When I was 4 my dad would take me out and show me how it was done, and I loved coming out to the golf course with him. I would always ask him if we could go, and when he said no that made me want to go even more. Now he is always wanting to take me and asking me if I could show him how it is done, or if I could come out and help him out with his swing.

FIFY.

I started because my advisor freshman year in high school was the golf coach and wanted me to play. I agreed to play and now I love it. Been playing for 2 years now and don't plan on stopping!

grandpa took me to the range when I was a kid, didnt play a whole lot til a summer job at a course, then basically through college adn a few years when I got done, until I moved to Cincy...I can thank my neighbor asking me to play all of the time for what is now an obsession

My father started quite by accident back in Feb '73 and I got the bug 2 months later at the age of 11, so I really do have a lot to thank him for regarding my sporting passion.

Yes I am sure you can all add up, I am almost 50.

Merged with an existing thread.

I went with my dad one summer day before I started college. I have been hooked ever since.

Had good friends who played in college and med school, and I would go hack around with them... Really got into it a couple of years ago when I finished my training... Now I'm hooked and play as much as I can, or should I say, as much as the wife lets me!

One of my co-workers needed a 4th man for a scramble so I decided to give it a go. I went and took 2 lessons before the event so that I at least knew how to swing the club. That was about 2 years ago and I've been hooked ever since.

In my late 20's, got up one Saturday expecting to play basketball with some friends. They had other ideas, golf store to driving range to course. That killed a Saturday, been hooked ever since.

My uncle took my dad and I to the range about 9 yrs ago and we are both hooked now. We both play more then my uncle. I played 6yrs of golf in school (8th-freshman n college) and now play every weekend if its nice weather

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

My Grandparents, but never both of them at the same time. "Gramps" was a duffer and business man and one of the club's founders in the 20's. I mostly shagged balls for him on Wednesdays because he couldn't get his regular caddied to do it for him before his 8am tee times. "Nana" was the ladies club champoin for 6 straight years and I went with her on days when she needed a caddie. She got me started carrying bags when I was 9 or 10, and after her round I was taken to the local "public" course for my own golf outings. She made sure I had money to play there because the club they belonged to didn't have any junior golf and as a kid you had to be 13 to play there. I put my own set of clubs together and played till dark every time I went. To this day, I've never gotten on the course that my granparents founded.

Played soccer until a house fire messed up the nerves in my ankles then I picked up golf. Started for 3 dollars a club with free green fees in an inner city program. I'm so happy I found the game. I really love it

My Grandparents, but never both of them at the same time. "Gramps" was a duffer and business man and one of the club's founders in the 20's. I mostly shagged balls for him on Wednesdays because he couldn't get his regular caddied to do it for him before his 8am tee times. "Nana" was the ladies club champoin for 6 straight years and I went with her on days when she needed a caddie. She got me started carrying bags when I was 9 or 10, and after her round I was taken to the local "public" course for my own golf outings. She made sure I had money to play there because the club they belonged to didn't have any junior golf and as a kid you had to be 13 to play there. I put my own set of clubs together and played till dark every time I went. To this day, I've never gotten on the course that my granparents founded.

wow that really sucks... why wont they let you?

My dad played golf occasionally when I was younger in Maryland. One year the local course was making renovations and created temporary greens in front of the original. This shortened the course considerably and they allowed kids under 12 to play as a result. I was 10 at the time so my dad took me out. I remember very little of the round, except for holing out from 40 yards out and misunderstanding how to pronounce Titleist. Every month or so after that he would catch me on the way out the door to the school bus and say, "Let's take the day off from school and go play golf." Those were the best days of my life back then. I found out when I got older that the high school I would be going to had a golf team, which would mean lots of free golf. I went out for the team as a freshman, but I totally blew the tryouts. Over the next summer I got a job at the local country club (Fox Hill in Longmont, CO) and played at least once a day every summer. I was on varsity the next three years and loved it.

I was a rookie cop in 1991 and my training unit was close, bunch of great guys. We did many different things together and in the attempt to limit the frequency of the bar scene, we started to play golf.

Every last one of us had never touched a club before, save for me, and that was only for one single round 6 years prior when I was 16. A small core of us continued to play every week and once the good shots became a bit less of an accident, I was completely hooked.

My friend dragged me because he wanted to try out the range We shared 1 driver he bought for $20 at Play it again Sports. A week later I had a full set of clubs. 4 years ago. Never get enough

I have always loved sports. In Jr. High I played football, baseball, ran track and wrestled. My Freshman year in High School we moved and I changed schools. I decided that I didn't want to do team sports anymore. I think largely because of my own insecurities (I was a very small kid... 5' tall 85 lbs.) So I focused on things where my size was less of a hinderance. I joined the golf team and continued to wrestle. Golf was great and I loved the technical and analytical aspects of the game. It was fun and challenging and I was competing against myself everyday until we had a tournament and then I would use that self competition to push me to perform better in tournaments. Loved the game ever since.

I had a lot of friends who played and they convinced me to buy a set when I was 18

Same here: Friends

I have friends that are fanatics and a close buddy from HS is a pro and after messing around on my own and failing miserably, I called up my buddy and now with weekly lessons with him I'm getting hooked.

i have been playing volleyball until i turned 32. then, even after surgery, my shoulder let me down, and my first daughter came.
i had always had a few friends (most ex-volleyball players as well) who had turned to golf, and ALL of them kept telling how addictive this game was.
as a matter of fact, i had already decided that after quitting volleyball i would give it a shot: and so i did.
i took a couple of lessons, back in 2006, and was immediately hooked.
and, i was lucky enough to convince my wife to start this together: even if for a couple of years, due to the birth of our second son, we could go play maybe once a month, we never quit.
my kids are now 5 and (almost) 3, so since last spring we got the chance to go and play at least once a week, we passed our rules test and are now able to take part in tournaments as well.

i already plan to have my older one start playing next spring-summer. she already has a kids' 7-irons with which she loves to hack balls around in the backyard.

Last edited:
started playing when i was 20 (now 28) with a work think, i walked a course carrying one of the lads clubs hit the odd shot every now and then absolutely loved it. went out the following week and bought a starter kit, spent about 2 weeks at the range just getting the hang of it, then played my first round with my father and never looked back greatest game i have ever played.

my godparents had the catering franchise up at the golf course and my mum worked for them at their other place,but every so often she would go up and do a shift at the golf course and i would tag along.get an awesome aberdeen angus burger and occasionally go out on the course with my godparents son.this is where i started to get an interest for golf and decided to try it out.i took to it like duck to water bud sadly after 3/4 yrs i gave up..............biggest mistake of my life.

i think i was 9/10 at the time and it was 1995.the reason i reckon it was 95 was because the first ever golf tournament i wached on the tele was the 95 open at st.andrews.......and what a finish to that,even at 9 i couldn't believe rocca holed that putt.

My Grandfather had a falling out with the club pro many years after my caddie days and the rumor is that "Gramps" punched him out in the clubs parking lot. It's widely known that both were "gambling" men and one can only guess. I visit Wisconsin mainly during the winter months for the holidays, so the course is always snowed in. I suppose if I visit during the summer, I could probably get on due to the fact of the "legend" surrounding my family's involvement and the novelty of the decades old event of the "punch out"

I went to work at a new company and they had a Monday nite 9 hole golf league. I had never played golf before but thought it a good chance to meet and get to know the people I was working with at the new company. My main sport at that time was baseball and I thought as others did at the time that golf was an elitist game. This was back in the early 60's and Arnold Palmer was then the King of the game. The game sure looked easy on TV, but I found it a challenge and once I started it was a game and a love for a lifetime.

I got into golf by my dad when i was 4 I am 17 now and really love to play the game.

I cant play today becase it is raining hard out side.:banghead:
I hope that this rain doesn't screw up my golf game. I guess I could putt inside.

Back