Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
I was wondering what people think of Winn grips. I like the feel of them (in the store anyway) but I've heard some negative things about their durability and overall quality. I did a search of the forum but didn't find much.

thanks
Mike

Years ago and I mean 5 to 10 years ago my wife put them on her clubs. They had to be replace after one season which for her was about 35 rounds. We both use Golf Pride or Lamkin. I have heard that Winn grips are much better today.

I had a Winn grip on my driver. The one I had was really soft and squishy. It was nice to swing but with that softness came lack of durability.

I haven't really used Winn grips other than on putters. But if you're willing to think outside the box a great grip is Star grips Sidewinders. I put one on my Cobra 3 wood that I bought in 2003 and no lie that grip still feels like new. Only a tiny bit of wear from where I grip with my right thumb. I can't explain it. That grip is going on 9 years old. Just something to think about. I find them on ebay.

http://www.stargrip.com/cgi-bin/FamilyOfGrips.exe

Last edited:
I like the Winn Lite grips for driver and fairway woods. I've heard it said a few times on the Internet that most find that the Winn Lite Firm is the most durable, so I have stuck with the Firm.

I just put the Winn Dri Tac on a driver and it seems pretty good. Love the feel after using the New Decades for so long this feels so soft and easier on the hands.

I had the Winn Lite Firm grips last year and was less than impressed with the durability. They seemed to wear down very quickly compared to the Golf Pride New Decade that I now use and had used in the past. I really liked the feel of the Winn grips, but the durability was poor. I had to change my driver and wedge grips a few times within a six month period. Just my two cents...

Given that the grips don't seem to last very long (and they're pricey), is their something similar out there that lasts longer?

I'm not adamantly opposed to regripping clubs frequently but if I could find something more durable I'd prefer that.

Mike

I just put the Winn Dri Tac on a driver and it seems pretty good. Love the feel after using the New Decades for so long this feels so soft and easier on the hands.
I did all my irons in DriTac. I really like them so far.

Quality product and they support a good cause. I have used them quite often in my golfing years.

Really low durability, and I don´t like the excessive soft... For womans, perhaps, but not for me.

I've used them pretty much exclusively since I started back playing, acceptable wear in my eyes. Sure they aren't going to last multiple seasons but not many do, except those that are on the harder side. I've got x17 on my irons and they're good as the day I bought them.

An occasional wash with soap and a nylon brush does wonders.

--
tapatalk

If the player has a good grip they will easily last the year most grips companies say you should change them, but if you have a bad grip they won't.

I use the Winn Lite Hero's and I have no problems with them.

I have Winn on my clubs and have now for a while. I do not wear a glove and I am happy with them. Yes they do wear down a little more than others but because I like they way the feel it does not bother me. My son has Lamkin on his and I do not like the way they feel and he does not like my Winn's. Try them once and if you don't like them then just try something else until you find what works best for you.

I love love love the Winn grip on my putter. Nice and tacky. Currently, I have Black Widow dual compounds on my clubs, but I'm thinking about moving to something tackier. I tend to grip too hard and I think it may help.

I'm not normally overly hard on grips, but had a Winn grip on my gap wedge (great deal through work) and it lasted less than a season. In comparison, GP Tour velvet's have lasted me over two seasons now.

If it ain't a Pure Grip, it ain't worth my time.

Love Winn putter grips, not so much on any of my other clubs. I haven't found anything I like better than a Winn midsize for my putter. But I don't want super soft grips on my other clubs and I don't like the feel of their firm. Too humid in FL for them to hold up very long, also. (Putter is fine because you don't get the same rubbing motion on a putter grip as on full swings.)

I have the Winn jmbo grip(love it) on my TM Ghost Spider and I tried them on some irons a few years ago.
Back then I found them to be a little too "cushy" for me and have had nothing but Golf pride since.

If it ain't a Pure Grip, it ain't worth my time.

How well do the pure grips hold up for you? Did you get your from the THP Store?

How well do the pure grips hold up for you? Did you get your from the THP Store?

Yeah I got mine from the THP store. Since We have a few inches of snow on the ground and got hit by a freezing rain storm last night here in Wisconsin, I have yet to get them on the course and take full swings with them. But I can say this, the grips sure feel like they aren't going anywhere on full swings.

Thanks Blugold ,I'm looking to upgrade my grips on my R-11 irons and have pondered the Pure grips. I think I can fabricate an end for my air gun to use for the install with no problem and save some $$. Was curiuos how well they hold up to sweat and body oils over a season. May have to pull the trigger and get some.

Thanks Blugold ,I'm looking to upgrade my grips on my R-11 irons and have pondered the Pure grips. I think I can fabricate an end for my air gun to use for the install with no problem and save some $$. Was curiuos how well they hold up to sweat and body oils over a season. May have to pull the trigger and get some.

There's a great deal on a whole Pure kit with installation tool at Rockbottomgolf.

How do the feel of Pure grips compare to Winn grips?

I use a Winn W5 on all my clubs. I like the softer feel of them. They seem to hold up pretty well for me, but im probably looking to move to the Pure grips if i can find one to try out.

Back