Wilson Staff Model Blade and CB Irons

I do think they look good, but I know I won’t see them in person near me which makes that hard.
In my area they are more plentiful in stores (not necessarily on courses), but Edwin Watts and WorldWide stores do a good job of providing lesser known options, which is nice. As does PGA Tour SuperStore.

I've kind of been waiting to get into this conversation I saw a comment leading me into it.

You are right that this segment of irons encourages the least amount of technology, but it's certainly not void of technology, especially if you look at the irons that are getting the most Tour play. Sometimes that's weighting, sometimes it's sole design, forging processes, progressive CG, etc., etc. You do start getting a less traditional look, at least in the cavity, the deeper you go down the rabbit hole I guess.

Anyway, this was an interesting release to me, because it dropped a couple technologies that have been staples of Staff irons for a long time (tungsten weighting and framing behind the face). In its place is a throwback to FluidFeel Hosel, which was new technology in the 1960's. I'm very curious why the went that route. That doesn't mean they won't perform of course, but what is there to seal a purchase compared to something like the T100, Apex CB, Mizuno 243, etc. ?
You kind of talked about it in your article, but not sure I fully understand getting rid of a few of the design features in the CB.

In my area they are more plentiful in stores (not necessarily on courses), but Edwin Watts and WorldWide stores do a good job of providing lesser known options, which is nice. As does PGA Tour SuperStore.
We finally have a PGA SS So maybe that’ll be shot here soon. I’d like to experience them, but in the end, what would make someone pick these over say, a V6 which you could get for a song with a ton of tech in them. It’s all super confusing to me.

BUT, I do love trying players cb/mb’s haha

You kind of talked about it in your article, but not sure I fully understand getting rid of a few of the design features in the CB.
I mean, there's different ways to do things, but it is definitely noteworthy for such a staple to go away like that. I want to say tungsten has been a fixture of their irons for close to 10 years.

In diving in, what do you think the reasoning was to move on from a denser material like tungsten in the CB design, when so many other irons are moving towards it? Or better yet, not all designs in the class use it, but let's examine a few others in a similar class.

Mizuno 243 - Multiple materials used including copper and chromoly.
Callaway Apex CB - Multi material using mim weights progressively
Srixon ZX7 MKII - Big sole design story and pureframe
Cobra KING CB - This might be the closest comparison
Titleist T100 - Multiple materials including tungsten

Obviously the list goes on, but if you are a fan, what's the grab? Do they look better? Perhaps, that is subjective and super important.

as a 223 player (currently), i'd be interested in comparing the two...although, the 243/245 probably pique my interest a bit more.

I mean, there's different ways to do things, but it is definitely noteworthy for such a staple to go away like that. I want to say tungsten has been a fixture of their irons for close to 10 years.
They always nail the looks of their players irons. I like the badging.

Even though the comments have been light on this thread at least we’re talking about the product and not big box stores, box sets or how it was back in my day. I see that as progress. Lol

Even though the comments have been light on this thread at least we’re talking about the product and not big box stores, box sets or how it was back in my day. I see that as progress. Lol
Careful, that might be like saying Beetlejuice too many times. ;)

I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on these if they gamed the previous version.

I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on these if they gamed the previous version.
I gamed the previous version of the MB. One set was 3-p with s300 bent 2 degrees weak and other set was 4-p with Px 5.5 graphite,standard lofts. Very underrated iron in its class!!Easy to hit and soft as butter. They were, for me, a tad larger footprint than I like. Therefore I went back to my ole trusty FG17s that I just can’t get away from.

Will Wilson be sending clubs for THP to test.

Yes, we are expecting to see them soon. Pretty excited tbh 😍
Awesome, must be fun trying all this new stuff.

Circling back to the irons, there are tons of comments about how great they look.
Question for those that love the look of them. Will you be testing them out?
@Hawk I genuinely expected more to discuss testing them out as the time passed.
Im starting to wonder if some brands have become "in theory".

Circling back to the irons, there are tons of comments about how great they look.
I might hit them, but I’m more interested in the DYNAPWR Forged.

@Hawk I genuinely expected more to discuss testing them out as the time passed.
Im starting to wonder if some brands have become "in theory".
Yea, it's very much a window shopping thing imo. Much hard to drop that $1200.

I might hit a CB but know the Forged is closer to my ability. I guess those aren't coming out for a while. I think JB's comment may be on target.

I might hit a CB but know the Forged is closer to my ability. I guess those aren't coming out for a while. I think JB's comment may be on target.
I've been thinking about the CB's quite a bit. The Forged could be cool too though.

Great write up, I’m not the target golfer for these, but they look like the kind of irons that I wish I had the game to do them justice.

If I see them I’m thinning a few with them!
😒

Since you mentioned that…

Will they be seen as “less than” since they haven’t quite hit the now popular $200/club pricing we’re seeing from other OEMs?

Since you mentioned that…

Will they be seen as “less than” since they haven’t quite hit the now popular $200/club pricing we’re seeing from other OEMs?
Yea, that's an interesting question. I don't think that will really be the factor that gives them that appearance.

Yea, that's an interesting question. I don't think that will really be the factor that gives them that appearance.
My guess would be that golfers who consider "players" irons know what they are looking for performance wise. They probably have a brand preference which doesn't include Wilson. Or you just don't want to be the guy with Wilson in the bag. It might be harder to crack the better club consumer than the average guy/gal whether your Wilson, PXG or a DTC brand. It's a good question and another issue for Wilson to overcome. My assumption has been that the blade and cb were eye candy for the majority of us and the DynaPower Forged would be the club they have to nail.

Back