is fun.. It's exciting..

I don't change my stuff rapidly like some do, but I really get a kick out of experiencing new gear.

Exactly why I do it. The last 12 calendar months have seen me purchase, 5 top end driver shafts, 7iron sets, 8 drivers, 5 3 woods, 3 wedge sets and 4 putters. None of them have really made my game better, but I always like trying out new things. I I didn't like it I can just pick up the last club in that category and keep on trucking.

However, this year is different. I'm getting the Apex irons and that's it for 3 years. I'll probably get the Big Bertha Alpha or Beta. Time to settle down and let some clubs make an honest man out of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought my first new driver for 8 years this week. Hitting the course for 9 holes this afternoon before deciding to game it on Saturday. It is nice getting new clubs but I only change something when I find something I really want for a good price, otherwise I'm happy sticking with what I have.

I think all my latest purchases have been because of my improved swing more than anything. Since taking lessons last year my direction, shot shape, distance, and trajectory have all changed.
For me it has affected the bottom end of the bag more than the top end. By that I mean I am longer everywhere and some of my wedges didn't cut it as far as distance was concerned. I am changing them all out one at a time currently.

As for irons - I think the time has come for change this year - and fitting.

I don't ! ... I stay faithfull to my four wives :D

Back