Wilson Staff Model Blade and CB Irons

I saw pictures of the repainted and wrapped Wilson Staff tour truck on IG. It has the new shield and script. I guess we will see if their committed once they launch the next line of woods. Hopefully they’ll use the new shield on hats, gloves, bags, umbrellas etc. I keep reading that they want to re-establish themself as a premium brand. Time they act like one. If I were them I’d dump red as the primary brand color. But that’s me.
I’m actually shocked they have a tour truck. Is that PGA Tour or Euro? The staff is just a couple of guys and most irons only.

It’s got a Tennessee license plate. Your comment of tour players is well taken. IMG_0294.pngIMG_0295.png

@Hawk those article photos almost need a NSFW tag. This is a gorgeous-looking pair, and I love that the visual flows so well between the two sets. I would happily bag those CB's.

I'd love to test out one of the Staff Model CB 7 irons to my Mizuno MP20 MMCs. I really like the look of the CB.

I wonder if we've reached a point where Players Irons are the easiest irons to produce because they have the least amount of tech. So that maybe this is the sweet spot of the irons segment for some companies because they don't have to spend on L&D, etc.

They always hit a home run with these but seem to fall flat with the messaging. I am not sure if they are relying on the hard core players who will be getting these or are doing some serious inventory control to maximize profits. Either way I love the look and design, but a little bit out of my playing ability.

Last edited:
This release has me excited for the DYNAPWR forged irons.

Little story from a few years ago. I was in a PGASS hitting different irons with a fitter and I was hitting Apex 21's, previous models of the Srixon ZX5's, etc... and the fitter said you want to try these Wilson Staff blades? And I just said, I can't hit blades, I'm not good enough for those. He said just try them. I did, and I could hit those. I can now say that if I ever wanted to go blades I'd give Wilson a shot. They were soft, sweet, and just felt really good. If these newest ones are anything like the 2019 model or better, then they have got to be good.

Last edited:
Hot Take- I think Wilson should find a way to get these irons into Rick Sheils bag. Him gaming them will probably move the needle more than anyone else on their current roster.

The CB seems smaller in size than the blade to me. The Staffs are super easy to hit for the player they’re aimed at! Had the FG100 and the previous model as well. Highly underrated irons! Just wish the price point was a touch lower, although it seems competitive. Well done W/S, well done!

Great article, I know I can never resist strolling past the Wilson display & picking these up as they are so pretty. Look down & it's another story.

The CB's are very intriguing but I may be turned away by the 'accomplished player' part there 🤣

Hot Take- I think Wilson should find a way to get these irons into Rick Sheils bag. Him gaming them will probably move the needle more than anyone else on their current roster.
Seems like Rick tries most new Wilson stuff. Going back to D vs D 2 he generally gives them a go.

This release has me excited for the DYNAPWR forged irons.
Same here. These are sexy but way beyond my ability. The DP Forged hopefully have a lot of this offerings DNA

I wonder if we've reached a point where Players Irons are the easiest irons to produce because they have the least amount of tech. So that maybe this is the sweet spot of the irons segment for some companies because they don't have to spend on L&D, etc.
I've kind of been waiting to get into this conversation I saw a comment leading me into it.

You are right that this segment of irons encourages the least amount of technology, but it's certainly not void of technology, especially if you look at the irons that are getting the most Tour play. Sometimes that's weighting, sometimes it's sole design, forging processes, progressive CG, etc., etc. You do start getting a less traditional look, at least in the cavity, the deeper you go down the rabbit hole I guess.

Anyway, this was an interesting release to me, because it dropped a couple technologies that have been staples of Staff irons for a long time (tungsten weighting and framing behind the face). In its place is a throwback to FluidFeel Hosel, which was new technology in the 1960's. I'm very curious why the went that route. That doesn't mean they won't perform of course, but what is there to seal a purchase compared to something like the T100, Apex CB, Mizuno 243, etc. ?

Buddy has the prior iteration and they are fantastic. Every time I play with him, I grab his sticks to hit.

I've kind of been waiting to get into this conversation I saw a comment leading me into it.

You are right that this segment of irons encourages the least amount of technology, but it's certainly not void of technology, especially if you look at the irons that are getting the most Tour play. Sometimes that's weighting, sometimes it's sole design, forging processes, progressive CG, etc., etc. You do start getting a less traditional look, at least in the cavity, the deeper you go down the rabbit hole I guess.

Anyway, this was an interesting release to me, because it dropped a couple technologies that have been staples of Staff irons for a long time (tungsten weighting and framing behind the face). In its place is a throwback to FluidFeel Hosel, which was new technology in the 1960's. I'm very curious why the went that route. That doesn't mean they won't perform of course, but what is there to seal a purchase compared to something like the T100, Apex CB, Mizuno 243, etc. ?
I was very surprised to see them move away from the tungsten story compared to others on and hitting the market.

These are some really good looking irons. Nicely updated with a modern look. Well done Wilson Staff!

Nice looking irons except for the missing W/S in the shield. Even though it says staff on the blade I think it actually cheapens the overall iron, almost a discount department store type iron look....IMHO

Love to hear from the inside why Fluid Feel is coming back, appealing to that older generation ideal of a forged blade for the new generation or if it truly makes a change in how players can control the face better.

When I got back in the game in 2017, bought a set of V4s. Beautiful forged irons, loved them. Nice article, of course click on the Wilson site and the customize irons link (I'm looking at graphite choices) doesn't work.

Superb feel and pure nostalgia!

Excellent write up @Hawk

I would kill to have the skill level to play these (those blades are next level sexy). Regardless, something inside me wants to take a swing or 100 with an 8 iron. The cavity backs would probably be a little more "fun" but I have always wanted to swing a beautiful, proper blade iron.........

Great article! I would like to try the CBs, and it’s pretty awesome that Padraig has already won with them!!

Incredibly clean. With so many product releases I hope these don't get lost to the noise and news of everything else.

Amazingly underrated and so so clean. Big props to Wilson!

Back