Now to some initial thoughts on performance. First, let's be real. This is a better's player driver, or at least it's advertised as such. I get that, and you should get that I'm not a better player. I just want to make that all clear before I go any further, because my experience is going to be unique to me.

Keep in mind this is a 9 degree head. If I was picking, which I'm not, I would definitely go up to 10.5 and possibly 12 degrees, especially because I tend to like to set drivers up open a degree. I compared against my trusty 11.5 degree XHot (set open to 10.5) with a 50'ish gram Fuji Fuel shaft.

I was not super scientific about this. If you want that, you're probably not going to get it here. I'm just a normal guy. This is 5 shots from each with Titleist ProV1x RCT balls, with an attempt to take out any misses I felt were egregious from a swing perspective. I can't really take out average/mediocre golfer misses, because it would be sort of irrelevant to my experience.

Ball speed average was 1mph higher with the Dynapower, but carry was noticeably lower (for me) by about 14 yards. I feel relatively confident about the distance numbers, however ball speed numbers are somewhat dubious in my mind (see some of my posts on the Garmin R10 for reference).

Launch angle at the neutral setting was definitely lower than my gamer.
XHot -13.4
Dynapower - 12.1

Spin was also quite a bit lower:
XHot - 3106
Dynapower - 2419

Some of that lowering in spin was due to a couple Dynapower mishits that dropped me down into scary low numbers (1600-2000)

Seeing these averages, I felt like a change to increase loft was worth a shot. This is sort of a scary thing to me, because I already have a lot of face closure at impact and move the ball left. I was pleased to see the face didn't look incredibly shut at address. Unfortunately, this change was a total disaster for me. I have no clue why, but I lost 2mph ball speed and another 20+mph of carry, launch angle dropped to 9.4, spin dropped to 2399. Just a bunch of really poorly hit, low balls that carried nowhere.

Since that didn't work at all, I opted to do the complete opposite and dropped loft a degree. I mean, why not? Unfortunately, by the time I did this I was actually playing a Sim round. I will say that I saw results more comparable to the neutral setting and eventually my best hit drive of the day in terms of ball speed, carry, and shot shape. Maybe that's coincidence and maybe it's just a matter of being more comfortable. That's a main reason why I like to see how things flesh out over time. Definitely excited to keep working with it.
Generally speaking raising loft will reduce speed, but not a ton. Although will increase the forgiveness obviously.
I am really looking forward to following along.

Generally speaking raising loft will reduce speed, but not a ton. Although will increase the forgiveness obviously.
I am really looking forward to following along.

In a perfect world I’d definitely start out with a higher lofted head. adding a couple degrees of launch and a few hundred RPMs of spin would be pretty huge for me.

In a perfect world I’d definitely start out with a higher lofted head. adding a couple degrees of launch and a few hundred RPMs of spin would be pretty huge for me.

@Hawk would the Titanium model be better for you?

@Hawk would the Titanium model be better for you?

Possibly. Some of that depends on just how draw biased it really is. I have zero issues shutting a face down :beat-up:

One short session doesn’t tell me the whole story though. I ended really strong with it. It can take some time to adjust in my experience. I know some people can decide in minutes, but I’m not really that way.

Here’s a sound clip. This is indoors, so make of it what you will. It’s always a different experience.

I will say it’s quieter than my other titanium driver. I dig the sound quite a bit.
View attachment 9151605
Like the sound. After Triton it could only get better

Being an old Dynapower player, I have to hit these, just because..
I bet they feel pretty good.. off to see if Carls has the irons...

On June 18, 1960, a 29-year-old Arnold Palmer, riding an impressive wave of five wins in five months, stunned onlookers with a closing round 65 in the US Open at Cherry Hills. Sitting seven strokes behind the leader after the third round, Palmer managed to climb from 15th place to 1st with his famed combination of power, precision, and passion. Included in the list of names he managed to best that day were Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, and Gary Player, a who’s who of what was possibly golf’s most romantic era.

In his bag that day was a set of irons that seemed like they were named just for him: Dynapower. Dynamic. Powerful. Really, what two words could better describe Arnie? In reality, Dynapower irons were introduced four years earlier in 1956, and weren’t named for Palmer at all. Still, no one can deny the seemingly perfect fit they were for him during arguably his most dominant stretch as a professional golfer.

Continue reading...

can't wait to demo all the new clubs. My golf coach is a Wilson staffer. Will be fun to test.

I want to try the driver.

Being an old Dynapower player, I have to hit these, just because..
I bet they feel pretty good.. off to see if Carls has the irons...
Take your time. They are t available for a month I thibk

I find myself coming back to this thread and re-reading the information @Hawk provided.

Hope you get a chance to demo @J.B. Cobb III. I'd really like to see the irons in person. I feel like pictures aren't telling the whole story with them.

I'm still nursing a back injury, but did manage to get more time with the Carbon before that happened. I think the biggest issue I see from a fitting perspective is that it was launching on the lower side for me. I felt like some of that was contact related, as I seemed to find the bottom of the face more than I liked. I did experiment with a half inch taller tee and it did positively impact how I hit the ball. Getting up higher on the face (not high, just higher than I was) helped get that launch number up and the spin was actually pretty stable for me. It didn't really drop like I was worried it would. Interestingly, while you'd maybe expect a low-face strike to ramp up the spin, I didn't really see that. I can think of a lot of people that would find that useful. Off-center impacts are definitely not as stable as something with a really pushed back CG, so I do feel the face twisting on those shots. That should be expected I think.

This is traditionally where W/S has completed their launch, Enjoyed a week of reviews and threads then stop like a herd of deer are is in the middle of the road. Keep promoting. Where did the hustle go. Use influencers, more reviews. use Wilson athletes from other sports. You’re big in a bunch. More pictures. Act like a big guy. It’s so easy to blow off all the Dyna good otherwise. Plus so much good stuff out there.

This is traditionally where W/S has completed their launch, Enjoyed a week of reviews and threads then stop like a herd of deer are is in the middle of the road. Keep promoting. Where did the hustle go. Use influencers, more reviews. use Wilson athletes from other sports. You’re big in a bunch. More pictures. Act like a big guy. It’s so easy to blow off all the Dyna good otherwise. Plus so much good stuff out there.

This is such a good idea. Just this week a video of Mike Trout crushing a ball at Top Golf went viral. He's a Rawlings athlete, but imagine that same type of viral response and its a Dynapower in a player's hand.

Yeah its very obvious that their social media marketing has skyrocketed over the last 2 weeks. No need to let things die on the vine. Be active, get the goods in the hands of reviewers who'll write articles and make videos, you name it. Supposedly they have a big Director of Golf Marketing or something like that, which came as a shock to me because it often feels like a rotating cast of interns doing their marketing.

Back to the line itself - I like what I'm hearing about the drivers so far and can't wait for some more thoughts once Hawk heals up. Hopefully we have some more info on the irons soon.

Doing a little more testing to get ready for another home page article.

I've played around with cog settings quite a bit and it does seem like standard loft gets me the best results. This 9 degree head would be a killer for higher speed players that are looking to keep spin down. You'd expect adding loft would give me better numbers, but I think I'm just a weirdo. I actually launch it higher in standard than +1.5. Contact issue more than anything, as ball speed and smash are way better standard too.

For me, the lower launch and spin drops my carry quite a bit, but total yardage numbers solid. Average 230 and longest of 242. Highest ball speed of anything I hit today actually. One day I'm going to track down a higher lofted head and see what it does for me, because I think adding about 3 degrees of launch would be pretty special.

Sound/feel at impact is really nice. I've been hitting an older Ti driver a bit for another thing I'm doing and I really appreciated what I was hearing from the Carbon.

I really want to try one of these drivers. One thing that is sitting in the back of my mind is if I do like this driver, would I benefit waiting 6+ months or a year and pick one up at a discounted price? It just seems traditionally, Wilson has dropped the price of their drivers quicker than most OEMs.

I really want to try one of these drivers. One thing that is sitting in the back of my mind is if I do like this driver, would I benefit waiting 6+ months or a year and pick one up at a discounted price? It just seems traditionally, Wilson has dropped the price of their drivers quicker than most OEMs.

Yea, that's a tough call. Maybe you find one used or demo to save a few bucks, though even that would be a while down the road.

Both Kisner and Mullinax are not using a Dynapwr driver according to the WRX pics. Tough scene.

Both Kisner and Mullinax are not using a Dynapwr driver according to the WRX pics. Tough scene.

Mullinax never was going to have it in the bag, but Kis was supposed to. That’s sort of the risk of bringing him on staff I think. Seems like an OEM’s worst nightmare when it comes to getting product in his bag.

I always thought they took their first mark down late.

Back